The Sun: Dave Bolland Effect

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thought this was a great article written by Longley.

Basically it sums up players should not be only measured by just points. Bolland's intangibles, yes, that word are immeasurable. Have a read.

“He practises like a pro. He’s trying to make himself better every day. Some of our young players could take notice of that and we’ve talked to them about it. Just to take notice of how he approaches practice and how intense he is and the level of commitment he puts in.

“It’s guys like David Bolland that sell your program and help coaches in leading by example and showing the way. Those are very, very important intangibles that happen within the team.”

By all accounts thus far in the young season, Bolland’s new teammates have done a fine job of putting their own Boston experience behind them. And the more they win games like Saturday’s — as anti-Carlyle as the hockey was for much of the night — the more they feed off a player like the gritty new centre among them.

He may have been minus-1 on the night an only managed two shots on goal, but when he banged home that big Cody Franson rebound to raise the ACC roof, it more importantly showed how Bolland is rubbing off on his teammates.

In all but one of their five wins this season, the Leafs have trailed at least once during the game. They are far from playing their best hockey yet, but are the top team in the Eastern Conference. And as Carlyle suggests, the intangible of adding a Bolland can be measured in so many ways, even if he will live in the shadow, offensively anyway, of Phil Kessel, Lupul and James van Riemsdyk.

Complete article here:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/12/leafs-bolland-leading-by-example

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
You can tell who doesn't watch hockey other than leaf games when you see people calling him a plug before the season started.

And McClement "Dupuis 2.0" the year before.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
In all but one of their five wins this season, the Leafs have trailed at least once during the game. They are far from playing their best hockey yet, but are the top team in the Eastern Conference. And as Carlyle suggests, the intangible of adding a Bolland can be measured in so many ways, even if he will live in the shadow, offensively anyway, of Phil Kessel, Lupul and James van Riemsdyk.

That is great. We've been through a lot of adversity to start the season...Clarkson out for 10 games, Kulemin injured, Fraser injured, and we've also battled in game to make sure we come out with a W.

Trailing in 4 of our wins and coming out with a win is very impressive. I can't wait till we're icing a healthy roster.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Guys like Bolland, McClement and Clarkson are guys you need on your team to win a cup. I like where this team is heading.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Even more simplistic would be for someone to post the guy he replaced has one more point than him this season, and we are worse off with Bolland.

This is why I have a problem with analytics, so called possession stats, defensive zone starts. Bolland for anyone who has watched the Leafs this year is a major reason why we are 5-1, and as the article states it's what he does in practice, what he sells to our younger players.

The clutch goals are obvious, but at times that word intangibles does come to play.

You can tell why some players winning follows them from organization to organization. It's no fluke why Bolland is a winner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Even more simplistic would be for someone to post the guy he replaced has one more point than him this season, and we are worse off with Bolland.

This is why I have a problem with analytics, so called possession stats, defensive zone starts. Bolland for anyone who has watched the Leafs this year is a major reason why we are 5-1, and as the article states it's what he does in practice, what he sells to our younger players.

The clutch goals are obvious, but at times that word intangibles does come to play.

You can tell why some players winning follows them from organization to organization. It's no fluke why Bolland is a winner.

Heh, well Grabo had a monster game in the season opener, but has followed up with 1 point in the past 4 or 5. Give me Bolland any day.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Heh, well Grabo had a monster game in the season opener, but has followed up with 1 point in the past 4 or 5. Give me Bolland any day.

If you watched hockey, you'd know that Grabo has played quite well, despite the numbers. The irony of your post, and this particular topic, is hilarious.

MrLegend28*

I love when people bring up analytic, as if to say if we were playing boston or detroit or any team with talent last night we would of won. Its also called sample size (1 game). Dont think this is some "hard work never quit" ****, its called Edmonton has AWFUL defense and goaltending. nothing more, nothing less.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you watched hockey, you'd know that Grabo has played quite well, despite the numbers. The irony of your post, and this particular topic, is hilarious.

Grabo always "looks" like he's playing well. Swift skater, high energy, great puckhandling, never shies away from the physical play, back checks hard, goes to the net, etc. Sounds great on paper but something's missing. Looks like we replaced a lot of his game in Mason Raymond on a PTO and a cheap discount contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I love when people bring up analytic, as if to say if we were playing boston or detroit or any team with talent last night we would of won. Its also called sample size (1 game). Dont think this is some "hard work never quit" ****, its called Edmonton has AWFUL defense and goaltending. nothing more, nothing less.

What's sample size got to do with anything? We played like junk and won the game. We don't always play like junk, we don't always win undeservedly, so just enjoy it... We've played 6 games, won 5 of them and Bolland has 2 game winners. Good enough for me.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Bolland is vastly superior to Grabo in every area of the game....we are so lucky to have a GM who was proactive in trading for Bolland, as he approach Chicago before anyone else did. Nonis knew that Bolland was a player we needed to plug up a glaring weakness of a shut down Center. Grabo proved that he could not play in this role and lost his number 2 role to Kadri. I said many times that Bolland was our Key addition this year, and so many on here stated that he was washed up and ineffective, and he would not get resigned. Bolland is a must resign.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we have a 3 goal lead in game 7, how about throwing Bolland, Raymond and then Mcclement and Kule with Bozak in there too for the last 10 mins of the game? Think we have this covered this year, as long as everyone stays healthy. You simply need these type of intangible players to win.

Agree with everyone, Mcclement is terrific security blanket. Think Clarkson is going to be also. He was used by Deboer in final mins of games.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Grabo always "looks" like he's playing well. Swift skater, high energy, great puckhandling, never shies away from the physical play, back checks hard, goes to the net, etc. Sounds great on paper but something's missing. Looks like we replaced a lot of his game in Mason Raymond on a PTO and a cheap discount contract.

What you just did, is describe a player who brings effort, and plays well, on a night-to-night basis. I see no fault in a player like that. Mason Raymond fears the contact Grabo endures nightly. Don't kid yourself.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What you just did, is describe a player who brings effort, and plays well, on a night-to-night basis. I see no fault in a player like that. Mason Raymond fears the contact Grabo endures nightly. Don't kid yourself.

Bolland is in Grabo's role......and we are so much better for it...Raymond is just a very cheap bonus of a player who does a lot of what Grabo did....minus the giveaways at a vast discount.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Bolland is in Grabo's role......and we are so much better for it...Raymond is just a very cheap bonus of a player who does a lot of what Grabo did....minus the giveaways at a vast discount.

That's not Grabo's role. Your first mistake was in your first sentence. Raymond is a soft, offensive winger. He and Grabo are nothing alike.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Grabo took a beating on nights when he really didn't have to...

I remember the Bruins in a regular season game last season...they were out of it, Grabovski ends up acting all tough and mighty, gets hit on his arse, the Bruins come back and win the game.

He took needless hits because he never accomplished anything at all with all the useless cycling he did.

What's the point of it all if you can't make a simple pass to your teammates? All he ever was, was a "me" kind of guy.

It's nice to replace that M with a W.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What you just did, is describe a player who brings effort, and plays well, on a night-to-night basis.

Grabo is a style and no substance player. Why does he lack substance? Because he's not intelligent and can't direct his energy and skills to doing more useful things.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Grabo is a style and no substance player. Why does he lack substance? Because he's not intelligent and can't direct his energy and skills to doing more useful things.

And that's probably why he's on this message board, and not in the NH......wait....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's not Grabo's role. Your first mistake was in your first sentence. Raymond is a soft, offensive winger. He and Grabo are nothing alike.

Mason Raymond basically replicates Grabo's best traits, good skating, ability to handle the puck at a high tempo and go to the net mentality. What's better is we don't have to count on him for centerman responsibilities, and he doesn't take a beating like Grabovski does.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It's not even a discussion who is more valuable<Bolland

Again the article points to a player that young players look up to, when you become a Carlyle favourite you are a positive influence on the ice, in practice, and in the room.

A very nice addition, this guy is becoming invaluable to us. Not sure how we re-sign him but Nonis has had that covered well this year.

Hard to argue one guy is 5-1 and the other is 1-4 thus far this season.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I made no mistake at all.....Grabo was used as our 3rd line center....a shut down role....Bolland is now in that role....and is doing a fantastic job at it.

Raymond is a player who we are paying 1 million.....and he is playing against the other teams top lines and doing this very well....he also manages the puck a whole lot better then Grabo ever did. At a savings of 4.5M I would take Raymond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad