Player Discussion David Backes waived - Assigned to Providence - Will not report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

it was a great outcome for the Kings. they will be ditching salary and dont need the cap space and managed to save a whole lot of real dollars. where was the risk to the Kings? how did they list on this deal? the only person who took a risk was kovy by voiding the contract and walking away from real $

I mean, it's great for the owner's checking account balance but that's about it. I don't know how $6.25M in dead cap space plus the cost of a replacement player puts the Kings in a better spot.

I guess I'm struggling to find where I should be envious of the Kings in that situation. Are they returning the money to the fans by dropping ticket prices or concessions? Cash back rebates?

For cap purposes, it's just like they have the player, but they don't. In our case, at least we're saving cap space by having him in the AHL.

Kovalchuk is very selfless I guess though, he's spreading his wealth around and now sits on 3 different NHL cap sheets for this year and next. What a guy.

Reactions: Over the volcano

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I mean, it's great for the owner's checking account balance but that's about it. I don't know how $6.25M in dead cap space plus the cost of a replacement player puts the Kings in a better spot.

I guess I'm struggling to find where I should be envious of the Kings in that situation. Are they returning the money to the fans by dropping ticket prices or concessions? Cash back rebates?

For cap purposes, it's just like they have the player, but they don't. In our case, at least we're saving cap space by having him in the AHL.

Kovalchuk is very selfless I guess though, he's spreading his wealth around and now sits on 3 different NHL cap sheets for this year and next. What a guy.
we can agree on one thing. it's all about the money for Backes and Kovy.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
‘Impossible to move’: The Patrick Marleau trade sets a...

Thinking that hinders the B's ability to move him more than any NTC does. Adding a RW is the same cost if not even more than just moving Backes.

B's going to the market without a first and down a prospect may put them in a tougher spot to add than they are in today.

Well that was in the summer, so the pain of someone picking up Backes is a lot less than it was prior him collecting that big signing bonus plus most of the season's salary already paid out. Then he's only on the hook for whoever for one year instead of two afterwards. Is the price still a 1st and prospect? It could be, but it could be less than that now.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
‘Impossible to move’: The Patrick Marleau trade sets a...

Thinking that hinders the B's ability to move him more than any NTC does. Adding a RW is the same cost if not even more than just moving Backes.

B's going to the market without a first and down a prospect may put them in a tougher spot to add than they are in today.

This is why I don't see them trading him. Sweeney isn't going to want to pay the cost just to get rid of him.

I think the only way you're getting rid of him via trade is if you find a budget team, who's got a player with a lower cap hit, but more money owed. After his $1 million signing bonus is paid 7/1, Backes will have $3 million left in base salary next year. Need to find someone with a lower cap hit who costs more than that. Unfortunately, I don't there are many players/teams who fit that description.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
the difference is, I highly doubt that you and your employer could come to a mutual agreement letting you stay and home and actually make more money
Man sign me up for this and all I have to do is say I am working on things and show no proof of it anywhere on social media.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
How many "quality high end producers" even make it to FA to begin with? Not many. And of those few, how many live up to their contracts on their new teams? Not many GMs have a winning record there.
I mean Chara and Savard worked out quite well for us. And I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but I'm not going to go do the work for it cause I don't care enough.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Let's see if I have this right- According to @BigGoalBrad (who cites zero sources), David Backes & his agent deliberately structured his contract to f*** the Boston Bruins over if Backes couldn't live up to it and the Bruins wanted to move him for that or other reasons.

Do I have that right? :huh: :sarcasm:

If that was true it would mean that Don Sweeney is the biggest fool to ever sit in the GM's office of a professional sports franchise.

member 96824

the difference is, I highly doubt that you and your employer could come to a mutual agreement letting you stay and home and actually make more money

Somedays I think that would be best for both of us :laugh:.

but you better believe I’m applying to do this for the Bruins next year

Reactions: RoccoF14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad