Should Backes have played game 7 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
i assume they will work with backes to find a soft landing spot for him. buyout makes no sense and evan gold
is too sharp to let that happen. i don't have any idea on the insider stuff, but my guess would be that backes will
be happy to move on since it's clear cassidy sees him as a bit part. possibilities i see:

1) find team looking for "leadership and character" that doesn't have cap issues. trade him after bonus is paid on july 1
(sweeney will bend over on this deal and have to offer a nice sweetener or 2)

2) find team willing to take backes for 50% retained (same bending over process as in #1)

3) find other team with problematic contract and work something out

4) if nothing reasonable presents itself, he comes to camp in september with fair chance to make the team.
when he fails to be one of the top 13 F, they send him to the AHL. he either agrees or doesn't
Well said. I'll be shocked if he's back next year. Thank you for your service, but this isn't a fit anymore.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hah! It’s bad for bad but they get 2 years less of $6M overpayment and we get at least a tough hitter, fan favorite and then Jesse reclamation project. No?

I put the odds of Ken Holland having interest in David Backes at zero percent. Even if it meant getting rid of Lucic. We've seen how he builds his teams in Detroit, they were basically the first team to decide they didn't need an enforcer. Historically one of the softest teams of the past decade. He puts a heavy emphasis on skating and skill. He values qualities basically the opposite of Backes (minus the character/leadership factor).

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I put the odds of Ken Holland having interest in David Backes at zero percent. Even if it meant getting rid of Lucic. We've seen how he builds his teams in Detroit, they were basically the first team to decide they didn't need an enforcer. Historically one of the softest teams of the past decade. He puts a heavy emphasis on skating and skill. He values qualities basically the opposite of Backes (minus the character/leadership factor).
Ya, but Milan has 4 whole seasons left at $6M. Holland can’t be looking forward to choking on that S sandwich.

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ya, but Milan has 4 whole seasons left at $6M. Holland can’t be looking forward to choking on that S sandwich.

I'm sure he'd love to get out from under that contract. But it won't be to take back David Backes. Just not his MO based on his past history of building teams the past decade or so.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Assuming they can't trade him because no one is interested and it would cost too much for it to be worth it to the Bruins, maybe they send him to Providence next year, and then buy him out the following year. In terms of cap savings, that would save you $1.050 million next year, $2 million in 2020-21, and then cost you $1 million in 2021-22. That may be the best scenario they can live with. If they just bought him out now, they'd only save $0.333 million next year, $2.333 million in 2020-21, and then it would cost them $0.666 million in both 2021-22 and 2022-23. That means the buy-out now option would cost them an additional $700k+ more than the buy-out next year option.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that he's washed up and unlikely to play a part on this team next year, he's not just going to pass up the $8 million left on his contract. He probably wouldn't even pass up the $5 million after they pay him his $3 million bonus on July 1, though I'm not sure how that would affect the cap.

Sometimes I think the NHL cap/contract rules hurt both team and player. I'm sure if he knew he had to play in Providence next year, Backes would just prefer to terminate his contract and be able to sign on the cheap with a team that has a chance of competing and could use his leadership. But he's not going to do that because he doesn't want to give up the money owed on his contract. I'm sure he'd be ok with a buyout, but it doesn't make financial sense for the Bruins to do that.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Assuming they can't trade him because no one is interested and it would cost too much for it to be worth it to the Bruins, maybe they send him to Providence next year, and then buy him out the following year. In terms of cap savings, that would save you $1.050 million next year, $2 million in 2020-21, and then cost you $1 million in 2021-22. That may be the best scenario they can live with. If they just bought him out now, they'd only save $0.333 million next year, $2.333 million in 2020-21, and then it would cost them $0.666 million in both 2021-22 and 2022-23. That means the buy-out now option would cost them an additional $700k+ more than the buy-out next year option.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that he's washed up and unlikely to play a part on this team next year, he's not just going to pass up the $8 million left on his contract. He probably wouldn't even pass up the $5 million after they pay him his $3 million bonus on July 1, though I'm not sure how that would affect the cap.

Sometimes I think the NHL cap/contract rules hurt both team and player. I'm sure if he knew he had to play in Providence next year, Backes would just prefer to terminate his contract and be able to sign on the cheap with a team that has a chance of competing and could use his leadership. But he's not going to do that because he doesn't want to give up the money owed on his contract. I'm sure he'd be ok with a buyout, but it doesn't make financial sense for the Bruins to do that.
Yeah I don’t know what they do with him if they can’t move him,makes zero sense to have him in the lineup,would much rather have prospects getting there chances.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
They can move him because he's not owed much after July 1 and it is a high cap hit. Still have to sweeten pot and he has to agree to go, which I think he would for the most part. He's not totally done, there's a 1 or 2 year job for him on a team like Phoenix or Vancouver or Ottawa that needs some 4th line veteran presence for a very young core. He's just not going to be put on a contender, especially with a 6m cap hit. I feel badly for him, to be honest. Reason # 544 I wish they had just won the damn game on Wednesday.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Structure of the contract makes it buyout proof. Too much of a dead cap hit to do that.

Cash cost to a team would be an extra $1.5 million or more per year if you say that another player would cost a team under $1 mill to fill that same role. But those teams have other options so comes down to sweetener and his willingness to be open with his no trade list.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
I really hope he's shipped out.

28 goals over three seasons.
Averaged 30 points per season.
Accounted for $6 million per year on the cap.

What an utter failure of a contract.

Add the $3,066,667 in dead space on the cap from Seidenberg and Beleskey, and this team could have had another $9 Million this past season to play with. That's messed up.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hey, how’s it going! Believe it or not, but I like you - ha. I do think it’s time for Backes to ask for a trade. I think Arizona would be a good fit for him. Was the signing a success? Well, you did reach the Cup Final and that was the goal when Boston signed him. But at this point with how Cassidy benched him in the Finals, I think it’s pointless for Dave to stick around. If Boston can find another home for Dave this off season, it would be best for both parties. And given the fact that this SC series brought back physical grinding hockey, now other teams might be more inclined to beef it up some. So Backes will have more market value now. If the Bruins unload Dave this off season, then yes, the Bruins got their money’s worth IMO. PS— Backes is not a turtle like you claim him to be and it wouldn’t have hurt if he played last night. Later friend!

Of course you do, I'm a f***ing delight. :laugh:

We're simply on different sides of Backes. You saw him when he was good and had value. I've been subjected to the guy that wants to contribute and tries, but simply doesn't have the ability any more. It's okay, but he's simply not worth the money at this point. My guess is that they'll relegate him to 4th line duty next year and let him play it out.

Congrats the cup win! Enjoy it because they're few and far between with the parity in the league now.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Of course you do, I'm a ****ing delight. :laugh:

We're simply on different sides of Backes. You saw him when he was good and had value. I've been subjected to the guy that wants to contribute and tries, but simply doesn't have the ability any more. It's okay, but he's simply not worth the money at this point. My guess is that they'll relegate him to 4th line duty next year and let him play it out.

Congrats the cup win! Enjoy it because they're few and far between with the parity in the league now.

Thanks! It's like a dream for us. Can't believe it. It was fun playing the Bruins, I know you guys will be back. You're GM is very active, he's always trying to improve. It would be a blast if we met up again next year. Hope the Bruins have a great off season to your liking!! :)

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Thanks! It's like a dream for us. Can't believe it. It was fun playing the Bruins, I know you guys will be back. You're GM is very active, he's always trying to improve. It would be a blast if we met up again next year. Hope the Bruins have a great off season to your liking!! :)

You're out of line posting here this week.

Go celebrate your title with your own people.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If TPA or Wash played to their potential,the Bs nor the Blues would have been there.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
So, what does everyone make of Backes' comments yesterday?

"....the writings on the wall...."
Sad to hear it, but seems inevitable he's not with the team going forward. It's obvious to him, obvious to us. The how it goes down is the question. Sad for him, sad for those that like the feel-good story.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So, what does everyone make of Backes' comments yesterday?

"....the writings on the wall...."

I think he knows one way or another he won't be in Boston for their 1st regular season game in October. Whether that means he's traded, sent to Providence, bought out (very unlikely with his contract structure) or the decision is his not to return (also unlikely as he'd be throwing away millions).

He lost some weight last summer and it really didn't make much of a difference. He's physical but most of his hits are long after the puck is gone. I still think the Bruins coaches missed the boat completely on him making him into a power winger right off the bat.

One of the reasons IMO that Coyle has been so good in Boston is he's a full-time C and not a winger, because he's much more effective when he's engaged and moving his feet all the time playing in the middle. The wing can become a more stationary position when defending.

And even though Backes doesn't have Coyle's current foot-speed, I think he would of brought decent value as a big strong defensive center, breaking up plays down low and he's still a very good face-off guy. True, by Backes own admission he thinks he isn't up to playing C anymore, I simply think he's wrong, I think he could do it. That's neither here nor there now, he'll never be a center for the Bruins even if he does play another game wearing the spoked B. I just think it was an opportunity lost on both sides.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I like Backes as a person, but what's his excuse for being the worst skater in the league? Does he not work with anyone in the offseason? I've seen even seasoned vets improve their skating with specialized training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad