Player Discussion David Backes

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Have always liked Backes. Plays a similar game to one of my favorite Ex-Rangers Callahan. Were even on a line together a couple times in the Olympics, same team as Kesler. The guy is a leader, Boston’s depth pushed him out, and I hope he can find a resurgence in Anaheim or at least help the kids learn to play the right way and act the right way on and off the ice.

From what I’ve heard he had to waive his NTC to come to Anaheim. So I hope he can prove the league wrong that he still has some more in the tank to give.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I assume he'd clear waivers again, if needed, to go to San Diego. Is he someone that could help them in a potential playoff push?

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I assume he'd clear waivers again, if needed, to go to San Diego. Is he someone that could help them in a potential playoff push?
He didn't report to Providence and out of respect the Bruins didn't force him to or punish him for not doing so; they let him sit out while they tried to help him find another NHL home. I believe the Ducks want to keep him in Anaheim to help mentor the kids.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
so disappointed that he couldn’t get his Cup with the B’s last year

good luck to him. he actually still has some good hands. good shot, and can handle the puck surprisingly well. he just doesn’t have the legs

I’ll be curious how physical he is now. When he turns it on he is super physical, but I feel like this last concussion on the Sabourin hit may make him a bit more timid

but a great guy with a great charity too if you love animals

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Loved him 10 years ago. one of the last true power forwards. What the Tkachuk punks should have been.

I honestly have no idea what he has left in the tank. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, have an acquaintance that knows him personally and says he’s a really nice guy.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not sure where the last concussion left him but before that he had enough game left to contribute in a 4th line role. At the very worst he will provide leadership and some physicality.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't mind the idea of Deslauries Grant Backes

I feel like 1 of rowney grant or shore are gone by deadline.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I’m not sure where the last concussion left him but before that he had enough game left to contribute in a 4th line role. At the very worst he will provide leadership and some physicality.
he looked slow tho

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
he looked slow tho

Getzlaf is slow too. Slow players can still contribute if they have hockey sense and other abilities.

Backes has certainly lost a few steps. But he still has good defensive smarts and decent hands. Not saying he’s going to play in the top 9 but on the 4th line he should be effective.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He didn't report to Providence and out of respect the Bruins didn't force him to or punish him for not doing so; they let him sit out while they tried to help him find another NHL home. I believe the Ducks want to keep him in Anaheim to help mentor the kids.

Oh ok, I thought he got assigned and he was down there. Hopefully he can help the kids that come up then.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't mind the idea of Deslauries Grant Backes

I feel like 1 of rowney grant or shore are gone by deadline.

Hopefully at least 2 of those guys. Shore for sure should be traded for anything (could see him being in rumored Columbus deal) and likely one of Grant or Rowney. Seems like its should be Grant given their contracts.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hopefully at least 2 of those guys. Shore for sure should be traded for anything (could see him being in rumored Columbus deal) and likely one of Grant or Rowney. Seems like its should be Grant given their contracts.
If it was between rowney or grant id hold onto grant... but I imagine grant will be much easier to move and likely holds a bit more value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad