Player Discussion David Backes waived - Assigned to Providence - Will not report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We will never know if Backes used his NTC or not. Until it’s traded it’s likely/possible he has. Whatever I’m not going to guess or give an opinion on if a trade was there that he blocked.

He structured the deal with his agent specifically to give us no options to move him summer 2019 if his game fell off. That’s not an opinion it’s fact. They buyout proofed the **** out of it for a reason likely taking a little less money to screw us and give us no flexibility to buy him out or move him if the deal went sour with 2-3 years left.

And now he can’t show up to his 6 mil job to play hockey.

It is what it is.

'They'....really?
Put a gun right up to good old Sweens temple eh?
Or should I say 'us'?
Must have been a scary moment for sure. 'fact'...wow.........scary indeed.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Also despite not being part of one but being in an industry where they exist I am very pro union.

Backes not retiring could have been in part to not want to let his fellow players down setting precedent for that he’s a union guy and they wouldn’t want him to do that.

But from that angle he definitely should have gotten in line with the Ladds and Moulsons and gone to the AHL. Or gone on LTIR.

This situation is absolutely the worst case scenario for everyone other than the guy getting paid to not work who would be happy to play in the NHL but is too good for the AHL and our GM is just doubling down on the lack of accountability in the organization for vets.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Also despite not being part of one but being in an industry where they exist I am very pro union.

Backes not retiring could have been in part to not want to let his fellow players down setting precedent for that he’s a union guy and they wouldn’t want him to do that.

But from that angle he definitely should have gotten in line with the Ladds and Moulsons and gone to the AHL. Or gone on LTIR.

This situation is absolutely the worst case scenario for everyone other than the guy getting paid to not work who would be happy to play in the NHL but is too good for the AHL and our GM is just doubling down on the lack of accountability in the organization for vets.

I do have to ask, what is the point of any of this? The situation is the situation with David Backes. I don't know, you don't know, probably no one here knows exactly what has gone on between Sweeney, Backes, Backes' agent, Neely etc. You are making a shit ton of assumptions and then acting as if what you suspect is reality. Why? And let's suppose for a minute Backes is getting a free pass to collect his money without playing. What does it matter? Do you honestly care if he plays for Providence? If not, then it is probably okay just to say the situation sucks, but the people involved in it will take care of it in one way or another.

member 96824

My response clearly stated Sweeney and Backes
have contractual rights. That's not my poibt though

My point is pretty basic, that average fans have every right to throw shade at both of them for how its handled. Backes, because he can't be bothered to even drive to Providence to practice and maintain his conditioning and Sweeney for allowing it. How entitled are you that you can't be bothered to even practice.

Please, please spare me any Iverson references.

What if...and hear me out cause this is a wild one..the Bruins don’t want him practicing to eliminate the risk of injury before the deadline.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What if...and hear me out cause this is a wild one..the Bruins don’t want him practicing to eliminate the risk of injury before the deadline.

Don Sweeney said this very thing when asked. But that was right before he said that the team is also not in the business of holding veteran players accountable for anything, so I don't know.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
has any other player ever been given a one month sabbatical before trade deadline? has any other player been given the same mutual agreement to not report? strange situation.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
When Seattle joins the league, how quickly do they have to make the salary cap floor? I believe Vegas had to make the floor in the first season. That’s hard to do with scrubs.

Any chance Sweeney/Backes are just waiting to next year to unload the situation ( a fringe, veteran that still wants to play) on Seattle, a team that will need a “bad contract” and could use some leadership?
It's a good idea. The only problem is the expansion draft is in 2021 when Backes is a free agent.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
you mean the guy that voided his contract and took league minimum in montreal to show he could still play. your man Backes wont be doing that
You mean after the month they told him he'd be a healthy scratch for the foreseeable future and just a day after he got his 2.5 mil bonus? His no-play/no-report arraignment was real similar - he could have waived his NMC to go to the AHL.

And before you get too heated about what he was willing to give up, know he was only due the league minimum from LA when he terminated his deal.

But no biggie though because he was obviously washed up.

Last edited:

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
You mean after the month they told him he'd be a healthy scratch for the foreseeable future and just a day after he got his 2.5 mil bonus? His no-play/no-report arraignment was real similar.

And before you get too heated about what he was willing to give up, know he was only due the league minimum from LA when he terminated his deal.

But no biggie though because he was obviously washed up.
I will take Sheppy's advice because your love affair with David Backes is odd to me.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Only cost the Kings 6.25M against the cap this year and next.

What a great outcome.
it was a great outcome for the Kings. they will be ditching salary and dont need the cap space and managed to save a whole lot of real dollars. where was the risk to the Kings? how did they list on this deal? the only person who took a risk was kovy by voiding the contract and walking away from real $

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
it was a great outcome for the Kings. they will be ditching salary and front need the cap space and managed to save a whole lot of real dollars. where was the risk to the Kings? how did they list on this deal? the only person who took a risk was kovy by voiding the contract and walking away from real $
He signed in MTL for the same amount for the rest of the year that LA owed him as he already collected his bonus money.

two weeks off while negotiating the buyout.
He wasn't bought out. He collected his bonus and walked.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

member 96824

“Impossible to move,” said one assistant GM of Backes' contract “It would be a high-end pick plus a prospect. The only way is a bad contract for a bad contract.”
‘Impossible to move’: The Patrick Marleau trade sets a...

Thinking that hinders the B's ability to move him more than any NTC does. Adding a RW is the same cost if not even more than just moving Backes.

B's going to the market without a first and down a prospect may put them in a tougher spot to add than they are in today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad