Player Discussion David Backes V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
the bolded statement is why I'm not going to waste my time debating this with you any more. If that's how you see the last 3 games then I'm sorry but you're completely delusional and seeing exactly what you want to see.

and statements like "I despise analytics" just make you seem so incredibly ignorant. You despise information? That's effectively what you're saying. "I don't like knowing things". Cool, congrats you are willfully ignorant.

Not every "advanced stat" is perfect, but knowing that the team generates way more shot attempts than they give up when a particular player is on the ice is literally just information about what is happening in the games. If you want to ignore that information in favor of your feelings about him being "quiet" then that's fine, you go on living in your imaginary reality.

Analytics are for people who don't watch games. The Billy Beanes will never succeed in hockey, analytics do not work in hockey. by watching the games I can see a Bruins team being physically man handled after game 1 and a coach who thought it was a good idea to scratch a physical player in Wagner for a rookie in Kuhlman who produced nothing and was more invisible than Heinen. All while leaving a veteran who goes to the net in the press box for guys like Heinen and Kuhlman.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Analytics are for people who don't watch games. The Billy Beanes will never succeed in hockey, analytics do not work in hockey. by watching the games I can see a Bruins team being physically man handled after game 1 and a coach who thought it was a good idea to scratch a pyhsical player in Wagner for a rookie in Kuhlman who produced nothing and was more invisible than Heinen. All while leaving a veteran who goes to the net in the press box for guys like Heinen and Kuhlman.
Ya I’m getting roasted for not liking Heinen game on the top line. People are putting out advanced stats and if you disagree with them your mindless.

Reactions: Mpasta

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Analytics are for people who don't watch games. The Billy Beanes will never succeed in hockey, analytics do not work in hockey. by watching the games I can see a Bruins team being physically man handled after game 1 and a coach who thought it was a good idea to scratch a pyhsical player in Wagner for a rookie in Kuhlman who produced nothing and was more invisible than Heinen. All while leaving a veteran who goes to the net in the press box for guys like Heinen and Kuhlman.
Kuhlman literally assisted on the only Bruins goal in game 3, making the play that enabled the whole sequence.

But hey like I said, keep posting nonsense & ignoring reality. You're definitely changing hearts & minds.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I love when someone accuses you of not watching the games and then makes a claim about the last game that anyone who actually watched the game would know is bullshit.

I'm seriously so done with this board right now.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

People who don't understand analytics say this...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If David Backes is the answer, I don't even want to hear the question. I can appreciate the warrior mentality he brings but he simply cannot keep up with the play anymore. It would be fine if he were a step behind, but he's more realistically 5 steps behind. That being said, if the coach thinks it will help to have him out there and spot him in certain situations, so be it. I personally don't think he'll move the needle, but since the team looks tired and he's well rested, hopefully I'm misguided.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If David Backes is the answer, I don't even want to hear the question. I can appreciate the warrior mentality he brings but he simply cannot keep up with the play anymore. It would be fine if he were a step behind, but he's more realistically 5 steps behind. That being said, if the coach thinks it will help to have him out there and spot him in certain situations, so be it. I personally don't think he'll move the needle, but since the team looks tired and he's well rested, hopefully I'm misguided.
rather see speed and skill out there. He**, I`d put a raw rook in like Senyshyn before Backes but I know nothing as many here have told me

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
rather see speed and skill out there. He**, I`d put a raw rook in like Senyshyn before Backes but I know nothing as many here have told me

The dogma is that the B's are getting out hit and being out worked physically so the pundits are thinking that adding in a more physical player like Backes is the answer. In reality, I agree with you. They shouldn't try to match physical play with Columbus as that's what Torts wants. They should go all skill and try to you know, score some f***ing goals for a change. But yeah, sure. Backes physical play will be the catalyst for the win tomorrow. Mainly because I said it won't happen. :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The Bruins have gotten 1 point out of Marchand, Bergeron & Pastrnak in this series, but somehow putting in Backes & Wagner is gonna get them to finally score some goals. :rolleyes:

The problem isn't the bottom 6, it's the top 6. Swap in Backes all you want, maybe it gives them a spark or whatever, but it's not addressing the problem which is that the Bruins top scorers aren't scoring.

Reactions: BruinDust and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Bruins have gotten 1 point out of Marchand, Bergeron & Pastrnak in this series, but somehow putting in Backes & Wagner is gonna get them to finally score some goals. :rolleyes:

The problem isn't the bottom 6, it's the top 6. Swap in Backes all you want, maybe it gives them a spark or whatever, but it's not addressing the problem which is that the Bruins top scorers aren't scoring.

This is exactly right. So silly to think shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic will change anything, but hey, have at it.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The dogma is that the B's are getting out hit and being out worked physically so the pundits are thinking that adding in a more physical player like Backes is the answer. In reality, I agree with you. They shouldn't try to match physical play with Columbus as that's what Torts wants. They should go all skill and try to you know, score some ****ing goals for a change. But yeah, sure. Backes physical play will be the catalyst for the win tomorrow. Mainly because I said it won't happen. :laugh:
No - it looks like they want to get more traffic and jam to the net and Backes can do that as well as anyone on their roster. The hitting game seems secondary right now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No - it looks like they want to get more traffic and jam to the net and Backes can do that as well as anyone on their roster. The hitting game seems secondary right now.

Backes used to be able to do that. Now he's five steps behind every play. By the time the dude gets to the net, they play will be in the Bruins end...lol

I mean Jesus, what's Backes and his whopping 2o points this year really going to do? Net drive? Yeah, no. He can't even keep up with the play. No shot of that happening. Literally a desperation move and one that screams nowhere else to turn for Cassidy.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Kuhlman literally assisted on the only Bruins goal in game 3, making the play that enabled the whole sequence.

But hey like I said, keep posting nonsense & ignoring reality. You're definitely changing hearts & minds.

Yup, and how about in a Game 7 where Kuhlman used physical play to knock Gardiner off the puck which allowed the Johansson goal to even happen.

Even a guy like Brian Burke who loves hard physical hockey admits analytics is a valuable tool in player evaluation. I doubt you'll find many hockey ops people or coaches who believe analytics are the be-all end-all in player performance evaluation.

Unfortunately for some posters everything must be black or white.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The dogma is that the B's are getting out hit and being out worked physically so the pundits are thinking that adding in a more physical player like Backes is the answer. In reality, I agree with you. They shouldn't try to match physical play with Columbus as that's what Torts wants. They should go all skill and try to you know, score some ****ing goals for a change. But yeah, sure. Backes physical play will be the catalyst for the win tomorrow. Mainly because I said it won't happen. :laugh:

Hard to go for strictly “speed and skill” when they’re peeling themselves off the end boards and the ice. They’re getting trucked.

I’m all for speed and skill, but there has to be a mix of physicality in there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hard to go for strictly “speed and skill” when they’re peeling themselves off the end boards and the ice. They’re getting trucked.

I’m all for speed and skill, but there has to be a mix of physicality in there.

And you think Backes in the answer?

I mean, the guy was an anchor around the necks of whomever he played with all season long, yet he's the answer in the biggest game of the year? I simply cannot see it.

You want to swap out Nords for Wagner, sure. Okay. But Backes in for anyone makes no sense to me because that's how bad he's been.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
And you think Backes in the answer?

I mean, the guy was an anchor around the necks of whomever he played with all season long, yet he's the answer in the biggest game of the year? I simply cannot see it.

You want to swap out Nords for Wagner, sure. Okay. But Backes in for anyone makes no sense to me because that's how bad he's been.
I absolutely do not think he’s the answer. I just think he’s the best option if you want to bring some physicality in. I don’t think it’s a move that hurts or benefits the Bruins, honestly.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I absolutely do not think he’s the answer. I just think he’s the best option if you want to bring some physicality in. I don’t think it’s a move that hurts or benefits the Bruins, honestly.

He literally averaged 2 hits a game for the season(140 hits for year in 70 games). I really don't see how two measly hits per game is enough to warrant him playing in any situation when he was so god awful all season long, let alone in a do or die must win game like tomorrow. Hopefully I'm wrong and he surprises me, but he was such a giant bag of suck all year long I don't think I am.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He literally averaged 2 hits a game for the season(140 hits for year in 70 games). I really don't see how two measly hits per game is enough to warrant him playing in any situation when he was so god awful all season long, let alone in a do or die must win game like tomorrow. Hopefully I'm wrong and he surprises me, but he was such a giant bag of suck all year long I don't think I am.
If you really value that stat you might want to look at his numbers this playoffs (leads the team in hits/game) - but I don’t think you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad