The Star: Dave Nonis wanted the Leafs to hire Dallas Eakins instead of Randy Carlyle as coach

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yea, give Eakins Scrivens/Reimer/Gus and see if he can with that at the NHL level :rolleyes: Fact is, until we see some consistent play from our goalies, no coach in the league will win here.

G51 K81*

One bad game and the fanbase/media destruct.

Idk what Burke was saying, but we have the most childish fanbase in the world. Suits and babies.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The funny thing about this article is that Eakins is good friends with Carlyle and has said that he has mirrored his coaching philosophies and system to that of Carlyle. If they had done their homework, they would realize that Coach Eakins is pretty much a younger version of Coach Carlyle.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Wasn't it Eakins who said he wanted more time in the AHL?

Eakins declined to be interviewed for jobs such as Calgary. His full-intention from the beginning was to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs. I believe this is why he is playing the waiting game to see if Randy Carlyle get's canned. If that doesn't happen in the next season and a half look for Eakins to find a head coaching role elsewhere.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think the article is fairly accurate, there always is a difference of opinion, on plenty of the issues regarding a hockey team and I'm sure a lot of it is gut feel and at the time when the Leafs were looking for a coach, Burke chose Carlyle.

I very much wanted Eakins to become the coach and as a matter of fact, I still do but it would mean Carlyle isn't getting the job done and that also doesn't sit well with me.

Carlyle is an experienced NHL coach but I felt the players, would have responded better to Eakins, as many of them had played for him on the Marlies and under his coaching, had a great deal of success.

Nonis will be different from Burke and there is no doubt, he will do things a little differently than Burke would but by and large they think the same way, in a lot of areas.

I really think the change of GM's, had more to do with off ice stuff, than on ice decisions and although I don't totally agree with that change, I know Nonis can get the job done and will guide the team in much the same direction as Burke would have.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I'm going to disagree with many Leaf fans and say it can't happen soon enough. Carlisle's act is going to wear very quickly on fans and players. I don't know anyone who enjoys working for a micro managing boss.

Carlisle trys to impact too much of which he has little control. I like matching lines, but he is making it look like an olympic sport. Again, it's tough for players to get into a shift when they are constantly looking to the bench to see if he wants them on or off. Splitting lines on face-offs so you only have to change one or two players instead of the whole line is going to create un-nessary confusion and potentially bad line changes.

Love Carlisle's demands for competing and defensive zone awareness, but he doesn't need to over-think the rest. Yes, his Stanley Cup ring says "hi", but imo this is Burke worst decision.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm going to disagree with many Leaf fans and say it can't happen soon enough. Carlisle's act is going to wear very quickly on fans and players. I don't know anyone who enjoys working for a micro managing boss.

Carlisle trys to impact too much of which he has little control. I like matching lines, but he is making it look like an olympic sport. Again, it's tough for players to get into a shift when they are constantly looking to the bench to see if he wants them on or off. Splitting lines on face-offs so you only have to change one or two players instead of the whole line is going to create un-nessary confusion and potentially bad line changes.

Love Carlisle's demands for competing and defensive zone awareness, but he doesn't need to over-think the rest. Yes, his Stanley Cup ring says "hi", but imo this is Burke worst decision.

No decision Burke has ever made or will ever make be worse than keeping Wilson for nearly 4 years and even giving him an extension two months before he is fired.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

When you have a coach whose system won him and his players a Stanley Cup and as a player, you can't respond and get 'into it', then something is wrong with the player, not the coach. It's fair to say that with different personalities, you sometimes have to approach different players in different ways to get the best out of them, but getting the best out of the them isn't about what you say, it's about how you say it.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
No decision Burke has ever made or will ever make be worse than keeping Wilson for nearly 4 years and even giving him an extension two months before he is fired.

Can't argue with that.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I'm happy with Carlyle. Look how well they did versus Pittsburgh when they played to his system. Unfortunately they reverted to Rotten Ronnie's playbook last night. Despite last night's disaster Leafs are still 4th best in shots against per game. Having the goalie stop a few would have worked wonders against the Isles.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
This organization has done it wrong for so many years. It is the GM who should hire his coach, but everytime time we make a GM change, the coach is already in place. Ron Wilson wasn't Burke's choice, Carlyle wasn't Nonis' choice. I like Randy Carlyle and am glad he's our coach, but I can see Nonis wanting to make his OWN choice.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011

I agree with this. Worst decision by Burke was the loyalty to Wilson.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While I would actually prefer Eakins to Carlyle, I dot Ben understand why Carlyle is seen as old school when he's only been in the league as coach for less than a decade. I did find Burke's automatic Ducks cronyism a bit lazy but I'm not sure that Carlyle is really that put of touch.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
What will The Star write about next? "Nonis wanted meatlover's, but Burke always ordered Hawaian"

The Toronto Star wanted Toronto to change their Mayor....FAIL. Now they want to stir the pot on the Leaf coaching....Bush. The competition for eyeballs is intense among Toronto media, especially the print media.....so this type of crap is thrown out there for the weak-minded masses.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

This I agree with. I've vouched for wilson several times and man did I hope wilson learned his lesson of defense but he expected too much skill from areas that wasn't present.

Johnny malkin people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad