TSN Radio Dave Poulin .. the spin doctor

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You don't get the sense of a total team buy in and pack mentality with the Leafs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You're frustrated and upset and I can understand that but saying that I want no mess of what is happening in Edm. I will disagree with many that say they are better off than we are. I would take Kessel over Hall any day. I like the young guys we have, I love the goaler situation and think an off summer of finding Reimer a new home will make us that much stronger. There are a lot of pieces here.

Before you go off on Clarkson and Bolland. Both players were very successful in other systems and markets, do you think they forgot how to play hockey or maybe coaching staff is not putting them in the positions they need to be to be successful?

Hey. It sucks we lost 8 in a row, everything that could have gone wrong has and now it looks like the season is lost.

I like Nonis, I like he is not in the media all the time and the face of the franchise, I like the moves he has made and no one is perfect. If Bolland was not hurt all year and Clarkson started off better than a ten game suspension we wouldn't be sitting here bashing them.

Who cares what people said, we all believed that this team would fight for the final three spots and they surprised us with a great stretch from January to March and we sat in third. I think we are a better team but sometimes people need to bark for the reason of barking.

Things suck right now but to say that this team is not better than last years team is BS. We are getting there and guys will know that every game is a big game next year. I just hope RC is gone because I think a new coaching style is what this team needs.

Hall is 4 years younger and posting stats that are right there with Kessel. Those 4 years makes for a nice timeline buffer as we continue to build it right. Add in that Hall is inked till 2020 with tidy 6m cap hit and it's a no brainer Hall>>Kessel.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Didn't want Grabo, CMac was no good, Franson is a god, Clarkson was the kind of player Randy wanted. Oh yeah, get him what he wants and when it fails that's not what he wanted.

I can't stop laughing. Oh yeah, unable to make men cover the points and play man to man. The team plays so soft as well compared to last year.

Carlyle is a failure here.

is your position that Grabo and CMac were hard nosed puck possession players?

What about the rest of the forward group?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I can't believe anyone is defending Carlyle here? Not having the players to play his system is not an excuse for this level of a coach, it literally means he sucks. He couldn't adapt a system that our current players could execute with success, the warning signs were there all season. It would be a huge organizational failure if this guy is kept another year, might even cost Nonis his job in the same ay Wilson probably cost Burke his.

most coaches have a style of play he expects his players to play. Carlyle had said in multiple interviews that he wants the team to play puck possession hockey. almost none of the forwards play that style. If management didn't support that style of play they should have brought in a new coach. But they didn't. Therefore they must support that style of play. so to me its on management to provide the players to suit the style of play they want.

Randy isn't blameless, but I feel the disconnect between style of play and the players is the biggest problem

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
most coaches have a style of play he expects his players to play. Carlyle had said in multiple interviews that he wants the team to play puck possession hockey. almost none of the forwards play that style. If management didn't support that style of play they should have brought in a new coach. But they didn't. Therefore they must support that style of play. so to me its on management to provide the players to suit the style of play they want.

Randy isn't blameless, but I feel the disconnect between style of play and the players is the biggest problem

Or management was willing to let Randy try that style with these players. I see four choices:
  • they can bring in personnel more suited to that style
  • they can change the coach
  • they can ask Randy to try a different style
  • they can let Randy try it again

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Very easy to encourage others to make a sacrifice.

I continue to find it astounding that the "owners don't care about winning" argument is still brought up daily.

Really? Given the quality of other posts on these boards, what do you think the odds are of a poster actually knowing what they are talking about?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
is your position that Grabo and CMac were hard nosed puck possession players?

What about the rest of the forward group?

Well they weren't terrible. Point being you play them again the next season in position to succeed then trade them for something not lose them and pay one to play elsewhere. It's stupid.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Very easy to encourage others to make a sacrifice.

I continue to find it astounding that the "owners don't care about winning" argument is still brought up daily.

I don't.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I understand that. But why are they then so afraid of a rebuild? Why try and squeeze in to the playoffs when a step back and patience is needed to get it right. Even if half the team would be under 23 and prone to long losing streaks, if the talent and the hard work is there I can't see how they can not sell that product. I mean, ppl are lining up to see this half ass job of a team.

the problem is the talent might not be there if they tank.

You can't guarantee you finish last for 5 straight years and you can't guarantee studs will be available in those five years. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares would have been much better than Hall, RNH, and Yaks. And that's by accomplishing the rare feat of finishing last three straight years. More likely you finish somewhere in the bottom ten and could get Sam Gagner, Luke and Brayden Schenn, and Nino Niederietter. Then you are stuck with no elite talent. What's the gamelan then? With that as your core the playoffs aren't even in reach.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Or management was willing to let Randy try that style with these players. I see four choices:
  • they can bring in personnel more suited to that style
  • they can change the coach
  • they can ask Randy to try a different style
  • they can let Randy try it again

yes, I agree with that.

But you would think a smart organization would set a style of play and bring in coaches AND players that fit the style.

What I see is Tim extended Nonis, so to me he must support Dave's path to get this team to the promise land. If Nonis is a good manager his coach will play the style he supports. If they are at odds then it's a recipe for disaster and a sign of bad management.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
yes, I agree with that.

But you would think a smart organization would set a style of play and bring in coaches AND players that fit the style.

What I see is Tim extended Nonis, so to me he must support Dave's path to get this team to the promise land. If Nonis is a good manager his coach will play the style he supports. If they are at odds then it's a recipe for disaster and a sign of bad management.

Correct

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Hall is 4 years younger and posting stats that are right there with Kessel. Those 4 years makes for a nice timeline buffer as we continue to build it right. Add in that Hall is inked till 2020 with tidy 6m cap hit and it's a no brainer Hall>>Kessel.

I personally like Kessel over Hall any day of the week. Better durability, more explosive and better all around game. I don't want to get caught up all the time in numbers and what a guy makes. Kessel is one hell of a sniper.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
IMO in this day and age of pro sports, the only way to motivate is to create accountability within the pier group

you need a clear system, defined roles and everyone knows what they do and whatever one else is doing as part of it

when someone makes a mistake or isn't doing their part the team knows and holds them accountable

telling millionaires to move their legs, hit someone, be first to the puck, etc is just lip service and when you have a leadership group of Carlyle, Phanuef and Kessel its no wonder this team never plays with urgency

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
IMO in this day and age of pro sports, the only way to motivate is to create accountability within the pier group

you need a clear system, defined roles and everyone knows what they do and whatever one else is doing as part of it

when someone makes a mistake or isn't doing their part the team knows and holds them accountable

telling millionaires to move their legs, hit someone, be first to the puck, etc is just lip service and when you have a leadership group of Carlyle, Phanuef and Kessel its no wonder this team never plays with urgency

Very well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad