Dave Tippett and Coyotes agree on 5 year extension.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ha. Ok. Well, that explains a lot.

Are you referring to things like Jamison personally guaranteeing a deal to Shane Doan? Or Tippett and Maloney stating multiple times over the past 4 years that they have no ****ing clue what's going to happen, and pretty much live on hope and a prayer?

Have you ever worked in a business that was on the verge of a change of ownership? Were there any employees below the C-Suite who knew anything about what was going on?

:rolleyes:
To be fair all he said was they likely know more than we do and that's almost certainly a true statement. Granted, knowing more than us doesn't mean a whole lot since we basically don't know ****. haha

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Granted, knowing more than us doesn't mean a whole lot since we basically don't know ****. haha

Indeed.

Anyway, this argument started because the OP thought that Tippett's decision could be seen as a hint at a possible ownership resolution. In that regard, I stand by what I said: there is no reason to believe Tippett knows some secret about current negotiations. Not only has he said himself repeatedly that he doesn't know what's going to happen, but in any similar situation involving any business, staff members are not involved and don't know a whole lot more than any reporter would.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Indeed.

Anyway, this argument started because the OP thought that Tippett's decision could be seen as a hint at a possible ownership resolution. In that regard, I stand by what I said: there is no reason to believe Tippett knows some secret about current negotiations. Not only has he said himself repeatedly that he doesn't know what's going to happen, but in any similar situation involving any business, staff members are not involved and don't know a whole lot more than any reporter would.

I disagree. There is every reason to believe that Tip knows what the NHL is thinking for options. Tip is not a rank and file employee, he is one of the top 2 executives with DM. Why would TIP and DM sign multi year deals if they did not know or have a good idea where the team will land this year and in the future. It is common practice for executives to sign Non-disclosure agreements. Once an NDA is signed, the NHL could have told him: We are staying with or without a new owner, or we are moving to Seattle. The NHL could have given him this information with a penalty clause in the contract should he disclose anything. The contract could give Tip an out clause under scenarios he is not comfortable with, but keep him and DM for a one year transition. The NHL, coach and GM are not bound by NHLPA rules in contracts, they can all basically do whatever they want to do. A player like Smith has NHLPA rules that make a fluid situation like this one impossible to address in a contract. Outside of a hand shake deal, there are no options. Doan likely has a hand shake deal that DM will trade him if the teams goes somewhere he does not want to play. Unless we see the contract, we don't know, I am just saying it is more likely then not in this case.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What are we arguing about here? Didn't Tippett come out and say that he is comfortable with wherever the franchise ends up? Is he not one of the highest paid coaches in the league right now?

It's not a positive or a negative. It's one less thing to worry about.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
What are we arguing about here? Didn't Tippett come out and say that he is comfortable with wherever the franchise ends up? Is he not one of the highest paid coaches in the league right now?

Someone had a good cup of coffee this morning!

short, simple, and to the point. I can dig it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree. There is every reason to believe that Tip knows what the NHL is thinking for options. Tip is not a rank and file employee, he is one of the top 2 executives with DM. Why would TIP and DM sign multi year deals if they did not know or have a good idea where the team will land this year and in the future. It is common practice for executives to sign Non-disclosure agreements. Once an NDA is signed, the NHL could have told him: We are staying with or without a new owner, or we are moving to Seattle. The NHL could have given him this information with a penalty clause in the contract should he disclose anything. The contract could give Tip an out clause under scenarios he is not comfortable with, but keep him and DM for a one year transition. The NHL, coach and GM are not bound by NHLPA rules in contracts, they can all basically do whatever they want to do. A player like Smith has NHLPA rules that make a fluid situation like this one impossible to address in a contract. Outside of a hand shake deal, there are no options. Doan likely has a hand shake deal that DM will trade him if the teams goes somewhere he does not want to play. Unless we see the contract, we don't know, I am just saying it is more likely then not in this case.
I agree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

XX, you finally stated a fact. But your right, it is once less thing to worry about.:handclap:But I think it is a positive sign that both GMDM and DT signed, but that is just me.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As long as the next PP coach effectively utilizes our big men more on screening and mixes up zone entries (i.e. not 100% drop passes), I'll be content.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Couple of names that are currently employed...

Doug Jarvis - Former teammate of Ulf, Don, Tip, Q, etc. - won cup with Hitch in Dallas - currently with Boston (won cup there too)

John Paddock - Former Jets HC - former Hartford Wolfpack HS - Ottawa asst during cup run- currently asst with Philly

...but might be a potential fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad