Dave Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I thought being a coach meant being able to get the best out of your line up, maximizing it, if you will, Jeff doesn’t do this at all, he has routinely played trash players over effective ones time and time again, benching Ghost was a horrid tactic, and the result that came from it wasn’t because he was benched but because Ghost is a professional and instead of bitching went out and played his game, benching Ghost is like beating your 12 year old son with a pipe because he doesn’t wash the dishes fast enough, Sumple Hak is also way too stupid or stubborn to adjust to the flow of the game, and for a GM that preaches hockey IQ it is greatly missed with his head coach, I know coaches aren’t 100% the reason teams win and lose bit they play a part and I was optimistic when Hexy first hired him but over the course of his tenure here I can’t stand him at all, to me after 25+ years of watching Flyers hockey I found myself turning games off because how shitty of a coach he is*

*this is my opinion NOT A FACT, but even if they win a cup with Simple Hak, I’m still not going to like his bumpkin weak ass

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I thought being a coach meant being able to get the best out of your line up, maximizing it, if you will, Jeff doesn’t do this at all, he has routinely played trash players over effective ones time and time again, benching Ghost was a horrid tactic, and the result that came from it wasn’t because he was benched but because Ghost is a professional and instead of *****ing went out and played his game, benching Ghost is like beating your 12 year old son with a pipe because he doesn’t wash the dishes fast enough, Sumple Hak is also way too stupid or stubborn to adjust to the flow of the game, and for a GM that preaches hockey IQ it is greatly missed with his head coach, I know coaches aren’t 100% the reason teams win and lose bit they play a part and I was optimistic when Hexy first hired him but over the course of his tenure here I can’t stand him at all, to me after 25+ years of watching Flyers hockey I found myself turning games off because how ****ty of a coach he is*

Well, it sounds like there is only one thing to do:

Fire Hakstok.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Hak is here to stay baby!!!!!

Whether you like or not.... Hak is the best thing going today!!!! Whooooo!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: hatcher

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, because NHL players have proven to be geniuses, right?

Ever watch pre- or post-game shows?

There’s a lot of extremely stupid hockey ex-pros. Their opinion means nothing.

Good try.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I didn't make this up:

JVR did his homework on Dave Hakstol and was sold

Guess opinions on Hakstol among NHL players are a little different than this board?

Nope. I didn't even read that, and wouldn't if my life depended on it, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the only thing JvR thought about Hakstok was "What the living **** is wrong with this guy's teeth and why is he wearing a Van Halen t-shirt?"

Reactions: Embiid and Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My opinions are opinions, the NHL isn't my area of expertise, nor is it for anyone posting on this board, as far as I know (any professional scouts here? Former NHL coaches?).

The whole playing worse players over better players comes down to two players, Sanheim and Laughton.
I don't think anyone really wants to suggest there's a rat's hair difference between playing Lehtera, Weise, Read, Leier, Weal, Manning, MacDonald, Hagg.

I think they're not happy with Sanheim's development, they love his potential, but compare to how they talk about Myers. He improved when he returned from the AHL, was overmatched in the NHL playoffs and watching Sanheim in the AHL playoffs didn't inspire confidence in him as a top 4 NHL defenseman. He needs to add strength and an edge to his game, even Ghost was more physical last year. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But there's something going on. And to me, it's not about "playing favorites" but frustration with a young player.

Laughton just isn't a NHL center, the athleticism is there, he's got decent size, speed, a good shot, but he lacks defensive instincts and is a below average playmaker. On a deeper team that wouldn't matter just give him 8 minutes a night on a 4th line energy group - but if he is our 3C this season we have problems. He should be at LW where he doesn't have as much responsibility - and Hextall will probably ship him out once the next wave of talent hits the beach. Laughton wasn't a player Ron would have drafted. He had good Corsi and bad GF-GA with EVERY line combination they used, so it's unlikely to be a coincidence. I think it reflects his aggression in the O-zone creating shot opportunities and his deficiencies in his D-zone leading to opposition scoring.

You forgot Konecny. Or did you think that Raffl outplayed TK on the year and that putting him on the 1st line, giving him those minutes, and reducing TK's time in the playoffs was good coaching?

Reactions: Striiker

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah...he's not a good coach. Very poor at in game adjustments, bizarre attachment to fringe NHLers, closing games out with said scrubs..His lack of emotion and blandness also irritates the piss out of me.

9hbUqcA.jpg

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
BTW who started the Hakstok meme? I remember it being a thread title and obviously a typo but who would have guessed it would have stuck ….it just sounds funny...like the word poopy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
So then why did the coach overuse the trash soo much? :popcorn:

MacDonald, Manning, Hagg, Filppula, PEB, VDV.....

All SEVERELY overused.

He had better options. He chose the worse ones.

That means he's a bad coach. Simple.
Who did Hakstol have on the roster that would put MacDonald, Manning, Hagg, Fillpula, etc on the bench? I'm not saying that these guys played well but if there was a player that could have forced some of this low performance stuff off of the roster, Hextall would have obtained them and they would have played.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who did Hakstol have on the roster that would put MacDonald, Manning, Hagg, Fillpula, etc on the bench? I'm not saying that these guys played well but if there was a player that could have forced some of this low performance stuff off of the roster, Hextall would have obtained them and they would have played.
Sanheim should have been over Hagg the entire time.

But it’s really not even that they shouldn’t have been used, it’s that they shouldnt have been used the amount that they were used.

For example, Manning, Hagg, and MacDonald were all used more than Sanheim or Gudas and Filppula was used more than Patrick.

And on top of the amount they were used, it’s HOW they were used that’s the biggest issue because it best displays how flawed Hakstols player evaluations are. These guys were used as top PKers, to hold leads at the end of games, and just generally in a way that proves they were used out of preference instead of necessity.

Just look at how Filppula was 1C in elimination games of the playoffs... there’s no excuse for that. In the last two playoff games, he only played less than Giroux and Couturier. In those same two final playoff games, MacDonald and Manning were 2nd and 3rd ON THE ENTIRE TEAM in playing time...

Just example after example. I could keep going, but I think you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad