Player Discussion David Backes waived - Assigned to Providence - Will not report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Curious is he actually skating anywhere? He should be in Providence for the practices and drills to keep up to speed. Interesting we hear nothing or see no footage. I imagine other GM's would like to see proof he is still hungry. I hope he is working out with at least a college team and not with figure skating girls again. That 6 million cap hit would be nice to help the Bruins make a deal and keep Krug.
Don't you underestimate those little girls.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
How many "quality high end producers" even make it to FA to begin with? Not many. And of those few, how many live up to their contracts on their new teams? Not many GMs have a winning record there.

Well knowing that why give a older guy 5 years at 6 per?This deal had fail on it from the start.I really think it played in to losing the Cup last year to.A legit 6 million dollar player could have turned 1 of them 4 lost games .

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
A. NTC
B. When did he invoke it in the first place? Is there a trade that was agreed to that he declined?
(Which, as pointed out, is still his contractual right per the contract the Boston Bruins gave him)

Yeah its his right to invoke it and Sweeney's right to
let him collect $6M while sitting on his ass.

Its also any fans right to throw shade at an
obscenely paid jock collecting millions of dollars
for refusing to work. Not a difficult concept to grasp is it?

If Backes is still with Boston after the trade deadline
and they could do it they should ship him to the ECHL.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Curious is he actually skating anywhere? He should be in Providence for the practices and drills to keep up to speed. Interesting we hear nothing or see no footage. I imagine other GM's would like to see proof he is still hungry. I hope he is working out with at least a college team and not with figure skating girls again. That 6 m
illion cap hit would be nice to help the Bruins make a deal and keep Krug.

This is the part that I think pisses people off. All Sweeney
needed to do is demand Backes practice with them.
Bruins could just say they dont want to play him.
Just unbelievable this guy collects on his contract
pulling this crap.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Well knowing that why give a older guy 5 years at 6 per?This deal had fail on it from the start.I really think it played in to losing the Cup last year to.A legit 6 million dollar player could have turned 1 of them 4 lost games .

If he had signed STL offer good chance he sinks
STL Cup and Boston played SJ...lol.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
So you know he is not practicing? You also make sweeping seemingly moral judgments on his decisions.

Are you family of his, can you qualify your insider knowledge that you are basing these statements upon?

Or are you a bitter fan who wants cap space for a new toy and are willing to smear and degrade another human being because things are not going your way?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This toxic thread looks to me to be more about the posters posting in it than David Backes.

If you don't know ****, don't say ****.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
So you know he is not practicing? You also make sweeping seemingly moral judgments on his decisions.

Are you family of his, can you qualify your insider knowledge that you are basing these statements upon?

Or are you a bitter fan who wants cap space for a new toy and are willing to smear and degrade another human being because things are not going your way?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This toxic thread looks to me to be more about the posters posting in it than David Backes.

hundredaires sticking up for billionaires against millionaires

member 96824

Yeah its his right to invoke it and Sweeney's right to
let him collect $6M while sitting on his ass.

Its also any fans right to throw shade at an
obscenely paid jock collecting millions of dollars
for refusing to work. Not a difficult concept to grasp is it?

If Backes is still with Boston after the trade deadline
and they could do it they should ship him to the ECHL.

right right, that’s what it is. You’re worried about the return on investment for the Jacobs family.

very noble of you.

There is a good quote I think about when I visit HF. “Better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”

member 96824

I seriously don't why Sweeney couldn't fix his mistake. This is getting ridiculous. We'll end up knowing the reasons at some point.

Let’s start the list:
1. No trade market for a $6M 35 going on 36 year old healthy scratch
2. Buyout too expensive and adds years, extending the issue
3. No one wanted him for free on waivers
4. AHL (the path that the Bruins took) saves a little, but doesn’t save enough

what else?

@BigGoalBrad also mentioned that a trade was done and David invoked his NTC to block it, so we can add that...but I have to admit between you and I, I’m skeptical of his sources.

Reactions: Smitty93

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Him and Sweeney deserve everything they get over this deal cause both of them failed the fan base here.It is a brutal contract.And his family is a heck of alot better off then most so do not give us that .And your damn right we want cap space.Trying to win a Cup not a popularity contest

Last edited:
Reactions: Mission ImPastable

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I seriously don't why Sweeney couldn't fix his mistake. This is getting ridiculous. We'll end up knowing the reasons at some point.
They are treating Backes with respect due to his longevity in the NHL, and how he is viewed by his teammates.
This will only go for so long, and I imagine it ends after the TDL.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
right right, that’s what it is. You’re worried about the return on investment for the Jacobs family.

very noble of you.

There is a good quote I think about when I visit HF. “Better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”

If you think what I wrote has anything to do with Jeremy Jacobs, you don't need to look in a mirror, you need to look in about a dozen.

So another words, start taking your own advice.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Let’s start the list:

what else?
The reasons why, since they send him to the AHL till now.
I mean you don't send someone to Providence, then allow him to take the byweek to think about it. Then the chance to stay in Boston, not practicing with the team but on his own, until the trade deadline. Please don't come up with the " Bruins respect him" fantasy dream.

member 96824

If you think what I wrote has anything to do with Jeremy Jacobs, you don't need to look in a mirror, you need to look in about a dozen.

So another words, start taking your own advice.

I start my day looking at 15 mirrors, all with different lighting just to make sure I’m at least a 7 in any situation that pops up.

I’m still waiting to hear how it’s David Backes’ fault that the Bruins gave him a contract. A lot of misguided anger at Backes, which is whatever, people like to make themselves look a certain way...but the post you were replying to is a story that @BigGoalBrad has said many times, that DB is holding up a solution by invoking his NTC...and yet he’s never had any proof. Weird.

FWIW, I hated the contract the moment ink hit paper and it’s well documented here. Not to pat myself on the back, but the only guy that was more right than me was @EverettMike, who hated it even when it was rumored to be a 1 year deal.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

member 96824

The reasons why, since they send him to the AHL till now.
I mean you don't send someone to Providence, then allow him to take the byweek to think about it. Then the chance to stay in Boston, not practicing with the team but on his own, until the trade deadline. Please don't come up with the " Bruins respect him" fantasy dream.

It doesn’t really impact us to be honest whether he’s riding a bus from Providence to Hartford or not. Don’t people here usually complain that vets are blocking young guys in the AHL anyway?

The whole “if he says no to voiding his contract then he’s riding the bus!!! f*** him!” Is really really weird to me.

But I trust that the people who’s job it is to work on these things and think about them every day have a better grasp on the situation, and the options at hand, than any of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The whole “if he says no them he’s riding the bus!!! **** him!” Is really really weird to me.

But I trust that the people who’s job it is to work on these things and think about them every day have a better grasp on the situation, and the options at hand, than any of us.
Totally agree with this. My comment in previous post
"We'll end up knowing the reasons at some point."

Was more wanting to know the story about the negotiations that happen between Backes agent and upper management. Sweeney/Neely allowed Backes team to try to find a possible trade.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I start my day looking at 15 mirrors, all with different lighting just to make sure I’m at least a 7 in any situation that pops up.

I’m still waiting to hear how it’s David Backes’ fault that the Bruins gave him a contract. A lot of misguided anger at Backes, which is whatever, people like to make themselves look a certain way...but the post you were replying to is a story that @BigGoalBrad has said many times, that DB is holding up a solution by invoking his NTC...and yet he’s never had any proof. Weird.

FWIW, I hated the contract the moment ink hit paper and it’s well documented here. Not to pat myself on the back, but the only guy that was more right than me was @EverettMike, who hated it even when it was rumored to be a 1 year deal.

My response clearly stated Sweeney and Backes
have contractual rights. That's not my poibt though

My point is pretty basic, that average fans have every right to throw shade at both of them for how its handled. Backes, because he can't be bothered to even drive to Providence to practice and maintain his conditioning and Sweeney for allowing it. How entitled are you that you can't be bothered to even practice.

Please, please spare me any Iverson references.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

member 96824

For context... trade deadline is over, Backes wasn't traded...

Now what?

You keep Backes in the AHL and start working toward a solution this summer.
1. trade
2. Trade with retained salary
3. Play in the A or suspension
4. buy-out

Probably in that order. Suspension path carries risk. You’d have it worked out before hand but on the last day Backes could be like “I have one more year in me” and bam you have an additional $5m hit.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For context... trade deadline is over, Backes wasn't traded...

Now what?

Once the deadline passes, teams can have unlimited number of players on their NHL roster. So I would assume at that point they would bring him back to the Bruins and he would be once again an option for them in case of injuries. Essentially a stretch-drive black ace.

They are will be still paying him and his cap hit still against the cap. I thought part of the reason he was waived was the Bruins wanted to shake things up internally but needed roster spots, namely Ritchie and Backes, to add a couple young guys in Blidh and Kuhlman. Not a concern after the deadline.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
When Seattle joins the league, how quickly do they have to make the salary cap floor? I believe Vegas had to make the floor in the first season. That’s hard to do with scrubs.

Any chance Sweeney/Backes are just waiting to next year to unload the situation ( a fringe, veteran that still wants to play) on Seattle, a team that will need a “bad contract” and could use some leadership?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You keep Backes in the AHL and start working toward a solution this summer.
1. trade
2. Trade with retained salary
3. Play in the A or suspension
4. buy-out

Probably in that order. Suspension path carries risk. You’d have it worked out before hand but on the last day Backes could be like “I have one more year in me” and bam you have an additional $5m hit.

Why have this reasonable opinion when you can jut hate on the player/organization instead?!

Reactions: BMC and BrainOfJ

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Let’s start the list:
2. Buyout too expensive and adds years, extending the issue
3. No one wanted him for free on waivers
4. AHL (the path that the Bruins took) saves a little, but doesn’t save enough

what else?

@BigGoalBrad also mentioned that a trade was done and David invoked his NTC to block it, so we can add that...but I have to admit between you and I, I’m skeptical of his sources.

We will never know if Backes used his NTC or not. Until it’s traded it’s likely/possible he has. Whatever I’m not going to guess or give an opinion on if a trade was there that he blocked.

He structured the deal with his agent specifically to give us no options to move him summer 2019 if his game fell off. That’s not an opinion it’s fact. They buyout proofed the shit out of it for a reason likely taking a little less money to screw us and give us no flexibility to buy him out or move him if the deal went sour with 2-3 years left.

And now he can’t show up to his 6 mil job to play hockey.

It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad