Speculation: David Backes House For Sale

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So our centers next year are

Stasnty

Lehtera

Maybe Sobotka/Berglund

Wow can't wait to matchup vs Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thornton, Johansen, Toews, Seguin etc
I'm so glad you know exactly what's going to happen this offseason.

Good lord the overreaction in this thread is embarrassing.

No disrespect to Backes but acting like the team is done without him is so ridiculous. :laugh:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Don't get excited. He wants to downsize, but stay in St. Louis. With his love of animals, I expect to see him put an offer down on a house in Dogtown.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If we let Backes go, it's a mistake.

At any price? I think Backes is still valuable to this team, but at this point, he is a third line right winger with a great knack for deflecting shots on the power play.

We have to put a dollar value on that, and effectively estimate how many good years he has left. If David wants more than that, he should move on. Its on him, not on us.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
If we let Backes go, it's a mistake.

I don't want him to leave but I have to disagree with this. He can easily get 6x6 on the open market and that would be a huge mistake for the Blues, players who play his style regress dramatically once they start getting in their mid 30s, he's already 32. That contract would be a killer for us in the long run and probably cost us a player that could actually be helping us win down the road. I love Backes but it's probably best for both parties for him to move on, he likely only has one big payday left so he should go cash in while he still can.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't want him to leave but I have to disagree with this. He can easily get 6x6 on the open market and that would be a huge mistake for the Blues, players who play his style regress dramatically once they start getting in their mid 30s, he's already 32. That contract would be a killer for us in the long run and probably cost us a player that could actually be helping us win down the road. I love Backes but it's probably best for both parties for him to move on, he likely only has one big payday left so he should go cash in while he still can.

I think you are missing the forest for the trees. You still have to replace Backes if you let him go. There is no one else that can fill his shoes currently on the roster. Good luck finding someone who can replace him that won't cost close to the same amount of money is currently being speculated on him getting, that is putting up the numbers he did, and has his defensive ability. I don't think it would take 6 years. I think he'd settle for 5 or maybe even 4 if the money were right. I'm not necessarily happy with 5 years, but I think you do it if it comes down to 5X6 to keep him. We made it to the final four. I'd rather keep the group intact while we still have a cup window open. If everyone's complaint is money, I don't think you are going to get more or even equal for less than what he's asking. If the complaint is that his contract will hurt us down the road; We will need a retool in a couple of years anyway to remain competitive. I think letting Backes go puts us in retool mode now.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I'm actually crying. This is a mistake and it probably closes our cup window unless we find a replacements.
But nobody, not even Stamkos is an equivalent replacements. The physicality, leadership, net front presence, size, defensive ability.

Who do we have to shutdown the other teams big dogs? Who do we have to be our net front presence on the PP? Who do we have to provide energy with hits? Who do we have to lead this team.

My pillow is soaked from all the crying and I hope Armstrong knows what he's doing. I can guarantee were not a cup contender if he leaves. He hasn't even dropped off, just played a different role and was a huge reason we went to the final 4.

Depressing. Maybe I'm just too emotionally attached but if he walks were a lot worse.

I'll agree with you. We have to have him back. Our team identity is all about being big and physical. It's a must to have him back. We don't need a team of misfits again. Blues have to make it work and bring Backes back. And after that hopefully Brouwer sticks around too.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I am not impressed with Backes' physical game these days. His relentless checking is a thing of the past. His value is playing in front of the net. How much is that worth?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I am not impressed with Backes' physical game these days. His relentless checking is a thing of the past. His value is playing in front of the net. How much is that worth?
Yep. Really not sure what anyone is looking at if they think Backes is the one that sets the tone physically these days.

He's not going to be the player he was in the next 5 years.

You have to make the smartest business decision for the team and it's quite shocking how people apparently think we will be lost without him. Asking who is going to lead the team? Lol, seriously? Some of you guys think Backes is the only capable one on this roster of wearing a damn 'C' on his chest? Get a grip here.

And furthermore, this reminds me of when Patrick Marleau put his house up for sale a few years ago. I still can't believe he's not wearing a Sharks jersey anymore.

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
I'm so glad you know exactly what's going to happen this offseason.

Good lord the overreaction in this thread is embarrassing.

No disrespect to Backes but acting like the team is done without him is so ridiculous. :laugh:

Pretty sure Im going off the hypothetical if Backes is gone that's a little scary going into the season next year with that center core champ.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Putting a house on the market is a lot different than selling a house officially. Better to put it on the market, then pull it off when he resigns than put it on July 1st when he leaves. This is the safer option but doesn't limit the chances of him staying here IMO

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If Backes were to walk, I think we need to know if Steen is viewed as a center going forward. I think Hitch is toying with that idea. I read a quote, can't recall if it was Armstrong or Hitchcock. But was implying Steen might center Tarasenko.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Backes were to walk, I think we need to know if Steen is viewed as a center going forward. I think Hitch is toying with that idea. I read a quote, can't recall if it was Armstrong or Hitchcock. But was implying Steen might center Tarasenko.

This and that Backes is likely a winger moving forward anyway.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think that's a possibility to happen and I hate it. I have never thought Steen looked even half as good at center.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't totally hate the idea of Steen centering Tarasenko. Steen is more along the lines of the type of player I'd like to center Vladdy than making a big splashy trade for Krejci. First, offensively, he is more of a sniper than playmaker. This is good because Vladdy being Vladdy can draw people to him creating openings for others. Steen sitting in the middle when Vladdy cuts in, may keep defenders honest from cheating toward Tarasenko in a way Krejci never could. Plus, he does have some playmaking ability to create for himself and Schwartz. Second, Steen is also really good defensively. Our defense runs through our centers. With Backes gone, Steen will be by far our best 2-way guy. So having him out there to play defense can counter-act Tarasenko's weakness/laziness on D. Third, it concentrates our most talented offensive players on 2 scoring lines and can leave us with a 3rd defensive line rather than having Steen as 3rd line LW defaulting to a defensive role.

Schwartz - Steen - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Stastny - Lehtera
Berglund - Sobotka - Jaskin
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves
Rattie

Anybody we get through free agency or a Shattenkirk trade can push Lehtera and Jaskin down a line on the RW side. That line up is good down the middle (questions aside of whether Steen is a center). The 3 top-9 Cs are all defensively responsible, and again center is very important defensively. Steen and Stastny are both 60 point capable while Sobotka is 40 point capable.

So while Steen hasn't looked great at center, the theory on paper could work giving him time to adjust. We have built in back-ups as well being able to move Lehtera or Fabbri from wing if Steen doesn't work out. So while not ideal, as I said, I don't totally hate it.

Last edited:

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I don't totally hate the idea of Steen centering Tarasenko. Steen is more along the lines of the type of player I'd like to center Vladdy than making a big splashy trade for Krejci. First, offensively, he is more of a sniper than playmaker. This is good because Vladdy being Vladdy can draw people to him creating openings for others. Steen sitting in the middle when Vladdy cuts in, may keep defenders honest from cheating toward Tarasenko in a way Krejci never could. Plus, he does have some playmaking ability to create for himself and Schwartz. Second, Steen is also really good defensively. Our defense runs through our centers. With Backes gone, Steen will be by far our best 2-way guy. So having him out there to play defense can counter-act Tarasenko's weakness/laziness on D. Third, it concentrates our most talented offensive players on 2 scoring lines and can leave us with a 3rd defensive line rather than having Steen as 3rd line LW defaulting to a defensive role.

Schwartz - Steen - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Stastny - Lehtera
Berglund - Sobotka - Jaskin
Upshall - Brodziak - Reaves
Rattie

Anybody we get through free agency or a Shattenkirk trade can push Lehtera and Jaskin down a line on the RW side. That line up is good down the middle (questions aside of whether Steen is a center). The 3 top-9 Cs are all defensively responsible, and again center is very important defensively. Steen and Stastny are both 60 point capable while Sobotka is 40 point capable.

So while Steen hasn't looked great at center, the theory on paper could work giving him time to adjust. We have built in back-ups as well being able to move Lehtera or Fabbri from wing if Steen doesn't work out. So while not ideal, as I said, I don't totally hate it.

Their to me lies the problem.
I definitely don't mind the center core, Sobotka has improved and is better then we think.
I really wouldn't want Jaskin to have a 3rd line role. I think an injury fill/4th line role is what needs to happen. We don't know how much he'll improve and right now he isn't ideal for a top 9 spot.
I think Lehtera has to go. Plain and simple. I think a team will bring him in, maybe New Jersey, Carolina, seeing as they are around the cap floor and need help on offense.

We should look at one RW through UFA. We seem to like Loui Eriksson and I'm not opposed to the idea. But he will drop down, his shot% raised 3% and will probably drop down. I've reccomended Darren Helm, I think he'd be a good third line RW.
For the 2nd line RW, this is where Shattenkirk kicks in. I'd love a Wayne Simmonds, but I don't view that as realistic. Tomas Tatar is quite good, maybe Chris Kreider we can look at. Not sure of all the options, but I think we could find someone.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Their to me lies the problem.
I definitely don't mind the center core, Sobotka has improved and is better then we think.
I really wouldn't want Jaskin to have a 3rd line role. I think an injury fill/4th line role is what needs to happen. We don't know how much he'll improve and right now he isn't ideal for a top 9 spot.
I think Lehtera has to go. Plain and simple. I think a team will bring him in, maybe New Jersey, Carolina, seeing as they are around the cap floor and need help on offense.

We should look at one RW through UFA. We seem to like Loui Eriksson and I'm not opposed to the idea. But he will drop down, his shot% raised 3% and will probably drop down. I've reccomended Darren Helm, I think he'd be a good third line RW.
For the 2nd line RW, this is where Shattenkirk kicks in. I'd love a Wayne Simmonds, but I don't view that as realistic. Tomas Tatar is quite good, maybe Chris Kreider we can look at. Not sure of all the options, but I think we could find someone.

I am not a Lehtera fan either, but we'd really need to keep him or get someone else who can play center if we are penciling Steen in as 1C. He hasn't played it for any length of time, so we'd want a back-up plan if the experiment failed. Lehtera, while not a great 1c has played it for us before. I'd still love to get a young center (Couturier/Bjugstad) for that third line, move Sobotka to RW and ship Lehtera out. But those guys, as has been explored before, are unlikely.

Yes, we'd need to improve our RW, which I said. We should have the cap to do so with that lineup. That could be Nyqvist/Tatar from Detroit or a FA like Eriksson. I just left it open for now as there are a ton of options. Jaskin is fine as a 3rd wing assuming he improves how he should, but Lehtera is weak as a 2RW since his shot is so bad.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Not a fan of Steen at center at all. If he is being moved to center over Fabbri, we might as well trade him for a center. Steen's contributions to the team drop drastically when he moves to center. He is less active on the boards, he is not able to get his shot off as much and let's be honest...he can't setup goals very well.

Even if you think he fits with Tarasenko, (and I have to disagree) there will be times during the season and potentially playoffs where they get split up. Do you want Steen centering other players?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't like Steen at center either. I am surprised that there is talk of it as I would have thought this season showed that it doesn't work well. Even if they are going to try it again, we will still need someone to center for the start of the season anyway. Last I saw, Steen is out for four months at a minimum before he will be reevaluated. That doesn't sound to me like he will be ready for the start of the season. I think Backes is here unless he pushes for anything over 4 years at 6 mil. I definitely want to see Brouwer gone, though.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not a fan of Steen at center at all. If he is being moved to center over Fabbri, we might as well trade him for a center. Steen's contributions to the team drop drastically when he moves to center. He is less active on the boards, he is not able to get his shot off as much and let's be honest...he can't setup goals very well.

Even if you think he fits with Tarasenko, (and I have to disagree) there will be times during the season and potentially playoffs where they get split up. Do you want Steen centering other players?

Those are all good points. I didn't say I loved the idea, just that I didn't totally hate it. He hasn't looked good when centering Tarasenko before, for the reasons you mentioned. But I don't recall many times we have tried it. Maybe a few shifts here and there over less than 2 dozen games total. Given time to get acclimated, I would hope he would improve. The Steen centering others is also a good point, but at that time, we could shift Fabbri or Lehtera to center. I definitely want Fabbri to get some experience at center, I just don't want to give him 1C responsibility until we know how comfy he is there. It is also why I said we'd probably need to keep Lehtera or get another center. We'd need someone playing wing who could play center if Steen never adjusted.

As for trading him, what center would he get? We wouldn't get a better player given his age/contract. He is 32, coming off of surgery and possibly missing games, with only one year left at a fairly high cap hit that teams may not be able to fit. We'd probably have to lose out on net talent if we traded him due to those issues. I don't see NYI, who desperately need a winger, even giving us Strome straight up for 1 year of Steen. So while I am not opposed to trading him, I can't see a deal where we are a better team for the return.

Basically, if we cannot get a center in trade for Shattenkirk or in FA (which Stamkos is too much and Neilsen isn't good enough to make a real impact), Steen is, imo is our best internal option. Stastny clicks with Fabbri so I don't want to break them up, nor do I feel Tarasenko fits as the RW on that line. Lehtera isn't good enough. Steen is better than Sobotka, Berglund or Lehtera. Its not ideal but best of the worst so to speak.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Those are all good points. I didn't say I loved the idea, just that I didn't totally hate it. He hasn't looked good when centering Tarasenko before, for the reasons you mentioned. But I don't recall many times we have tried it. Maybe a few shifts here and there over less than 2 dozen games total. Given time to get acclimated, I would hope he would improve. The Steen centering others is also a good point, but at that time, we could shift Fabbri or Lehtera to center. I definitely want Fabbri to get some experience at center, I just don't want to give him 1C responsibility until we know how comfy he is there. It is also why I said we'd probably need to keep Lehtera or get another center. We'd need someone playing wing who could play center if Steen never adjusted.

As for trading him, what center would he get? We wouldn't get a better player given his age/contract. He is 32, coming off of surgery and possibly missing games, with only one year left at a fairly high cap hit that teams may not be able to fit. We'd probably have to lose out on net talent if we traded him due to those issues. I don't see NYI, who desperately need a winger, even giving us Strome straight up for 1 year of Steen. So while I am not opposed to trading him, I can't see a deal where we are a better team for the return.

Basically, if we cannot get a center in trade for Shattenkirk or in FA (which Stamkos is too much and Neilsen isn't good enough to make a real impact), Steen is, imo is our best internal option. Stastny clicks with Fabbri so I don't want to break them up, nor do I feel Tarasenko fits as the RW on that line. Lehtera isn't good enough. Steen is better than Sobotka, Berglund or Lehtera. Its not ideal but best of the worst so to speak.

As soon as next offseason, you need to look at offloading Steen for prospects, young players and/or picks. Steen is a great two-way player but our older guys are starting to wear down and we cannot loose Oshie/Brouwer, Backes and Steen for nothing. Our farm is depleted and we are running the risk of loosing to much depth to be competitive.

This past season was our apex. Next years team will not be better on paper and with each following season as our older and younger guys look for raises, we will bleed depth and skill if we do not retool. Honestly we are probably a season or two too late, but we need to try.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
As soon as next offseason, you need to look at offloading Steen for prospects, young players and/or picks. Steen is a great two-way player but our older guys are starting to wear down and we cannot loose Oshie/Brouwer, Backes and Steen for nothing. Our farm is depleted and we are running the risk of loosing to much depth to be competitive.

This past season was our apex. Next years team will not be better on paper and with each following season as our older and younger guys look for raises, we will bleed depth and skill if we do not retool. Honestly we are probably a season or two too late, but we need to try.

He will be a pending UFA. So unless we deal him at the deadline, he has no value.

I'd honestly use Shattenkirk to try and restock the farm and get a decently young roster player. It's why I think Tatar+16+Svech for Shattenkirk (should we be able to pull it off) is probably our best option.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

100% agree with this. But its not going to happen. We did not bring Hitch for one more year only to then do a retool. We are going to push for this year. And if we do, I'd rather we do it with Steen on an expiring contract than have Army blow the farm going after some big name trade target or signing away 1/6th of our future cap to Stamkos. I was right with you last year pushing for a retool. I am still with you in theory. But at this point, I just don't see it as something Armstrong would consider.

Next off-season will be too late to off-load Steen. Its now or never. His contract is up after this year. He also has a full NTC according to General Fanager. I think we can re-sign him after this season for a cheaper retirement contract if we don't trade him, so we won't lose him. I doubt we do a sign and trade though. So we have to get him to waive this year if we want to dump him for futures. I just don't see that happening, or see getting a good return if it does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad