HqqzeUb.jpg

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

This 100%!!

I was just having a convo about this the other day. I really enjoy listening to Kapler because he is such a refreshing contrast from Hakstol. Hakstol believes in the old school I am going to be cold and punish you when you screw up mentality...while Kapler will find something positive to say about his guy even after an awful game. I am a big fan of the Kapler approach (even if hes a bit over the top about it) and I really hate the way Hak has handles his players. You want your players to be happy and confident but also understand their role and how to get better. Kapler, Brown, and Pederson all seem to provide that for their players while Hakstol is the exact opposite. Kapler says over and over that he wants his players in a position to succeed and my biggest issue with Hakstol is that he doesnt do that for his players.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, none of you have a clue what Hakstol is like, other than what you see on the bench on TV.

The fact that you're not getting the backstabbing criticisms you commonly get from teams unhappy with the coach, suggests that most of you are way off the mark. We had a couple comments from young players over a year ago, and then said young players went out and did what the coach asked of them - Ghost's play last year was night and day from the year before in terms of playing 200 feet and being more careful with the puck, even using the body at times.

You think Voracek is worried about being benched if he criticizes the coach?
And players have ways of leaking their unhappiness with the always popular "unnamed source in the locker room."

Last year, despite serious adversity, this team never gave up.
How many teams lose both their starting goalies and still make the playoffs?
That doesn't sound like a coach who has lost his team.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Actually, none of you have a clue what Hakstol is like, other than what you see on the bench on TV.

The fact that you're not getting the backstabbing criticisms you commonly get from teams unhappy with the coach, suggests that most of you are way off the mark. We had a couple comments from young players over a year ago, and then said young players went out and did what the coach asked of them - Ghost's play last year was night and day from the year before in terms of playing 200 feet and being more careful with the puck, even using the body at times.

And players have ways of leaking their unhappiness with the always popular "unnamed source in the locker room."

I...would actually agree with this. A portent of the coming apocalypse no doubt.

We really dont know what Hak is like behind closed doors and we have no real indication that most or all of the lockerroom has tuned him out.

Of course this is the same lockerroom that willingly gave Andrew "6 yr contract but it feels like an eternity" MacDonald an A and praises Hagg to death.

This team loves vanilla. It wants it injected directly into its bloodstream.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I...would actually agree with this. A portent of the coming apocalypse no doubt.

We really dont know what Hak is like behind closed doors and we have no real indication that most or all of the lockerroom has tuned him out.

Of course this is the same lockerroom that willingly gave Andrew "6 yr contract but it feels like an eternity" MacDonald an A and praises Hagg to death.

This team loves vanilla. It wants it injected directly into its bloodstream.
MacDonald having the A means nothing, since the players who get that do so based on personality, not performance. All it means is he’s popular among the players.

As for the rest of it, we don’t know how Hakstol is, but we have enough clues to know there’s some problems. Enough players have criticized him to make it clear he isn’t much of a leader and is a horrible teacher. We’re lucky that our players are extremely talented and could continue improving on their own because clearly the coach isn’t helping with that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacDonald having the A means nothing, since the players who get that do so based on personality, not performance. All it means is he’s popular among the players.

As for the rest of it, we don’t know how Hakstol is, but we have enough clues to know there’s some problems. Enough players have criticized him to make it clear he isn’t much of a leader and is a horrible teacher. We’re lucky that our players are extremely talented and could continue improving on their own because clearly the coach isn’t helping with that.

Really? Sources. As usual, you're pulling stuff out of thin air.
There were a couple comments over a year ago, since then ???
But that doesn't fit your narrative, so you make things up.

Our players are extremely talented?

You have Giroux with two great seasons and one good season in the last five
Couts who was a 2nd, 8th, 9th Selke over five years
Voracek who had one great season (2014-15), and otherwise wasn't consider a top RW
Ghost who was 16th, and 10th in the Norris voting over 3 years

That's it - "extremely talented" should mean top ten in the league on a regular basis.
We have one player who qualifies.

Awards voting:
2017-18
Hart, Giroux 4th
2017-18 Norris, Ghost 10th
2017-18 Selke, Couts 2nd, Giroux tied for 16th
Allstar team:
LW Giroux 2nd
RW Voracek 9th
D Ghost 9th
2016-17 Selke Giroux 38th, Couts 47th, PEB tied for 48th with 8 players
No allstar team votes
2015-16 Hart, Giroux 16th
2015-16 Norris, Ghost tied for 16th
2015-16 Selke, Couts 8th, Giroux 28th
Allstar team:
G Mason 11th
D Ghost 16th
RW Simmonds 10th
2014-15 Selke Couts 30th
Allstar team:
G Mason 6th
RW Voracek 1st
2013-14 Hart, Giroux 3rd
2013-14 Selke, Couts 9th
Allstar team:
C Giroux 3rd

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Ghost and TK is a chicken/egg argument. I would argue their success last season was more a result of both of them getting an opportunity to succeed rather than being scratched, benched, or forced to play with inferior players. As soon as TK was put on the top line, he flourished. As soon as Ghost was healthy and put on the top pairing, he flourished. You can try to say all of Haks tough love the year before is the reason for their success...but I think its pretty obvious those players just needed a chance. Kapler would have had those guys in those positions from the start and dealt with and struggles that may have came up...I think that is the better approach. Again I think positive reinforcement is a more effective motivator these days than negative. Put the kids in a position to succeed and you will see results. We cant see Hak behind closed doors, but anyone can see Hak has a much different philosophy to dealing with players than a Kapler or a Pederson.

And I wouldnt call last season "serious adversity". They did not lose G, Couts, or Provy for extended time. Elliott and Neuvy was more of and inconvenience...its not like either one of those guys were an elite goalie that carried the team. You also cant forget the 10 game losing streak...which should never happen in the first place...and being stomped on in the playoffs.

I dont think Hak has lost the room...I think he had until the players realized he wasnt going to be fired, so they learned to make it work. What you dont see though are any obvious signs that they like him...which you do see from the other teams in town.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Put a kid in a position to succeed and half will go belly up.
Drouin has had plenty of chances and he's still a mess.

Some players don't need hard coaching, Provorov, Couts, Patrick.
Some players need to be pushed to play a two way game, it's more fun to skate, pass and shoot, than back check, forecheck, and chase the puck into corners.

Ghost was a completely different player in his third season, and given it was his third season, playing time was not the reason - it was Ghost accepting that to be a top NHL player, he had to be more than an one dimensional player. The difference was obvious, he played defense last year, and stopped forcing plays and turning the puck over with no one behind him.

TK plays out of control, he's gotten better, but he still has a way to go, it's not about "taking chances," it's about developing the ice sense to know which chances are worth taking. Playing with Couts helps him like every other forward who plays with Couts, because Couts covers their butt defensively. But the fact that TK is a mediocre player away from Couts says he's a long way from being a top NHL player - because one of the attributes of a top player is he makes his linemates better - or why Schenn is in St Louis. Voracek, for all his flaws, is still a better forward than TK.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Put a kid in a position to succeed and half will go belly up.
Drouin has had plenty of chances and he's still a mess.

Some players don't need hard coaching, Provorov, Couts, Patrick.
Some players need to be pushed to play a two way game, it's more fun to skate, pass and shoot, than back check, forecheck, and chase the puck into corners.

Ghost was a completely different player in his third season, and given it was his third season, playing time was not the reason - it was Ghost accepting that to be a top NHL player, he had to be more than an one dimensional player. The difference was obvious, he played defense last year, and stopped forcing plays and turning the puck over with no one behind him.

TK plays out of control, he's gotten better, but he still has a way to go, it's not about "taking chances," it's about developing the ice sense to know which chances are worth taking. Playing with Couts helps him like every other forward who plays with Couts, because Couts covers their butt defensively. But the fact that TK is a mediocre player away from Couts says he's a long way from being a top NHL player - because one of the attributes of a top player is he makes his linemates better - or why Schenn is in St Louis. Voracek, for all his flaws, is still a better forward than TK.

Yeah...but TK and Ghost are two players that we want to skate, pass, and shoot. I am not saying playing a 2-way game isnt important...I am just against taking pure offensive talents and crushing their offensive game and confidence to get them there.

Not every kid is going to be a perfect all around player. Guys like Coots are rare. It is like if a kid in school is a gifted writer but struggles at math. A coach like Kapler would have that kid keep writing while he helps him with math on the side. Hakstol would tell that kid to stop writing, give him detention, and make the kid only focus on math. Under Kapler the kid would be confident, happy, and reach his potential as a writer while being respectable at math. The Hakstol approach would have that kid feeling miserable and unmotivated to reach his potential in either.

My point goes back to that tweet about emotional intelligence in coaches. Part of that is understanding that every player is different. Hextall and Hakstol hold the same standard for every player which is the wrong approach IMO. They are the dinosaurs that think standard tests are accurate assessments of a kids intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad