TSN Radio Dave Poulin .. the spin doctor

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
On leafs lunch right now putting a spin on everything, and deflecting all blame. Very annoying. Just own up buddy, we suck! Brian is asking tough questions though, love it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
On leafs lunch right now putting a spin on everything, and deflecting all blame. Very annoying. Just own up buddy, we suck! Brian is asking tough questions though, love it.

Can you provide specifics or should we take your word for it?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Credit to @Hope_Smoke. Start from the bottom if you want it in alphabetical order.

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "we will have to evaluate the core that has gone through the difficult times in the summer. We may have to do that"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "I don't think these 8 games are comprable to the 3rd period against Boston. We'be made personnel moves since then"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "this is 8 games in 13 days. It's remarkable. We've been here for 4 years and a lot of good things have happened in that time"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "there isn't one person here who isn't taking responsibilty. This is on all of us." That's in response to whether this is on Carlyle

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "our shot differential over the last 8 games is better. So the analytics talk doesn't make a lot of sense"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "we were playing really well heading into the Olympic break"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "teams come in knowing we give up a lot of shots so they take a lot of shots"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "I don't think this team is gong to withdraw to our net and play. That's not our team. We're a quick strike team"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "we haven't had a lot of things go our way but we have to play through that"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "our problems have been consistency and systematic errors. Its individuals trying to make a play and it has really burned us"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "desperation can be seen in many ways. That desperation doesn't always lead to good things. Doesn't mean guys play harder or better"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Dave Poulin on TSN Radio "it's obvipsuly been a very challenging time here, but we have to win a hockey game and get some momentum"

I don't think he's spinning anything to be honest. Taking the blame, as if the rest of the coaching and management staff. He says that they will definitely need to re-evaluate the core of the team this summer.

Also, anyone would defend their product a little bit. It's just being a human being at that point.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
Brian asked if he thinks 3 melt downs in 3 years are related and have something to do with the core, Dave said a meltdown last year in the playoffs in a third period has nothing to do with this. That's one example. Listen to the podcast later on at tsn.ca

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think he was honest - and let's be honest here - he still has to sell some semblence of hope. but at the same time, I guess - right now we're so pissed off and want answers NOW! and i was expecting some of that too, and that didn't happen.

again - i wouldn't shed tears if he and everyone left - but i do like him coming on every monday (and Claude on Fridays) just to get some perspective.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Poulin "our shot differential over the last 8 games is better. So the analytics talk doesn't make a lot of sense"

ummmm, uhh.... er. ok..

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
What personnel moves? Grabovski was the only one that played a role in that 3rd period collapse that isn't here anymore.

Same top four defense, same starting goalie for most of this skid.

driver3000

Dec 17, 2011
Niagara
BS like he spewed is the type of thing that makes me wish for the entire management team to be wiped out. The whole front office is completely clueless if they believe what he's saying.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't understand why fans are expecting the team and management to throw players under the bus.

You'll hear the same from everyone in the organization. That they haven't been good enough, that's their responsibility, but they believe in the group.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Someone REALLY needs to explain score effects to this organization.

That crap about shot differential over the past 8 games is pathetic.

Could explain it to my 11 year nephew who plays goaltender.

HE would understand that the score infleunces the pattern of the game.

The Toronto Maple Leafs don't.

EDIT - There needs to be a blanket "DONT TALK TO THE MEDIA" mission over this organization. There's not a damn thing they can say that is right. Just digging their own graves.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What personnel moves? Grabovski was the only one that played a role in that 3rd period collapse that isn't here anymore.

Same top four defense, same starting goalie for most of this skid.

We have Gleason, Bozak (he was injured), Bernier, Clarkson, Bolland and Rielly playing significant minutes compared to last years 3rd period meltdown against the Bruins.

I would say it's fairly different.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
He's correct.

Nope, he's not.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle ·2m
Leafs have been outshot 349-296 the last 10 games. It's 168-122 in score close situations, lower than the season average.

but more importantly...

mc79hockey ‏@mc79hockey ·25 mins
The Leafs Corsi% with the score close in the last eight games is like 42%, by the way.

So when the score was close, we were STILL getting our ***** handed to us at about a 60:40 clip possesionally.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
What a ****ing idiot.

Where? How? Why did this utterly insane idiotic mindset infect Toronto's front staff and coaching?

How does it happen?

THE PURGE needs to happen.

Kyle Doobas*

What a ****ing idiot.

Where? How? Why did this utterly insane idiotic mindset infect Toronto's front staff and coaching?

How does it happen?

THE PURGE needs to happen.
Seriously. A bunch of ****ing teenagers/young adults on a hockey forum seem to have more of a clue. Good lord this is depressing. :(

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Holy crap, the list of excuses for the Leafs godawful style of play is nauseating.

We give up a lot of shots, but that's because teams know we give up a lot of shots, so they shoot more? Talk about circular reasoning! What a moron!

The bad defensive play is just due to individual mistakes? EVERY goal that's scored against any team can be blamed on individual mistake(s). Funny how when you're pinned in your own end all game it's more likely that those mistakes end up in the back of your net.

The braintrust of this team is just not very smart.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
:laugh: I had to look to see what it was. No - i still believe in them. i'm just heartbroken about what happened.

:laugh:

I detached my heart from this team after the Tampa game for the sake of my health .. I've been a lot happier since under the impression they were going to miss the playoffs until their play could show me otherwise

Should be an interesting offseason ... Shake up impending - now I'll be pissed if nothing happens to change the core, coaching or leadership of this team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad