The Star: Dave Nonis wanted the Leafs to hire Dallas Eakins instead of Randy Carlyle as coach

RogerRoeper*

The media really goes for the throat after a tough loss.

I find it unfair to include Carlyle's record from last year. What a horrific mess he walked into.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Firstly, I see a lot of similarities between Eakins and Carlyle. Hence there shouldnt be much shock that a guy like Kadri is thriving under Carlyle.

Secondly, Carlyle was screwed from the second he became our coach last year. Kulemin got injured, Lupul got injured, and with Frattin and Gardiner eating 2 of our post-trade deadline callups, Randy didnt have much room to work with. He wanted more physicality so he called up Rosehill, and then when we needed a bottom 6 winger he opted for Ashton, and the complete recomendation of Eakins

RogerRoeper*

Eakins "Kadri is fat" comments and then whining about the media making a big deal about it worries me he'd go nuts coaching the Leafs.

That was such a stupid thing he did. Kadri is just climbing from under the bus.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Eakins "Kadri is fat" comments and then whining about the media making a big deal about it worries me he'd go nuts coaching the Leafs.

That was such a stupid thing he did. Kadri is just climbing from under the bus.

He said Kadri scored the lowest when it came to body fat. This was in response to a question about how Naz did in the 1st day of Marlies camp.

1 week later he called Kadri and Aucoin the two most skilled offensive players on the team and raved about Kadri's work ethic.

1 year prior he also called Kadri the most dangerous player in the offensive zone in the AHL.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'd have been amazed if Nonis didn't go to bat for Eakins when they were discussing who to hire. Nonis was the GM of the Marlies, so I would expect that he would be one most likely to outline Eakins' strengths.

And as for Eakins staying with the Toronto organization, why does it have to be because he's waiting for Carlyle to be fired? Isn't it just as possible that he feels another season in the AHL would increase his chance for success as a NHL coach? Or maybe he simply didn't want any of the jobs available.

RogerRoeper*

He said Kadri scored the lowest when it came to body fat. This was in response to a question about how Naz did in the 1st day of Marlies camp.

1 week later he called Kadri and Aucoin the two most skilled offensive players on the team and raved about Kadri's work ethic.

1 year prior he also called Kadri the most dangerous player in the offensive zone in the AHL.

And why did he feel he had to add that information exactly?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2 bad periods. Must have had this article filed and ready to go.

Fact: Eakins had never even coached an AHL playoff game when Carlyle was hired -- not one.

Carlyle had a Stanley Cup and missed the playoffs only twice in 12 seasons as a pro coach.

Nonis was wrong if this was his thought.

Its a fact also Dan Bylsma never coached a AHL playoff game prior to winning a Stanley Cup. Just thought you should know.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
And why did he feel he had to add that information exactly?

If Im not mistaken, he was raving about Paul Ranger's fitness, saying he tested the best in some category, despite the fact he was out of the game for 2 years.

Then a reporter asked how Kadri did, and Eakins was straight up like "he scored the worst in body fat bla boa"

IMO, I agree it was a mistake on Eakins part. As Carlyle has quickly figured out (based on his comments about JVR and Grabo), constructive criticism in public turns into pure criticism once the media is done with their columns.

Thats being said, Kadri responded. It doesnt take much to realize that Kadri respects the hell out of Eakins, and that in turn, Dallas appreciates the talent of Naz. He holds Kadri accountable when he does stupid stuff, but when Kadri is rolling, Dallas rides the heck out of him

You Like Boyce

Mar 7, 2011
I'd really be surprised if the entire front office of any team agrees on everything. Guys will have their 'guys'. Ultimately Burke had the final say and it's not like Carlyle isn't qualified despite what some of the pros on here have to say

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Carlyle has been really good, totally transformed this team. It's not his fault that Scrivens (as well as most of the team) was awful yesterday. I like what Carlyle is doing. My only complaint is that his style is a little boring. Phil doesn't fit in with Carlyle's style of play at all. A 2-way young, strong player like Voracek would fit in much better.

Which is why, if we ever decide to trade Kessel (mind you, I love Phil), I'd like to see Phil for Voracek++.

NOTE THE ++, PLEASE.

I also see Eakins taking over for Carlyle in a couple years if we continue to suck. He's such a good developmental coach. He's great with his players- it's so much easier to listen to a coach emphasize fitness who is a fitness FREAK. He brings young players together so well.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Carlyle has been really good, totally transformed this team. It's not his fault that Scrivens (as well as most of the team) was awful yesterday. I like what Carlyle is doing. My only complaint is that his style is a little boring. Phil doesn't fit in with Carlyle's style of play at all. A 2-way young, strong player like Voracek would fit in much better.

Which is why, if we ever decide to trade Kessel (mind you, I love Phil), I'd like to see Phil for Voracek++.

NOTE THE ++, PLEASE.

I also see Eakins taking over for Carlyle in a couple years if we continue to suck. He's such a good developmental coach. He's great with his players- it's so much easier to listen to a coach emphasize fitness who is a fitness FREAK. He brings young players together so well.

If we're dealing with Philly I want Couts or B. Schenn in return.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Doesn't really matter who we have as coach, GM, CEO or janitor. WE NEED SOMEONE WHO CAN STOP PUCKS!!!!!!!.........A goalie is like a QB in football. A pitcher in Baseball. The game all stems from the goalie out. Get it together Reimer! Get it together Scrivens. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure if Carlyle has the team playing well he will remain the coach for a long time. If the team sucks well at least we know Eakins knows he's wanted here. Win Win as far as I see.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
The Toronto Star wanted Toronto to change their Mayor....FAIL. Now they want to stir the pot on the Leaf coaching....Bush. The competition for eyeballs is intense among Toronto media, especially the print media.....so this type of crap is thrown out there for the weak-minded masses.

1. Write a piece of garbage article with a dash of fabricated controversy
2. ??????
3. Profit.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Toronto Media at its finest :handclap::handclap:well played... Person who wrote this article.... You are diffenatly part of the Wisers Brotherhood :handclap::handclap:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If we're dealing with Philly I want Couts or B. Schenn in return.

Exactly lol and one of those two ++.

Carter got Voracek, 1st (8th overall). Kessel is a far better player than Carter at this stage, he'll get more than that in return.

I don't want the Leafs to trade him though, anything we get in return won't be the same as Kessel.

We need to trade to upgrade, not downgrade.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have a gut feeling Eakins will be the Leafs coach one day, not sure how it shakes out. But I doubt Nonis will make the same mistake Burke did when he inherited a coach.

Nonis and Eakins have a history together as he does with Carlyle, the last head coach Nonis hired is still coaching for Vancouver. Whomever Nonis chooses he has had a good track record of identifying head coaching material.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Both good coaches IMO. I'm happy with Carlyle, and would have been happy with Eakins too. Eakins will get his shot in the future, hopefully with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad