Dave Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Woohoo. 1000 posts. Fire Hakstol thread time.

You got it. See you in November!

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stastny has nothing to do with it. For one, he was never going to Philly, he was staying out west. Hextall never had a chance with him, so it didn’t factor into any of his decisions.

Second, the Flyers had interest in JVR the very second they could speak to UFA’s. Giroux and others were actively helping recruit him. There was strong interest from both sides. Hextall wanted to sign him AND a center. They had the cap space to do it. It wasn’t one or the other. That is complete BS to think Hextall sat there and said, “oh well, I can’t get a center so I might as well sign JVR!” They agreed to a deal well before July 1st. Hextall said JVR was a target. It wasn’t dependent on anything else. More BS dishonesty from you.

And lastly, and most importantly, it still doesn’t change the fact you straight up said for months that the Flyers didn’t need a scoring LW, and Hextall clearly said that was a team need. Whenever reporters would ask him what his UFA targets would be, a scoring winger was always mentioned. And now you backtrack and flip flop and act like we needed one all along. You are the most dishonest person on this board. Can’t admit when you’re wrong, which seems to happen quite a lot. Maybe that’s why you don’t do it. If you did admit you were wrong you’d be apologizing every day. I bet that would get embarrassing after awhile.

Ron said he tried to sign a center, but he wanted three years and Ron only offered two.
Hextall didn't give a name, but Stastny was the obvious target.
Stastny was the player he wanted. You could see in his face at the press conference when he talked about signing a center.

We didn't need a scoring LW, I'd been happy to go with Lindblom as the 2 LW. I always said 3C on a short-term deal was the target in free agency. I'd was ready to go with Laughton - Stastny - Simmonds as our 3rd line in 2018-19. Overall, I think that's a better front 9 than what we have with JVR, not on talent but on fit.

I don't think Hextall planned to sign JVR, because he probably thought it would take 7 years (like other top free agents) and wasn't willing to give that long of a contract (no Hextall contract has gone past age 34, and and that's when the JVR deal ends). When JVR was willing to sign for 5 years, the deal became real. But before then, I doubt he was a priority for Ron.

Does JVR help? Of course. He's a pure goal scorer.
Would I prefer to have signed Stastny? Yes.
Because by 2020-21, when a two year Stastny deal would have expired, it's gonna get crowded in the Flyers' top 9.
Of course, when Hextall signed JVR, he didn't know the 2 BPAs would be Farabee and O'Brien.
Signing JVR pretty much kills a Simmonds extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad