Dave Nonis riding high in return to Vancouver as Leafs GM

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435649

Struck by the patience of his first boss with the Canucks, Pat Quinn, Nonis would glean additional tips of the trade from those around him in the ensuing years – "there's a lot of people in this league that are very good at what they do and have done a better job than I've ever done" – including Burke during stints in Anaheim and Toronto. He would take note of what others around the league had done, how contenders in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago and St. Louis were built. He saw how they'd establish a foundation of core players and then allow that core to grow and eventually win together.

"You can count a lot of Stanley Cups on those teams," Nonis said.

Though the Leafs have the early blocks of such a core – after trades for Phaneuf, Kessel, van Riemsdyk, Lupul, Bernier and Gardiner as well as the drafting of Kadri and Rielly among others – the team has not yet reached Nonis's preferred destination.

What he wants is continued progress in a positive direction, with his Leafs leading the Eastern Conference entering a Saturday affair with the Canucks.

"We think it's going the right way," said Nonis, at the helm when the club snapped a nine-year playoff drought last spring.

"We're not where we need to be, but we're a lot better than we were. The reserve list is stronger than it was. Our farm team is younger and still remaining competitive. There's a lot of good things happening, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. I don't think we could stand up and said that we're close to done. We have a lot of work yet to do and if we want to get to be one of those elite teams. I wouldn't say we're a long way away, but we definitely need to continue to improve and add the pieces that those upper-echelon teams have."

For whatever success the Leafs achieve this season you can be sure that Nonis will not attempt to fast-forward the process with short-sighted, short-term fixes. It's why he's not inclined to move first round picks or young players for aging talent. His blueprint features a young core that will take steps together, progressing as the Canucks eventually did after his dismissal.

"If you're a deep enough team you can trade away a top prospect and not even feel it then you've done a really good job of building your reserve list and your farm system and you can move those prospects for pieces that might put you over the top," said Nonis.

"We're not there yet. We need to continue to add those pieces so I wouldn't say we would never move a first round pick or a young player, but if we do at least at this stage of our development it'll be for another young player; it's not going to be for an older player."

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This was so beautiful to read. I had all the confidence in the world for Nonis and now it just re-confirms everything. I could read this article over and over again. Folks we have a brilliant GM. This guy is patient yet when the time is right will make a move for the present. For now it's still about building that core but like he said as we continue to grow when we trade a first round pick or a top prospect for a veteran we shouldn't have to feel it. That's when you know we have a deep farm system. I'm glad MLSE is allowing him to do his job and not interfere with quick fixes, the patience that Nonis is showing is really starting to pay off.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It makes a girl want to cry. (sniff).
He speaks when needed, makes necessary moves, and won't budge if presented with stupidness. #smartnonis

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That was music to my ears. Something I've wanted to hear for almost ten years

"If you're a deep enough team you can trade away a top prospect and not even feel it then you've done a really good job of building your reserve list and your farm system and you can move those prospects for pieces that might put you over the top," said Nonis.

"We're not there yet. We need to continue to add those pieces so I wouldn't say we would never move a first round pick or a young player, but if we do at least at this stage of our development it'll be for another young player; it's not going to be for an older player."

Agreed .. Nonis is a patient GM and so in Nonis we trust.

"Play the Kids" :hockey:

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Really enjoyed that article, wish Burke got more shout outs in this though for the part he played

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak~signing
Clarkson~signing
Bernier~trade
Lupul~signing
Kessel~signing
Raymond~signing
Bolland~trade
Orr~signing
Fraser~signing
Komisarek~buyout
Grabo~buyout

Put a checkmark beside all of the above. I loved every move this GM has made. He's batting a 1000 right now, whether this is true 5 years from now we will wait and see, but IMO he's been flawless with his moves thus far.

#NonisSmartMan

Thanks Daisy.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That article filled me with so much confidence. From his words (and actions), he's definitely the right man to lead this team.

Last edited:

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
As much as I liked Burke as our GM and credit where it's due he brought in a lot of the pieces we're seeing today

It's nice to have a GM who quietly gets on with it :)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Agreed .. Nonis is a patient GM and so in Nonis we trust.

"Play the Kids" :hockey:

Nonis following Burke has been a great scenario for this organization. Burke was never shy to pull the trigger on a risky trade, which created the majority of the team's core. Without Burke pulling the trigger on so many deals the Leafs aren't close to the team they are today. We have Burke to thank for Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, JVR, Franson and Gardiner...major core pieces. All of those deals are heavily weighted in the Leafs favour and they didn't lose key pieces leaving in the trades.

Then bring in Nonis who has tweaked the team into (IMO) a perennial playoff team. He hasn't been scared to clear out all of the dead weight, creating space for younger, hungrier and more talented players. His moves seem to be extremely calculated and have benefited the team greatly. So nice to have a GM you can be confident in and a team that actually has a bright future.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's nice to have a GM who quietly gets on with it :)

This is the one of things I like about Nonis . He does his job and doesn't feel the need to go on a media tour to pat himself on the back whenever the team is performing well .

Overall he's done very well so far and has gone about his job without being a distraction to the team .

Delicious Dangles*

It's funny, because Burke said the exact same things. Also, Burke did all the heavy lifting and took all the risks and bashing and essentially sacrificed his job to bring in this core and management.

Yet for some reason, Nonis is praised. For some reason, people have "100% faith for the first time" in Nonis. Well kids, the reason you have such a sense of security, is because the necessary big risks are pretty much over and done with. All that was left for Nonis to do was to wait, and to bring in complementary pieces. Easy Peasy.

I do have to give Nonis props for a couple things that have worked out well.

The Bernier trade looks good value-wise, however, he was not needed, and it is only a 1 year thing. We can't afford both after this season. So we traded for a goalie, and then 1 year later, we will have to trade one away. And getting good value for goalies is difficult. It doesn't even matter which one we trade, because they are the same quality essentially, with different strengths and weaknesses.

The Bolland trade was also a good move, as long as we are able to keep him past this year. Has filled in well in the 3rd-line role. Though with all these extra offensive chances given to him, we may very well price him out of our team, or out of the 3rd line role that he fits in. We will probably afford one of Kulemin or Bolland, so we essentially spent draft picks for no net gain past this year.

The Lupul, Kessel, Gunnarsson, Franson, Kadri and Raymond signings were good too, though as expected for all except Raymond. And again, we probably will not be able to keep Raymond past this year.

And therein lies the problem. Nonis' bad cap management has cost us the great cap position that Burke left us in. And this may cancel out the good that Nonis has done.

Bozak signing was bad. Not needed and no long-term role on this team. Is not a 1st or 2nd line center. Heck, we don't even know if he is capable of being a 3rd line center, and is redundant (and overpaid) with Bolland/Gauthier. Nobody knows how he will perform with 3rd-line minutes, no PPG wingers, no PP time, etc. but that is where he will eventually end up.

Clarkson signing was bad. Sure, he's a nice player to have, and has a role this year, but that 5.25 million for 7 years will kill us on the 3rd line, which is where he will end up eventually, if he can even keep up this current level of play over that time.

Nonis' compliance buyouts were bad. If Grabovski had been kept (which he should have been), then Komisarek and Liles should have been bought out. If Grabovski was not being kept, then Grabovski and Liles should have been bought out, and Komisarek should have had a regular buyout. As a result of Nonis' moves, we have dead cap space for the next 3 years (you could argue more, with Bozak's contract for 5 years as a result of buying out grabovski, who would have been a better top-6 player).

Liking Nonis' moves is all well and good. We all have our opinions. But don't forget the REAL man that brought this all together.

BayStreetBullies*

This is the one of things I like about Nonis . He does his job and doesn't feel the need to go on a media tour to pat himself on the back whenever the team is performing well.

Except Burke never did that, literally or figuratively. Sorry to burst your hate bubble.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Burke does get his fair credit. But I think something that people seem to push under the rug, or go "well WHO was the GM?" is that Nonis was the one who did a lot of the heavy work to GET Phaneuf, Lupul/Gardiner to Toronto. Burke SAID it.

Kessel was all Burke (Nonis himself said if it were him he'd probably not have done it. Which - you know could be a different story, because it doesn't necessarily mean that Seguin would not have worked here).

JVR - all Burke (I don't remember reading anything that Nonis did any leg work on that one. [and again - that was like the steal of a lifetime].

But Phaneuf? right off the bat, Burke was like - "Nonis did most of the work on that trade, I just closed the deal off."

Lupul/Gardiner - Burke again thanked Nonis for doing the majority of the work.

Nonis is doing a great job. I've said this before - I like how he's not just flinging unnecessary money at people. Grabo more than likely would still be a leaf had he been making 1 to 1.5 million dollars less. [Komisarek and Liles would have probably been the two buyouts]. whatever you want to say about his point production etc - there was no way that Grabo could have stayed at 5.4 million and then go to Kadri and Bozak and go "so, even though you have more points, and all of that other than Grabo - you have to take less money, kthnxbye."

But more importantly what's really telling to me: Nonis is prepared to lose his job - to ensure that he doesn't screw the future of the team he's working for. Think about that for a moment. Nonis got fired for not getting Brad Richards, which would have meant dealing Schnider and a lot of other assets/picks to "help" Vancouver.

How many times in Toronto have we SEEN GMs (Quinn/JFJ) make moves (albeit due to the board) slap mud on a sinking ship to help us limp into playoffs.

So for Nonis to know where the wind was blowing - and refuse to screw the team over - that speaks VOLUMES, because you know the pressure here is like 1000x worse.

And what does Nonis do/say about it.
"If the player comes to me and tells me he wants to stay in Toronto, I will do my best to make it happen to the betterment of the team."

He puts the ownus on the player AND himself to make a better Toronto Maple Leafs franchise.

Heck. Yeah.

The Bernier trade looks good value-wise, however, he was not needed, and it is only a 1 year thing. We can't afford both after this season. So we traded for a goalie, and then 1 year later, we will have to trade one away. And getting good value for goalies is difficult. It doesn't even matter which one we trade, because they are the same quality essentially, with different strengths and weaknesses.

There are a few 1A-1B tandems in the League that work. (St Louis comes to mind instantly).

This is not a slam against Scrivens in the least (considering he is doing very well in LA). but when elite, quality ANYTHING is available - you get it. End of story, period. I don't know what more can be said when the GM of LA was pissed off that he had to trade Bernier (but had to because he made him a promise), the FANS were like Bernier was the #1 reason they made the playoffs last year (when Quick was injured) the media (who tends to :facepalm: ANY trade we do - said we pretty much did something great), that people are still quibbling that we got a fantastic goalie.

Because once again it works like this
A: Reimer is awesome
B: Bernier is awesome
C: if one sucks - the other one is good enough to steal a game (see: Ottawa game)
D: it's very unlikely BOTH will suck at the same time
E: one of the two can net us some pretty high end draft picks

so either way - the Leafs are looking good and sitting pretty.

The Bolland trade was also a good move, as long as we are able to keep him past this year. Has filled in well in the 3rd-line role. Though with all these extra offensive chances given to him, we may very well price him out of our team, or out of the 3rd line role that he fits in. We will probably afford one of Kulemin or Bolland, so we essentially spent draft picks for no net gain past this year.

I don't understand why people think Bolland is going to bolt this summer. (esp. because it seems that people think Nonis won't find the money to keep Bolland). Bolland is getting a lot of chances he didn't seem to get in Chicago. He can play on the 2nd line, he's getting PP time, PK time, and as well as the crucial minutes like he's used to. And again - considering the second the cup was presented, Nonis called Stan Bowen to say "I want Bolland." makes one think that Nonis did not do this for a 1 year bandaid.

And therein lies the problem. Nonis' bad cap management has cost us the great cap position that Burke left us in. And this may cancel out the good that Nonis has done.

hooboy.

Bozak signing was bad. Not needed and no long-term role on this team. Is not a 1st or 2nd line center. Heck, we don't even know if he is capable of being a 3rd line center, and is redundant (and overpaid) with Bolland/Gauthier. Nobody knows how he will perform with 3rd-line minutes, no PPG wingers, no PP time, etc. but that is where he will eventually end up.

as I doubt Gauthier will be up here any time soon - i doubt that makes Bozak redundant.
the options were this

A: Weiss - no thank you
B: shove Kadri up there - which is going to end up anyway - Randy's giving him more responsibility
C: Grabovski
D: Bozak

I get people loathe/hate him whatever, but I like option D better. and I LIKED Grabovski.

Clarkson signing was bad. Sure, he's a nice player to have, and has a role this year, but that 5.25 million for 7 years will kill us on the 3rd line, which is where he will end up eventually, if he can even keep up this current level of play over that time.

I'm not saying the guy is Gary Roberts, but I think the mantra is - if they can get 4 really good years out of Clarkson - 5-6-7 is a wash. And I think in a cap-era, you are going to have to wrap your head around getting some players means you are going to get some lengths in term that sound weird but you're paying for the quality of the KEY years.

I truthfully don't understand how people always bemoan that people don't want to sign in Toronto, then they DO sign in Toronto and then bemoan the fact that they spent money. There is a huge chunk of our team - love them - that doesn't go to the front of the net. JVR does, Raymond kind of does, and Lupul does. the rest kind of drive TO the net, but you see it on the powerplay (In Calgary). Randy is screaming on the bench "WHO IS AT THE FRONT OF THE NET!" that's Clarkson's job. AND he's got a great board game, and he can piss people off, AND he brings leadership, AND he's got some SCF experience.

he's necessary. the end.

Nonis' compliance buyouts were bad. If Grabovski had been kept (which he should have been), then Komisarek and Liles should have been bought out. If Grabovski was not being kept, then Grabovski and Liles should have been bought out, and Komisarek should have had a regular buyout. As a result of Nonis' moves, we have dead cap space for the next 3 years (you could argue more, with Bozak's contract for 5 years as a result of buying out grabovski, who would have been a better top-6 player).

But. HE. WASN'T. Garbs and Pi posted this several times. Grabovski wasn't instantly demoted to the third line. That's where KADRI was. I don't mean to be so blunt about this - but Grabo sucked last year. He sucked bananas. Kadri outplayed him and was moved, and in his new role, Grabo couldn't/wasn't able to perform well.

Bolland can. He can play 2nd line minutes, he can play third line minutes. and to this I'd just like to point out something:

has anyone noticed - or realized - that the Leafs have only blown 1 lead that was carried into the third period that resulted in a Loss? (Carolina). I'm not saying that ALL the blown leads we ever had last season was Grabos fault, but let's also call a sugar cookie a sugar cookie - despite our "defensive" failings we aren't blowing leads.

(compared to last year that we were blowing leads on almost a nightly basis and either coming BACK to win in regulation (rare) or losing in the shootout (more often than naught).

And this also goes back to my earlier statement: You can't blame Nonis for buying out Grabo without putting the ownus on Burke for giving him that MASSIVE contract extension. that's what hurt the team.

and the Komisarek/Liles thing: liles is still tradeable (the cap is low, which is why i feel there is no movement). someone broke it down that it worked out better to keep Liles over Komisarek.

Liking Nonis' moves is all well and good. We all have our opinions. But don't forget the REAL man that brought this all together.

and Brian Burke would give David Nonis the credit he was due. End of story.
(as Nonis gives Burke).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Except Burke never did that, literally or figuratively. Sorry to burst your hate bubble.

Are you freaking kidding me !

Any time the Leafs went on any type of roll Burke would go on a media tour pimping himself and then he'd crawl back into his hole and hide when the team started to lose .

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The strong, silent type.

hqdefault.jpg

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
When you think about it, Burke saved this franchise with his amazing trades.

Lupul,JVR,Franson,Gardiner,Kessel,Phaneuf,(Drafting Kadri). That's like our core right there and we all got it from freaking trades lol!!! Not a lot of teams can say they build there core from trades haha..Burke is a genius when it comes to trades!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
When you think about it, Burke saved this franchise with his amazing trades.

Lupul,JVR,Franson,Gardiner,Kessel,Phaneuf,(Drafting Kadri). That's like our core right there and we all got it from freaking trades lol!!! Not a lot of teams can say they build there core from trades haha..Burke is a genius when it comes to trades!

Is that a core that you think will lead us to a cup ?

Kessel cost us Seguin and Hamilton

Gardiner/Franson haven't done much so far , they might become high quality players but we'll have to wait and see

Lupes-JVR-DP were excellent deals

Burke gets a lot of credit for making good deals at the t/d but every seller tends to score at that time of the year . He also missed on acquiring assets for Grabo/Mac and we ended up getting nothing for them .

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Burke and Nonis have set us up to be at the very least a competitive team for the foreseeable future. We have a good core group of impact prime or younger players: Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, and Bernier/Reimer. We've also been adding great "glue" players with the likes of: McClement, Bolland, Clarkson, Kulemin, and Raymond.

Obviously not every deal you make is going to be a good one, but as a whole, both Burke and Nonis have made more good moves than bad ones in their time with the Leafs. Burke was more brazen and more willing to make risky moves, but in general Nonis and Burke seem to have the same philosophy of team building (but have different personalities, and slightly different ways of implementing that philosophy) it's lead to a seamless transition between GM's and a nice level of continuity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad