TSN: Dave Poulin on the state of the Oilers

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
We've both produced this data multiple times in these threads, its been widely ignored, claims of cherry picking, Nuge is different, he's an endurance trained athlete. yada yada.

The same posters selectively refuting this time and again will make counter claims that they have explained something several times and we're just not heeding their version of truth.. Just saying that in general its interesting what gets considered as valid vs invalid claim. The notion for instance that McD has a negative impact on RNH production is accepted by the same posters who would look at these graphs and apparently reject it out of hand while stating they're the ones providing the numbers...

Oh god, tell me about it.

The collection of "worst contracts in the league" can be read as a list of "which idiot GM bought a whole bunch of 30+ years"

Nine of the Ugliest Contracts in the NHL and More NHL Rumors!
Ranking the 10 Worst Contracts in the NHL Right Now

It really doesn't matter if RNH isn't going to be a good player on the wrong side of 30. If we haven't won a Cup by then, we quite frankly never will.

My guess is that it leaves us 1-2 years dude. Then RNH's $6m+ contract will be the REASON we don't win a cup.

IMHO Our window for the cup, are the McDrai contracts. Not a RNH contract.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Who's Dave Poulin?
I don’t know if he still holds the record or not but at one time he had played in the most Stanley Cup playoff games without ever winning the Cup. I remember this being brought up when the Oilers were playing the Flyers, then Bruins in the finals back in the day. Kind of the opposite of knowing a thing or two about winning.;)

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t know if he still holds the record or not but at one time he had played in the most Stanley Cup playoff games without ever winning the Cup. I remember this being brought up when the Oilers were playing the Flyers, then Bruins in the finals back in the day. Kind of the opposite of knowing a thing or two about winning.;)

Certainly explains his contempt for Edmonton. Lol.

That's a hard record to hold.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Its hilarious how you make these things seem like positive attributes when the argument suits, but you would rail against the notion of Nuge being a soft easy to play against player in any different context.

Of course when Nuges finds ways to avoid taking a hit, for instance prematurely playing the puck, just ditching it, bailing on it, or taking a harmless shot at net, its what most of have been saying all along.

Yeah, um, lol, I concur..haha
I didn't make it seem like a positive attribute. It's being used to show the OP that there's very little evidence of physical regression.

The only thing tying together a cherry-picked group of players is their age of regression. I find it funny you call that 'data'.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't make it seem like a positive attribute. It's being used to show the OP that there's very little evidence of physical regression.

The only thing trying together a cherry-picked group of players is their age of regression. I find it funny you call that 'data'.

I'm not sure how grapshs showing a mean regression of players post peak, that is a comprehensive measure of NHL players, is Cherry Picking.

Not sure why you don't consider it data.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure how grapshs showing a mean regression of players post peak, that is a comprehensive measure of NHL players, is Cherry Picking.

Not sure why you don't consider it data.
So it's a mean regression of all players? Wouldn't that data be heavily skewed? A lot of players (probably a vast majority) don't make it past their 26th birthday before they head overseas. A lot more than the number of skaters that play into their 30s.

This may be tough to swallow, but RNH is a high-end NHL forward. Assuming he's going to fall apart in two years based on this rickety logic is really silly. Regression happens for a reason. It doesn't suddenly occur due to age.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh god, tell me about it.

The collection of "worst contracts in the league" can be read as a list of "which idiot GM bought a whole bunch of 30+ years"

Nine of the Ugliest Contracts in the NHL and More NHL Rumors!
Ranking the 10 Worst Contracts in the NHL Right Now

My guess is that it leaves us 1-2 years dude. Then RNH's $6m+ contract will be the REASON we don't win a cup.

IMHO Our window for the cup, are the McDrai contracts. Not a RNH contract.
So looking at those numbers than $5millx4 would be fine for Nuge. Not huge money. Based on his physicality he should stay at a good level till 30 and start his decline.

I would say as a generality. UFA defenders are a decent bet but forwards are not. Defenders seem to be able to play and succeed later in their career where forwards skew much younger.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So it's a mean regression of all players? Wouldn't that data be heavily skewed? A lot of players (probably a vast majority) don't make it past their 26th birthday before they head overseas. A lot more than the number of skaters that play into their 30s.

This may be tough to swallow, but RNH is a high-end NHL forward. Assuming he's going to fall apart in two years based on this rickety logic is really silly. Regression happens for a reason. It doesn't suddenly occur due to age.
I mean it's a fair bet. Nuge for 6/7 years would be a terrible idea. 4 years, probably fine

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I believe they accounted for borderline guys just flaming out. Been awhile since I read it though.

Here's the article the graphs are from: A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We've both produced this data multiple times in these threads, its been widely ignored, claims of cherry picking, Nuge is different, he's an endurance trained athlete. yada yada.

The same posters selectively refuting this time and again will make counter claims that they have explained something several times and we're just not heeding their version of truth.. Just saying that in general its interesting what gets considered as valid vs invalid claim. The notion for instance that McD has a negative impact on RNH production is accepted by the same posters who would look at these graphs and apparently reject it out of hand while stating they're the ones providing the numbers...

Since you are clearly referencing me...You do realise that you are talking about data based on a stat that was essentially used by its creator to justify the claim that Nikushkin had a better year last year than Draisaitl. How does that play with you now??

Valeri Nichushkin likely having a better year than Leon Draisaitl, according to analytics enthusiasts. Hmm | Edmonton Journal

Last edited:
Reactions: AT14C

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I would be in favour of bringing Larsson back if the rumors of him signing in the neighborhood of 3.5m is true. Doubt you can replace him for anywhere near that, not to mention the guys clearly like him and he plays hard for this team.

Nuge is tough, been an Oiler for a long through the good and bad but doesn’t seem wise to give him the contract he’s reportedly looking for. I would hesitate to give him his 6m let alone a raise which it sounds like that’s what he wants. I think there’s enough wingers for trade or free agency that could replace Nuge if he’s 6m or above imo. Useful player but if it’s not working then he’s the obvious piece you move on from and try to change it up.

At the end of the day, we have two of the three best centres in the game and a top pairing defenceman. Should be easy to build a good team around them now that Holland has money to work with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Since you are clearly referencing me...You do realise that you are talking about data based on a stat that was essentially used by its creator to justify the claim that Nikushkin had a better year last year than Draisaitl. How does that play with you now??

Valeri Nichushkin likely having a better year than Leon Draisaitl, according to analytics enthusiasts. Hmm | Edmonton Journal

I wasn't referring to WAR specifically but I've linked the age regression in pts countless times. I've posted data on pts generation through age. Shots, scoring chances etc, here again.. Gabe Desjardins was putting out a lot of data as well on this (Behind the net) site a dozen years ago. Scientific papers on this dynamic for 20yrs. Its pretty accepted that player performane declines with age and forwards most succeptible and the dropoff obvious.

Pinning down a player's prime performance years - TSN.ca

scoring-and-shots.jpg

But I'm prepared to see 3 page response detailing how Nuge who likely doesn't even train as hard as contemporaries or team mates is somehow immune to age and pts regression that on average impacts NHL players.

Nuge didn't hold value in the last contract. At similar price its a given he won't in the next contract, given that he's looking several years term, which puts him way over what his ideal playing age is for a forward. Somebody will overpay for that contract, and I don't doubt it. Hopefully not the Oilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wasn't referring to WAR specifically but I've linked the age regression in pts countless times. I've posted data on pts generation through age. Shots, scoring chances etc, here again.. Gabe Desjardins was putting out a lot of data as well on this (Behind the net) site a dozen years ago. Scientific papers on this dynamic for 20yrs. Its pretty accepted that player performane declines with age and forwards most succeptible and the dropoff obvious.

Pinning down a player's prime performance years - TSN.ca

scoring-and-shots.jpg

But I'm prepared to see 3 page response detailing how Nuge who likely doesn't even train as hard as contemporaries or team mates is somehow immune to age and pts regression that on average impacts NHL players.

Nuge didn't hold value in the last contract. At similar price its a given he won't in the next contract, given that he's looking several years term, which puts him way over what his ideal playing age is for a forward. Somebody will overpay for that contract, and I don't doubt it. Hopefully not the Oilers.
I don't have a problem with this as a typical trend. But unless you are improving the team through trades for young guys every player you could possibly bring in as a UFA is in the same boat. You also have to recognize that not all players fit this pattern to the same dgree or on the same timeline. WRT to the stats above Nuge's ISCF/60 at 5 vs 5 was the second highest of his career behind only last year. (At all strengths it was the highest). His shot rate was down slightly from the last years but still very close to his peak. Moreover, his current rates are higher in both cases than the plotted maximums. So he could well be follwing a path with a similar trajectory but with teh peak at 27. In fact, this is probably not so unusual for a guy whose game is more cerebral and less built on physical attributes.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What teams need to look at is not aav but what they think a player will be worth.

Let's say Josh Archibald brings good value for his contract at 111k per point. Let's work that for Nuge

If Nuge is a 55-60 point guy, or they seem him as that, how long do they see him doing that? 1-2 years? Great. For that he is worth $6.6 mill

Y1: 6.5mill
Y2: 6mill

After that what will he do? According by that chart it seems like around 30 you start to fall off hardest. So say Nuge loses 20% of his offense and pp time a bit and falls down to a 40ish point guy

Y1: 6.5
Y2: 6
Y3: 4.5
Y4: 4

Now say 32-33 he loses another 20 percent and drops more

Y5: 3
Y6: 2.5

So if he wants a 6 year contract then $4.5 mill aav is more than fair based off reasonable regression. My estimate is that 2 fair deals should exist

$5.25-$5.75mill x 4 years

Or

$4.5-$5mill x 6 years

Anything more is probably too much and is better too heavily that his play will not drop off.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
You need to have a plan to replace Nuge... and its pretty hard to plan this period. I have no idea what to do... but I don't think he has a place on this team anymore.

That kid should have been on steroids the minute he was drafted. Not kidding.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What teams need to look at is not aav but what they think a player will be worth.

Let's say Josh Archibald brings good value for his contract at 111k per point. Let's work that for Nuge

If Nuge is a 55-60 point guy, or they seem him as that, how long do they see him doing that? 1-2 years? Great. For that he is worth $6.6 mill

Y1: 6.5mill
Y2: 6mill

After that what will he do? According by that chart it seems like around 30 you start to fall off hardest. So say Nuge loses 20% of his offense and pp time a bit and falls down to a 40ish point guy

Now say 32-33 he loses another 20 percent and drops more

Y5: 3
Y6: 2.5

So if he wants a 6 year contract then $4.5 mill aav is more than fair based off reasonable regression. My estimate is that 2 fair deals should exist

$5.25-$5.75mill x 4 years

Or

$4.5-$5mill x 6 years

Anything more is probably too much and is better too heavily that his play will not drop off.
Independent of how Nuge fits on this model, $$/pt is not a good way to value players. It is very skewed to players with cheap deals.

Cost Per Point - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Any metric that would have Connor McDavid as the 258th best deal amongst players outside of their ELC's has real flaws.

Reactions: TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Independent of how Nuge fits on this model, $$/pt is not a good way to value players. It is very skewed to players with cheap deals.

Cost Per Point - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Any metric that would have Connor McDavid as the 258th best deal amongst players outside of their ELC's has real flaws.
It is. Players sign cheap and can over achieve. That's why I picked a number kind of in the middle to evaluate. Some guys under and over achieve but I've always found for forwards, in around that $100k a point is considered fair. Of course there are other factors that will raise that. Stars like McDavid will often cost a bit more per point as the team also factors in the marketability etc. But for the average forward it's a fair number to evaluate unless they have special talents they bring to the table.

At the end of the day, points = money.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It is. Players sign cheap and can over achieve. That's why I picked a number kind of in the middle to evaluate. Some guys under and over achieve but I've always found for forwards, in around that $100k a point is considered fair. Of course there are other factors that will raise that. Stars like McDavid will often cost a bit more per point as the team also factors in the marketability etc. But for the average forward it's a fair number to evaluate unless they have special talents they bring to the table.

At the end of the day, points = money.

The problem is that the relationship between money and points is far from linear. This makes it very difficult to do anything of significnace with these stats.

Your model would see a guy who consistently puts up 50 points in at the $5M range. But if you look at this the model is out by about $1M and it goes up from there. So your model is basically designed to work players who typically put up 30-40 points.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Nuge at 5. Lars at 3.75. Kulikov at 2ish for a couple years, like what he brings. Buyout koskinen and put that 3m with some space toward Mrazek for a few years while we figure out if Skinner or Konov can play in the NHL. Probably bring Smith back unless we are comfortable with Stalock. Stalock has been serviceable with 20-25 games in the past and hes real cheap, but Smith is a locker room guy. Let Barrie walk, replaced by Bouchard. Start testing Broberg this season. Probably can bring back 4K for 1-1.5m. Its important not to turn the whole blueline over...need some chemistry. Throw 4-5m at Hoffman short term, he saw the McDavid effect with Barrie.

Thats about 24m in spending. Kosk buyout gives you 25. Get Seattle to take Neal. Use that on some bigger depth guys, or see what you've got in Klefbom cause we will need a little space if he comes back.

Nurse-Bear
Klef-Lars
Bou-Kooler
4k.

Seems decent. Bring back the shutdown pair if Kelf doesn't come back.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I wonder what Dave Poulin thinks of Toronto.

A week and a half ago, we were suffering through comparisons of Toronto's awesome defence contrasted with Montreal's.

The post-facto analyses are entertaining; that's about it.

spoutbec

Jun 27, 2015
I'm not nearly as worried about what we sign Nuge for as making sure NO NMC or NTC. Sign him for now, trade him in a year or two.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I choose a pair of 3.5 million players over a 6 7 million nuge. No use in the playoffs.
Barrie can go. Invisible in playoffs. Plays for points.
Larsson should stay as he pretty much did his job.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad