The Star: Dave Nonis wanted the Leafs to hire Dallas Eakins instead of Randy Carlyle as coach

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Details are tight on Carlyle's contract but if I recall correctly he has 2 years remaining after this season. Usually the final year of a coaching contract is a parachute year so realistically he is only signed for this year and next.

I like Carlyle, I like his philosophy on hockey. Should be interesting if Eakins stays after this season, he has an out in his contract, but he may just hang around, coaching the Marlies is not the worst thing in the AHL.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Wow. One loss and all this negativity to stir up s**t.

Whats next. Trade Kadri? Oh. wait.

again ,why is it negativity .eakins should have gotten the job and its also beem mentioned on hockeycentral that nonis didnt love the kessel deal
IMO .....KESSEL wont get a pennie more than his current level of money from the leafs ,i think hes going to anaheim in a mega deal ....just a hunch
i think nonis is an astute hockey man that knows his time is now as a GM and will do things he believes in .
i think he had more than a few arguments with burkie ,but time will tell

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Eakins and Carlyle have the same system, with a few differences, at least that's what Carlyle said. I'm happy with what Carlyle has done so far. And the record should be thrown out the door this early in his tenure, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. It's going to take time and the proper players to perfect this system and to start winning more games.

Vintage Leaf Memories

Jan 7, 2013
Carlyle is no doubt working with a fairly wide safety net. It seems clear, however, that Nonis and Eakins are more closely aligned in terms of temperament, and perhaps philosophy in terms of style of play...

12345*

I think Eakins will stick around. Family is in the city, he knows ownership and management and there is a mutual respect there. Coaches don't make a rediculous amount (compared to players) so I don't he could convince himself that moving elsewhere to an unknown team, management, and structure would be worthwhile for a guy his age with a family.

And I think he will get his opportunity with the Leafs. Coaches don't last forever unless you are Lindy Ruff.

12345*

Carlyle is no doubt working with a fairly wide safety net. It seems clear, however, that Nonis and Eakins are more closely aligned in terms of temperament, and perhaps philosophy in terms of style of play...

Agreed. I think they are aligned, and their ability to communicate with the media seems more appropriate for companies like Rogers and Bell. If the team was owned by a single individual, abrasiveness with the public and media outlets wouldn't matter. With Rogers, they have a brand to uphold. They don't want "dick" and abrasive being linked to their hard earned brand because that can have an impact on the rest of their business.

Mar 26, 2010
Nonis is 100% right, Carlyle is not the coach for this team and he will scare away high profile UFA's as he is not a very liked coach.

No question about it that Eakins is the way to go. Carlyle should be removed.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Can't believe people want to dump Carlyle already. SMH!

Yeah, it's instant gratification or nothing;) I'm impressed with Randy Carlyle in the brief time he has had with the team so far. At the end of the day, he like any other coach will be judged on results. Dallas Eakins is also impressive and is an up and coming talent. He deserves a shot at the NHL at some point. But I see no reason to think that shot will be in Toronto any time soon.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think some people are overreacting here. There is a difference between Eakins being Nonis' first choice and Nonis vehemently disliking Caryle.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
I had a feeling when Carlyle was hired that the style he wants to play doesn't fit our personnel. I too wanted Eakins as many fo ur players, and those who will eb our players have grown up as pros under Eakins. I have a feeling that Nonis wont hesitate to hire Eakins if it looks like Carlyle isn't doing the job.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
What a waste if Eakins walks at the end of this year (which is looking more and more likely considering its the end of his contract year)

More than any move that could happen in the next little while, I would support Easkins as head coach 10 times out of 10

Winners win and losers complain they don't have the right pieces. Eakins is a winner

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
What a waste if Eakins walks at the end of this year (which is looking more and more likely considering its the end of his contract year)

More than any move that could happen in the next little while, I would support Easkins as head coach 10 times out of 10

Winners win and losers complain they don't have the right pieces. Eakins is a winner
I haven't heard RC say that. After Wilson this guy's post-loss interviews are pretty straight up.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I haven't heard RC say that. After Wilson this guy's post-loss interviews are pretty straight up.

Not saying Carlyle does that or he doesn't. Everything I've read about Carlyle is that he's got great communication with his players, they all know where they stand, and they seem to really like him

I'm saying Eakins is a winner and he wouldn't get involved in all this nonsense about players not "living up to expectations" (of fans typically) and I'd rather stop supporting a team with the broken philosophical tendency of saying

"this model has worked other places so it will work in Toronto"

It's not a beauty contest, and I'm not placing a crown on anyone's head

Carlyle was good for the Ducks, Eakins has been good for the Marlies, I'd rather support Toronto of the future not Anaheim of the past

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Details are tight on Carlyle's contract but if I recall correctly he has 2 years remaining after this season. Usually the final year of a coaching contract is a parachute year so realistically he is only signed for this year and next.

I like Carlyle, I like his philosophy on hockey. Should be interesting if Eakins stays after this season, he has an out in his contract, but he may just hang around, coaching the Marlies is not the worst thing in the AHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389346

March 3, 2012

Carlyle, who has signed a contract with the team for three years after this season, has a history with Burke, as the two were together during the Ducks Stanley Cup title in 2007.

Carlyle was replaced by Bruce Boudreau as head coach of the Ducks last December after the team opened the season with a 7-13-4 record.

"He's not a sensitive guy and he's not going to hug you after you come off the ice after a bad shift," NHL on TSN analyst Keith Jones said on Friday. "This is a tough, hard-nosed hockey coach that knows how to win."

"All the things that Brian Burke wanted from a hockey club when he came and talked about what he wanted to do with the Maple Leafs, that's the way Randy Carlyle's teams play." former Carolina Hurricanes and Maple Leafs coach Paul Maurice said on the NHL on TSN. "You saw it in Anaheim, very physical."

"They played a mean game, a hard game."

NHL on NBC studio analyst Jeremy Roenick was on the Team 1040 Radio in Vancouver and said that he was surprised by the change. The former NHL'er also stated that he felt things were going to get tougher for the current Leafs.

"All those players in the Maple Leafs locker room are going to wish they played harder and more correctly for Ron Wilson," Roenick said.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Nonis is 100% right, Carlyle is not the coach for this team and he will scare away high profile UFA's as he is not a very liked coach.

No question about it that Eakins is the way to go. Carlyle should be removed.

How do you know this exactly? Just curious... any links? proof? Or just an assumption?

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Not saying Carlyle does that or he doesn't. Everything I've read about Carlyle is that he's got great communication with his players, they all know where they stand, and they seem to really like him

I'm saying Eakins is a winner and he wouldn't get involved in all this nonsense about players not "living up to expectations" (of fans typically) and I'd rather stop supporting a team with the broken philosophical tendency of saying

"this model has worked other places so it will work in Toronto"

It's not a beauty contest, and I'm not placing a crown on anyone's head

Carlyle was good for the Ducks, Eakins has been good for the Marlies, I'd rather support Toronto of the future not Anaheim of the past

Just to be clear - you are suggesting Carlyle is a part of Anaheim's past, and so, you rather have Eakins as the head coach of the Leafs? If so - all credibility from your posts will be lost....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad