Dave Hakstol making no lineup changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
At the same time though, couldn't it just be viewed as your coach is confident in his team and he believes they can win? 7-0 probably won't happen again. I just can't see what move he would make that would actually impact the team at all.

The Penguins have scored at least 5 goals in every game against the Flyers this year, so if Hakstol is banking on things magically working out without any adjustment he's really stupid.

he is very stupid

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Penguins have scored at least 5 goals in every game against the Flyers this year, so if Hakstol is banking on things magically working out without any adjustment he's really stupid.

he is very stupid

giphy.gif

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You have a team that scored over5 goals a game on you and make no adjustments to the lineup. If this was Lavi, I’d say maybe he will figure out system adjustments etc. Hak has no clue.

For those who don’t know Haksotl did well at UND interms of playoffs qualification. He went to to the frozen four many times. Never won once. He leaves for the flyers and UND win the championship the first season he was gone...

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You have a team that scored over5 goals a game on you and make no adjustments to the lineup. If this was Lavi, I’d say maybe he will figure out system adjustments etc. Hak has no clue.

For those who don’t know Haksotl did well at UND interms of playoffs qualification. He went to to the frozen four many times. Never won once. He leaves for the flyers and UND win the championship the first season he was gone...

So good enough to get to the dance on the backs on his talented players but no more . . .

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
If he was smart, he'd split up Provorov and Gostisbehere.

They have similar finesse styles that don't necessarily focus on defense first. Two-way defenders are good, but against Crosby and Malkin you need at least one stay-at-home defenseman on each pairing.

But Hakstol...In a much more real sense, as a Penguins fan, please stick with the lineups you have.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

They have similar finesse styles that don't necessarily focus on defense first. Two-way defenders are good, but against Crosby and Malkin you need at least one stay-at-home defenseman on each pairing.

But Hakstol...In a much more real sense, as a Penguins fan, please stick with the lineups you have.

Huh? I'd say Provorov's defensive game is his strong suit....

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Aside from goaltending, is there really any changes to be made? I'm pretty sure this group is the Flyers best 18 skaters except for maybe adding a young defender in, but I doubt adding a guy like Hagg is going to stabilize the defense at all.

And even at goaltending, Elliott is the goalie that got you here for 80% of the season. I think he deserves another chance in a game where the Flyers were just absolutely atrocious.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Aside from goaltending, is there really any changes to be made? I'm pretty sure this group is the Flyers best 18 skaters except for maybe adding a young defender in, but I doubt adding a guy like Hagg is going to stabilize the defense at all.

And even at goaltending, Elliott is the goalie that got you here for 80% of the season. I think he deserves another chance in a game where the Flyers were just absolutely atrocious.

I'm not sure the Flyers wouldn't be better off moving Giroux to center.

Asking two of Patrick and Filpula to match up against Malkin and Brassard is pretty rough.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Not sure what he can do.Very strange game,everything Pittsburgh touched went in and everything Philly did went wrong.I don't expect the series to go like Game 1.
I'm not saying i expect Philly will win this series as much as I'd love to see it.It's a little to early to full on panic.

slapsht25

Aug 3, 2005
hack is so disconnected with reality, the talent got them to the playoffs in spite of the coach, now we can see how well he coaches

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Has Hakstol made any changes to lines/match ups in the 5 games against the Pens this year? I thought he'd switched some of the line match ups, but could be wrong.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
There are 170 pages at Flyers boards on "Fire Hakstol" thread. over 90% of HF Flyers want him fired (according to poll we had like month or so ago) No surprises to anyone here. He's total idiot who makes games harder for players to win.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why was Konecny taken off the 1st line anyway? Wasn't he better there than Raffl? Raffl wasn't even there when he was healthy for portions of the season.
It was his attempt at matching up against the Pens depth, to add more depth in his bottom 6 for scoring.

Or so that's what we were told during the game. I mean on one hand, they can go back to that and stack that 1st line, but then that bottom 6 is going to have a horrendous time matching against virtually any line.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Has Hakstol made any changes to lines/match ups in the 5 games against the Pens this year? I thought he'd switched some of the line match ups, but could be wrong.
It appeard that he did matchup Couts with Crosby or Malkin after previously matching Filppula. He makes a lot of changes after saying everything is fine and then getting a lot of questions backed with data on why he chose to stick with said option. One game Filppula was outshot something like 19-2 and outscored 3-0 against Crosby’s line. Take that matchup out and the flyers win.

Game 1 the top flyer line with Couts was dreadful and that’s an anaomly. They should be able to be better.

There aren’t a lot of good options for the flyers if they continue to run their two best centers on the same line and Patrick isn’t ready. Patrick seems to be the kind to feel his way out before really going so I imagine he will be better even in game 2. Having Couts, G, Patrick could be their best option but it’s not a great one. The flyers are probably 2 years away from being able to contain the pens with Couts doing well, Patrick taking a big step forward, Frost making the third line a big threat and plenty of options at the fourth C. Add to that the up and coming D we could have top 5 center, D, and wingers with Hart looking like the real deal. Makes it even more important to get rid of Hakstol and get a real coach found and in by then which isn’t easy. The continuous influx of talent could keep Hak in the job and may cost us a year or two of cup contender years.

Reactions: Peat

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

The issue becomes, what guy do you put into the top pairing? Gudas? AMac? Manning?

None are good matchups.

Reality is, our top players out scored our issues with depth, defence, goaltending, and coaching all year. Against lesser teams, that's easier to do. Against the 2 time defending champs with better depth, speed, defense, goaltending and coaching....not so much.

Most Flyers fans knew Pitt was the worst matchup, because we don't have an edge in any of those departments. Against other teams, there might be a few where we do. But as I said before the series started, this series will be good for Hextall to see just how far away the team is to get to championship level. Plus for Provy, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim, it was their 1st playoff game. Experience does matter.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hakstol is Bylsmaing it up over there something awful.

Please tell me he'll talk about "getting to our game" after the morning skate.

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
The issue becomes, what guy do you put into the top pairing? Gudas? AMac? Manning?

None are good matchups.

Reality is, our top players out scored our issues with depth, defence, goaltending, and coaching all year. Against lesser teams, that's easier to do. Against the 2 time defending champs with better depth, speed, defense, goaltending and coaching....not so much.

Most Flyers fans knew Pitt was the worst matchup, because we don't have an edge in any of those departments. Against other teams, there might be a few where we do. But as I said before the series started, this series will be good for Hextall to see just how far away the team is to get to championship level. Plus for Provy, Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim, it was their 1st playoff game. Experience does matter.

I definitely agree. But as a coach, you can't just sit there and not try to shake things up. 27 goals against in 5 games vs the Pens this year. Try something different. Try anything different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad