Tribute Dave Tippett Appreciation thread.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He served his time and was good for this team to start. Shelf life expired and its time to move on.

Unsuccessful coaches have shelf life. Tippett was unable to get a single playoff series win and while improving some things was a tire fire in others.

Very very obviously imo the Oilers need someone significantly better to lead them to playoffs success

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Seemed like a decent guy all things considered. But hockey is a meritocracy.

He'll be back in the NHL in some capacity. I'm glad we moved on.

Reactions: Patch101

Swanson

Jan 28, 2022
Thanks but tone to move on. I never seen him adapt during the game. Pretty much relied on the brilliance of McDrai to win us games.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm sorry. Seems like a good guy, but my God I'm glad he and Playfair are not coaching my favorite team.

Old guys in general can be stubborn and slow to change, but they took it to another level.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I thought the combo of Tippet and Holland was the trick. (Wrong!)

Tippett did get us to the playoffs twice and I still say we were goaltendered vs Winnipeg.

That said his over reliance on 3 players (Nurse 97/29) and loyalty to Smith along with the country club atmosphere and lack of accountability on underperforming players was too much. Too bad though.

Thanks Dave, enjoy the good life down in Phoenix.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
No appreciation for a stubborn fool who was out of his depth and shouldn't have been afforded the opportunity to retain his job.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Suspect this team will do much better under woodcroft. Nice of him to set such a low bar for Jay.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
Man do sports fans get bitter, keep in touch with your human side eh?

I appreciate Tipps for getting us to the dance the last two years even if it didn't go well. It's more than any coaches in the past 15 years can say. His time was up in the room but he had some solid years here. Seems like a genuinely good person too, appreciated the interviews (other then throwing Koskinen under the bus, but let's be honest, people here do that stuff x100).

All the best to him on whatever he does in the future.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

I appreciate Tipps for getting us to the dance the last two years even if it didn't go well. It's more than any coaches in the past 15 years can say. His time was up in the room but he had some solid years here. Seems like a genuinely good person too, appreciated the interviews (other then throwing Koskinen under the bus, but let's be honest, people here do that stuff x100).

I mean McLellan got us to the playoffs AND won a round so...probably a wash for me between him and Tippett

Reactions: Arctic Fox

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
I mean McLellan got us to the playoffs AND won a round so...probably a wash for me between him and Tippett
I'd argue that if it wasn't for the play in series with Hawks, whom I thought were a worse matchup than whoever we would've been up against, we could've seen an additional round under tippet too, but alas

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
From what I saw, Pre-Covid Tippett and Covid Tippett were two different coaches.

I think a great many nights he just wanted to go home.

Hopefully the detail-orientated, passionate younger coaches will turn the team around. They appear to be hungry.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. Just wish Dave well in retirement. He came here, helped get the team into the playoffs twice and the team was remarkably better than it was in the two seasons preceding Tippett.

Again a lot of you are quick to remind people that its "An Appreciation thread" in other threads but are trolling this one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Some things are quantifiable. McLellan had a Bettman era mediocre win percentage of .538 as an Oilers coach and made playoffs once and missed twice. The team also missed the playoffs for the third time the season McLellan was fired.

Tippett has been here 2.5 seasons, almost exactly, and the team made the playoffs handily both years with a much higher win percentage. The team could too resurrect this season which is quite salvageable. Of note McLellan was fired from here in his 3rd season in a row with a losing %. Tippett has NEVER had a losing percentage any season here.

I think a lot of difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patch101 and TB12

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The crazy thing is he probably wouldn’t have been fired if we would have gotten to our current record a more normal way. Has a coach ever been fired mid season before having never once put up a sub 500 season with a team?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Unfortunately his system didn’t seem to really mesh here with this core. We did have a pretty good record vs the Flames with him as coach. For that I say thanks. Bye Dave!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This guy might have been one of the worst coaches we have seen here. And we had rookie Dallas Eakins as coach!

Tippet had better rosters than any coach previously during the decade of darkness and only 'succeeded' if McDrai carried his fraud ass.

This poster thinks this is an "appreciation" post. sigh.

kick+out.jpg

Reactions: oilers'72
Feb 9, 2013
Coaching is a job he made millions of dollars doing. The team under him didn't live up to expectations, he lost his job. That's it, that's all.

I don't feel any more sorry for him than I do any other person losing a job - less actually, he should be set financially for the rest of his life - and several lifetimes after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad