Dave Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Devils advocate perhaps here.

I do think unless the club somehow tanks we see Hak stick around for a while yet.

The natural continued infusion of talent will simply make the team better.

I do think Lappy’s time will be running out soon. Hopefully haha.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team will be too good for him to get fired.

They'll carry his ass like they did this year and continue trick gullible people into thinking he's not a disaster. If you only loosely pay attention you'll only see the wins/losses and not the things he actually has control over that get messed up every game.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

They'll carry his ass like they did this year and continue trick gullible people into thinking he's not a disaster. If you only loosely pay attention you'll only see the wins/losses and not the things he actually has control over that get messed up every game.

More or less what I see happening.

He’s our Mike Johnston.

Reactions: AdamParrot

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If we manage to win a cup he'd be our Dan Bylsma. Incompetent trash that got carried to a cup. That's why coaches shouldn't be judged by context-less wins/losses.

If we win the cup with him he can take me Shawshank style.

Personally, I hope he is replaced. 3/4 last coaches were Stevens, Berube and Hak. That’s a lot of meh right there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Yes, because wins and losses don't matter. :sarcasm:

JUST WIN BABY :popcorn:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So we sit here and watch every single game all season long, paying attention the whole time, seeing everything he does wrong time and time again ... and then the offseason hits and people want us to explain why he sucks? Yeah, that's going to be a no from me, dog. Maybe next time pay better attention.

Reactions: Embiid and Foggy14

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, because wins and losses don't matter. :sarcasm:

JUST WIN BABY :popcorn:
They matter, but they obviously aren't how you accurately judge the job a coach is doing.

If we're to be stupid and judge coaches based on wins, that would mean Hakstol was a horrible coach in 2016-2017 and then suddenly became a good coach the next in 2017-2018. Does that make sense to you? :popcorn:

I know you don't realize it, but the more you argue, the worse you look. You just lob up these weak arguments for me to spike back at you. It's honestly too easy.

Norze

Jun 28, 2018
Norway
I think Hak is a player’s coach and that he maybe lets the (leader) group in on decisions! He is going to be a lot more efficient when this team is out of bad "vets".

Bringing in JVR, friend of G doesn’t disturb the team spirit (spite him being a “star” FA player). But if this is the case, Simmonds Can`t be traded (bad cop). Somehow that’s not ideal, cause he probably should.

*Really I don’t know a f*** thing, but I don’t think he is close to being the worst coach I NHL!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They matter, but they obviously aren't how you accurately judge the job a coach is doing.

If we're to be stupid and judge coaches based on wins, that would mean Hakstol was a horrible coach in 2016-2017 and then suddenly became a good coach the next in 2017-2018. Does that make sense to you? :popcorn:

I know you don't realize it, but the more you argue, the worse you look. You just lob up these weak arguments for me to spike back at you. It's honestly too easy.

Yes, he got better players.
Lavi became dumb when his players became worse. Went to Nashville, got smart again.
It's amazing how even great coaches can't win without talent.

Flyers were not a talented team last year, too many rookies who weren't ready for a major role, too many washed up veterans, bad goalies, etc.
Only 4 forwards who'd play on a good team's top 6 (Giroux, Couts, Voracek, TK), 3 more in the top 9 (Patrick, Simmonds, Raffl).
Only 2 defensemen who'd play on a good team's top 4 (Provorov, Ghost).
No goalies who'd be considered starter quality.
Yet they still ended up making the playoffs with 98 points.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think Hak is a player’s coach and that he maybe lets the (leader) group in on decisions! He is going to be a lot more efficient when this team is out of bad "vets".

Bringing in JVR, friend of G doesn’t disturb the team spirit (spite him being a “star” FA player). But if this is the case, Simmonds Can`t be traded (bad cop). Somehow that’s not ideal, cause he probably should.

*Really I don’t know a f*** thing, but I don’t think he is close to being the worst coach I NHL!

I think Dan Hakstok is a veterans coach.

There I fixed that for you.

That or Giroux told Sanhiem to sit the f*** down at some point This season.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Dan Hakstok is a veterans coach.

There I fixed that for you.

That or Giroux told Sanhiem to sit the **** down at some point This season.

Being a players' coach doesn't mean coddling kids who aren't producing.

The kids who had their minutes curtailed: Sanheim (brain dead), Laughton (bad defense in his D-zone), Leier (midget lacking offensive skills).

Every other kid got plenty of PT, Lindblom was instantly the 2LW, Patrick played 16+ minutes toward the end of the season at 19, Provorov let the team in minutes, Ghost played 20+ minutes a night, TK was on the first line (where advanced stats suggest he was the weak link).

Notice most of the so=called favorites get ejected each post-season, but until now Ron has replaced them with similar scrubs.
Slowly marinating prospects is Ron's philosophy.
This is the first off-season where Ron hasn't brought in a Umberger, White, Filppula, Lehtera, PEB, VdV, etc. to fill out the bottom six, or Schultz, Manning, etc. for the bottom four.
That's because we finally have enough prospects to fill out the bottom of the roster.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Being a players' coach doesn't mean coddling kids who aren't producing.

The kids who had their minutes curtailed: Sanheim (brain dead), Laughton (bad defense in his D-zone), Leier (midget lacking offensive skills).

Every other kid got plenty of PT, Lindblom was instantly the 2LW, Patrick played 16+ minutes toward the end of the season at 19, Provorov let the team in minutes, Ghost played 20+ minutes a night, TK was on the first line (where advanced stats suggest he was the weak link).

Notice most of the so=called favorites get ejected each post-season, but until now Ron has replaced them with similar scrubs.
Slowly marinating prospects is Ron's philosophy.
This is the first off-season where Ron hasn't brought in a Umberger, White, Filppula, Lehtera, PEB, VdV, etc. to fill out the bottom six, or Schultz, Manning, etc. for the bottom four.
That's because we finally have enough prospects to fill out the bottom of the roster.
So Dead, what would you have done differently this past season compared to Hak?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I dont see the Flyers winning a playoff series with Hakstol...hes just too easy to out coach. So even if they improve their point totals...eventually 1st round losses will be unacceptable.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Dead, what would you have done differently this past season compared to Hak?

Had Ron get me some better players. Seriously, that was a pretty bad roster last year.

Until Patrick started playing better around February, Flyers had one top 9 caliber center.
Sanheim wasn't ready, Gudas lost his mojo, Morin blew out his knee.
When Neuvirth went down, Lyon just didn't look ready, Stolarz was injured.

I would have kept TK on the first line in the playoffs, put Raffl at 2LW when Lindblom went belly up. Go with Laughton - Filppula - Simmonds as the 3rd line, and played the 4th line (Weal - Lehtera - Weise?) as little as possible.

But options were limited during the regular season. Especially before Lindblom came up, Patrick could skate and Sanheim returned. People forget how bad Patrick played the first half of the season, why Raffl was promoted from the 4th line, the Gudas 10 game suspension, Simmonds struggling, etc. The lines didn't jell until Lindblom joined Patrick and Voracek (and moving your 2nd best scorer off the 1st line for an erratic 2nd year winger was a gutsy move). And you still had Raffl - Filppula - Simmonds as your 3rd line.

Manning was a better offensive player than Sanheim (outscored him 5x5 by a wide margin), Hagg was far more physical, so whomever you played, pretty much the same result, we had too many bottom six defensemen playing too many minutes. Sanheim may be good someday, but not last year (looking forward to seeing him in camp, did he spend his summer adding strength and developing an edge or is he still a Ghost wannabee without the same level of skill?).

What makes me optimistic this season, other than the hole at 3C (crosses fingers and sends Frost a Charles Atlas ad), is that there is far more depth than last season, guys who were getting their feet wet have some experience.
Frost and Myers could solve a lot of issues, Frost as 3C and Myers as the 3rd pair RHD with MacDonald/Hagg and the other to the press box.

Reactions: Norze and Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad