The Star: Dave Nonis wanted the Leafs to hire Dallas Eakins instead of Randy Carlyle as coach

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...is-knows-his-way-around-leafs-gm-role-feschuk

And though Nonis is Burke’s indebted protégé — Nonis even came to his first press conference as chief Leaf wearing the loosened-tie look that Burke made a trademark — there’s reason to believe he is something else important. Specifically, his own man.

Where Burke was a combative contrarian, people close to the game will tell you Nonis has built a name as a quiet consensus builder. Their paths have run in parallel. Their styles are divergent. And certainly they haven’t always agreed.

When the club was looking for a coach to replace Ron Wilson in the grim days when last season transformed itself into a lost season, NHL sources say Nonis went to bat for Dallas Eakins, then and now the coach of the AHL Marlies. Nonis and other front-office executives were of the belief that Eakins is everything a modern-era coach should be; progressive but hard-nosed, communicative with players but never friends with them. Burke, of course, insisted on his old friend Randy Carlyle. And though Carlyle certainly deserves a chance to prove himself in the coming 48-game season, the early returns on his tenure — six wins in 18 games after taking over for Wilson in March — suggest the old-school taskmaster may not be the best fit for one of the NHL’s youngest collections of athletes.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Well this is awkward. However I would be very very happy if Eakins became the coach of the leafs soon, he's all I like in a coach.

Don't get my wrong I love carlyle's defensive games and his way of approaching the team, not to mention a Norris trophy and a stanley cup winner as well. However I agree with Nonis' idea of making team with a new age coach as we are starting to see guys like Byslma and what not would've been great.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Nonis and other front-office executives were of the belief that Eakins is everything a modern-era coach should be; progressive but hard-nosed, communicative with players but never friends with them.

That sounds a lot like Carlyle.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can someone highlight the part where Nonis says this? I skimmed through the article and don't see it.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This is old news (even the linked story is from January 10th) but Carlyle and Nonis have a long history together so it should be fine.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't mind Carlyle, actually. But Eakins may well get his chance, as Bellgers will no doubt want their own man in as President, who will then want his own GM, etc.

Twix

Patch of velcro
Aug 12, 2011
So is the Star implying Eakins will replace RC if we have another poor season?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well hopefully Nonis convinces him to stick around, however, I wouldn't be upset if Carlyle was our coach for a long while. He is a good coach, and we need to put some stability back into this organization.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Feschuk is a degenerate and a poor excuse for a journalist. What possible motive could he have for such a controversial article other than to make waves within the organization and try to create the public impression of a rift between Nonis and Carlyle.

Last edited:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I was hoping they hired Eakins but I am glad Carlyle is here looking back at the situation. I think he's done a great job thus far. Eakins should be next in line if something were to happen though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm happy with Carlyle. We can't go with inexperienced coaches.

Look at Carolina...they have Staals, Skinner, Ward, Semin and I still dont think they're going to make the playoffs.

We've got a good coach that knows how to instill defense in his system. The only problem so far with Carlyle is Kostka on the PP and needless switching of #5/#6D's every game.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Nonis wasn't in the position Burke was at the time.. No hard feelings because Burke hired Carlyle not Nonis.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It would have made sense, especially if the Leafs go with youth/Marlies. Since when does this organization do things that make sense, though?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Nonis wasn't in the position Burke was at the time.. No hard feelings because Burke hired Carlyle not Nonis.

Indeed, and he's stated in the past Nonis had Carlyle as well with his AHL team in Manitoba. He has no problem and if he wants could easily change it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad