Dave Hakstol Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I have a feeling that Hakstol will be fired before christmas.

Would be top 3 christmas presents i’ve ever has

“I’m a pretty patient guy,” said general manager Ron Hextall, in his fifth year at the helm, “but things need to start going better here.
“You look at our team on paper and we’ve got a pretty good team, but paper doesn’t mean a whole lot. We need to play better.”

This has GOT to mean he's looking at the coach. There's no other interpretation.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
I have a feeling that Hakstol will be fired before christmas.

Would be top 3 christmas presents i’ve ever has

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“I’m a pretty patient guy,” said general manager Ron Hextall, in his fifth year at the helm, “but things need to start going better here.
“You look at our team on paper and we’ve got a pretty good team, but paper doesn’t mean a whole lot. We need to play better.”

This has GOT to mean he's looking at the coach. There's no other interpretation.

It also means he's looking at veteran players, when a team underperforms, GMs look at the players who should be carrying the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well considering on our roster we have:

Weise
Lehtera
Knight
Weal
AMac
Elliott
Neuvirth
Pickard

....maybe that's exactly what we should be doing too.

But it's not an accident that Pittsburgh waited until half-way through the season to call up young players.
They did the same the next year with Guentzel.

I said before the season the team in April may look nothing like the team in October.
Pittsburgh picked up 3 players at the TDL and called up 4 players.

But it's not as simple as dump everyone, if you want value for Simmonds for example, you have to play him enough to make him interesting to other teams, you have to put Voracek in a position to score points, you have to show that MacDonald is healthy (uh, forget that), etc. Otherwise you'd be fire selling guys and getting pennies on the dollar.

Lehera, Weise, Knight, Folin are placeholders, and their minutes reflect that, they're not blocking anyone, as soon as Hextall feels comfortable promoting someone, they're gone - Vorobyev benched himself, he was handed the 3C job on a silver platter.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

It's the players when he said he's looking around.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The ongoing goaltending troubles is almost as shocking as Hextall's nod of approval for his failed coaching staff.
I thought, in as much as Hextall's former job with this franchise was goaltending, that he would repair that deficiency first. I know it takes time to prepare a drafted goalie for the NHL, but Hextall's choices for placeholders has been an absolute disaster. Currently he has nothing but back up goalies on his current roster. This team is constantly marred with the fact that they don't have a player between the pipes who they can build confidence when they play. They usually give up the first goal in games this season, so they are constantly behind on the scoreboard.
That head coach, who is about as comforting as an undertakers mute, does nothing to inspire his team to perform. When they're behind he usually puts his 4th line players on the ice (the Lethera line), and they usually give up a second goal, thus putting a comeback behind and momentum is only found within the teams supporters.
Hextall's job should be on the line as much as that lousy college coach. The management decisions for this this team is abysmal, yet since it's ran like a country club, Hextall will be as protected as the horrible previous GM.
The Flyers organisation need to sack most of the coaching staff (sorry Lappy, you're a good bloke, but your PK is horrible), and hire one of the unemployed NHL coaches who are available for the remainder of the season. If they show an improvement, offer a slight extension to the contract.
During the off season, replace Hextall, not by awarding him an upstairs job like they did with Clarke and Holmgren, sack him. They will never break their trend if they keep stockpiling failed GM's in the organisation.

Reactions: JPS

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Last time we got into the "it's the players" territory was under Stevens. We went out and bought him a roster and they still didn't look good.

Yes, we have some dead weight on our roster but I like to think of the few vs the many phenomena - is it more likely that a lot of professional hockey players suck or one coach?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Last time we got into the "it's the players" territory was under Stevens. We went out and bought him a roster and they still didn't look good.

Yes, we have some dead weight on our roster but I like to think of the few vs the many phenomena - is it more likely that a lot of professional hockey players suck or one coach?

The we got rid of him and did much better.

Our roster is good. Our coach is bad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It’s dead weight because they choose not to optimize the roster. Instead we get this college mentality where your depth players lack higher-end talent and only do one or two specific things correctly.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The we got rid of him and did much better.

Our roster is good. Our coach is bad.

This so much. We have a good, when healthy and when dead weight is dropped (only a couple players), top to bottom roster up front. Change the coaching staff (maybe outside of Knob), get rid of Lehtera and Weal and bring in some younger, faster forwards and then bring up Myers and Friedman over AMac and Folin and I think we'd be stellar.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This so much. We have a good, when healthy and when dead weight is dropped (only a couple players), top to bottom roster up front. Change the coaching staff (maybe outside of Knob), get rid of Lehtera and Weal and bring in some younger, faster forwards and then bring up Myers and Friedman over AMac and Folin and I think we'd be stellar.
There’s little question about it. If everyone in our division would be threatened by those moves than they are probably things we should be doing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Which is what will happen by the end of the year.

Hextall gave players like Myers, Friedman, NAK, Twarynski and Rubtsov a long look in preseason - it wasn't like Frost or Ratcliffe who he knew he was sending back to juniors. And I'm sure he's keeping a close eye on them in LHV.
If they were ready, they'd be playing, if he could give Vorobyev the 3C and Knight the 4C he wasn't wedded to Lehtera and Weise.

Reactions: hatcher

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
It’s dead weight because they choose not to optimize the roster. Instead we get this college mentality where your depth players lack higher-end talent and only do one or two specific things correctly.

Yup, exactly. The dead weight on the roster is there by choice. We have other options despite what some posters on here will tell you

tenor.gif

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

I bet other teams laugh at us when we match AMac against Crosby or have rookies sit in the press box while Lehtera and Weise skate at geriatric pace

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That is true, but at least one should be up, and I think that should be Myers. Have AMac be the 7th and send down Folin. At least that can work for now.

Folin is playing well, what makes you think Myers would be any better right now?
The problem on this team isn't Folin, Lehtera or Weise, all of who are playing well above expectations, but the goalies, Provorov (MacDonald for 5 games) and the veteran forwards.
You can't blame the scapegoats this year, other than MacDonald, by any measure they've been solid.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Folin is playing well, what makes you think Myers would be any better right now?
The problem on this team isn't Folin, Lehtera or Weise, all of who are playing well above expectations, but the goalies, Provorov (MacDonald for 5 games) and the veteran forwards.
You can't blame the scapegoats this year, other than MacDonald, by any measure they've been solid.

Folin is playing well, Myers isn't ready, NAK isn't ready, Weal is fast, Lehtera isn't terrible but Voracek sucks?

Do you even believe yourself?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Folin falls all over the ice on his own. Playing him is like playing hot potato with a live grenade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad