Tribute Dave Tippett Appreciation thread.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
And yet might as well have not even been there at all.

plan the parade.
Yeah, I'd much rather the team stayed at the bottom of the league and been golfing at Christmas.

Jesus H Christ. Can't even give a shred of credit for anything good over the last couple of years because it wasn't good enough.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
I feel for Tippett, this mess is more on Holland. You can only work with what your given and Holland didn't do Tippett any favors.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So in the telecast MacT called it out, and I'll call it too. Tippett improved this club immensely. He gave a lot of himself to the team here and taught them a lot of things and helped move a team from being a non playoff club with sub .500 seasons to a team that was easily making playoffs with .600 or greater seasons. Tippett was not all things, and had to go, but theres been incredible lack of acknowledgment here that Tippett did help this club that you all cheer for.

So maybe today, Like Emily Cave did, take some time to make a comment, that actually acknowledges what an outstanding person Dave Tippett was here and she specifically acknowledged how great Mr and Mrs Tippett were to her throughout her bereavement.

This thread has only 2pages of posts and the majority of posts in this thread have been negative comments.

For people that haven't seen it. (i don't know how to link Twitter and I don't have an account. maybe people that do can do that.

Emily Cave (@emilyljcave) / Twitter

I'll also shoutout here to Emily what a wonderful person she is continuing to be taking the time and effort to repay kindness and generosity and that her comments again made me cry this week. I'm not on twitter but if people could give her a special wave from here that would be nice.

In our busy lives we forget that when chapters of our lives end, sometimes tragically, that its the kind words and gestures of others that can make the difference.

So thank you to the Tippetts for making this space your home for awhile and in helping the fortunes of this club as well as Neighbors and Edmontonians. You will undoubtedly be a gift to wherever you choose to go.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I;ll just put in my 2 bits. I really liked Tip as well, and really wish him well in the next stage of his life, whatever that is, and hope he enjoys. Seems like a real stable, solid dude. I think he did as well as could be expected, and for me, he took the team as far as he could go, and then the reins needed to be turned over to a new voice. Just the way it works, unfortunately, but it needed to be done. If anyone needs to look in the mirror, though, it's the guy who hired him and let him down in a bunch of areas.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Throw another coach on the Oil funeral pyre. When Chiarelli was finally canned I thought this team would be 2-3 years from a playoff level team. I wanted a young, innovator coach (Lane Lambert from the Trotz coaching tree) and absolutely abhorred the Tippett hiring. Then I watched this team transform quickly from a 25th place lottery loser that spotted a historic bad PK and -42 goal share into a playoff team with top specialty teams and goal share of +8. I watched and listened as this team started taking on an identity, became more resilient in its play and belief, and saw a leadership core emerging with what I believe was a prime asset of a deeply experienced veteran NHL coach.

Lots of measurable successes and improvement quickly coming out of Chiarelli's scorched earth remains. This franchise has seen other coaching casualties McLellan and Eakins reset with better run organizations and emerging young talent. Tippett joins a decent list of coaches who could not overcome the bungling above them. Not the best coach in the NHL nor the worst but still within my belief that coaching is only 20% of the puzzle for NHL success or failure. Players overwhelmingly set the course for a team's success or failure via their on-ice performance. This year, no goaltending, no chance as we've all watched a gravity defying start to this year unravel in thanks to a lot of work not done by the $5 million per year manager.

From deep skeptic to embracing a lot of up arrows quickly and what seemed to be steady ascension, I will give Tippett props for cultivating a reasonably sturdy foundation with this team and organization. Not as bad as many perceive nor an elite coach but 1159 NHL games coaching is 1159 NHL games coaching more than I have.

More good work than bad. Best of luck in retirement Tipp.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The game has been changing into a more offensive league again the old school coaches have had a hard time adjusting wish Tippett well but he was too much of a blender coach and was too stubborn to realize you can't run with no offense in your bottom 6 and succeed

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The game has been changing into a more offensive league again the old school coaches have had a hard time adjusting wish Tippett well but he was too much of a blender coach and was too stubborn to realize you can't run with no offense in your bottom 6 and succeed

Where's the latent offence production opportunity within this team's bottom six?
This team has had a hard enough time trying to squeeze top six production from guys like Yamamoto and Foegele. Hell Puljujarvi through a tough patch.

Scoring goals hasn't really been a problem the past three years with finishing 14th (this year); 7th; 12th from 20th in Chiarelli's last year. Goal prevention was steadily getting better too. All fell apart after one of the best starts in this franchise's history. No goaltending, poor d-zone play has had a cratering effect. Tippett owns that, as do players, and most certainly the GM putting the roster together.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Dave Tippett is a fine human being, a natural leader and pioneer of the game. He only had the best of intentions for the franchise and the city, and always praised the fanbase regardless of the noise.
But it is indeed time for him to buy a yacht, and retire into the sunset, as the game has sadly passed him by. Still a chance imo that he may take over the Kraken bench, but he did say he's 60 and going year by year. The stress of playing in this market has probably taken some years off his lifespan, it's time to regain that mental health and enjoy retirement in his Arizona property

Cheers Tipp

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Did all right things to late.

Overplaying Turris (he msut been hurt all season right?)
Overplaying McDrai to exhaustion.
Underplaying MacLeod.
Disnt play Perlini while hot, playes Perlini when he was cold. Then keeping him in..?

Otherwise seems like a wise man

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Judging by the other past coaches and his previous success I don’t put the majority of the blame on tippet. I think a good amount could be put on Holland, I don’t think the team he provided is ideal for tippet to work with. On the other side, if I were the new coach coming in the first thing I would do is present a graph, shift length vs shifts per game. At 30 seconds you get about 40. At 2minutes you get 1.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So I agree Tippett helped this team develope a bit but let's not forget McLellan accomplished far more and set up Tippetts success. Hopefully Woodcroft can take the team from a playoff bubble team that gets swept to 2016 or better levels of society true playoff contender.

As much as i dislike Holland the narrative that the roster is "bad" has to go. Holland has made some brutal mistakes and while I think a blind person could assess hockey players better and do better as the GM the roster isn't as bad as made out.

You look at what the NYI have accomplished with a weak roster but a great coach and everyone needs to take a step back and realize how important coaching is.

Reactions: Rengorlex

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
So I agree Tippett helped this team develope a bit but let's not forget McLellan accomplished far more and set up Tippetts success. Hopefully Woodcroft can take the team from a playoff bubble team that gets swept to 2016 or better levels of society true playoff contender.

As much as i dislike Holland the narrative that the roster is "bad" has to go. Holland has made some brutal mistakes and while I think a blind person could assess hockey players better and do better as the GM the roster isn't as bad as made out.

You look at what the NYI have accomplished with a weak roster but a great coach and everyone needs to take a step back and realize how important coaching is.
It should be astonishingly easy to have a contender built around McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Best depth in the league in the most important position.

Holland is lucky Woodcroft saved his ass. But I believe to truly win the Cup, we'll need smart management on top of smart coaching, even with the ridiculous advantage our centers give us.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It should be astonishingly easy to have a contender built around McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Best depth in the league in the most important position.

Holland is lucky Woodcroft saved his ass. But I believe to truly win the Cup, we'll need smart management on top of smart coaching, even with the ridiculous advantage our centers give us.

Don't nessasaraly think it's "easy" but agree with the sentiment. We should have a large advantage with not only THE best player in the world but THE second best as well.

I agree 100% about winning a cup. It takes extremely creative and elite GMing to win a cup in this age. You pretty much have to cheat to have a clear leg up on the competition to win a cup.

You ain't trying if you ain't cheating as a GM in the NHL.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I do want to say thank you Tippett for what he did bring here. I believe the team has gotten better under his watch but unfortunately couldn't seem to get over that PO hump, and inability to adapt to the teams that have adapted to his systems.
My first GDT turned out to be Tippett's last game as Head coach. Sorry eh.
So, at least I can do is show appreciation to what he did bring while he was here. He was probably one of the most successful coaches we had in that last 10 years. I hope he enjoys his retirement, and no matter the circumstances, he should be proud in what he has accomplished here and in his career and if their is even a remote chance the Oilers win it all this season. I wouldn't be against having his name and Playfair's on the cup. Always an Oiler, right.
Thank you for your service Tippett!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad