The Sun: Dave Bolland Effect

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I honestly think you go the year before that - if we had Bolland, Clarkson etc - do we (ugh...i can't believe i'm using the term) we would have 18-Wheelered it?

I think at times the fans (and the media) forget how young our team is. I think as of right now the oldest guy on the team is McClement at 30. (Grandpa Liles is what? 32 and not even on the team anymore). so I think it is amazing that we're getting really good leadership and they are still under the age of 30.

I think to keep Bolland - we make the playoffs. end of story (I don't think it matters HOW we make it, ie -guaranteed spot/wildcard) but if we make the playoffs, I feel he won't go back to Chicago (imo the only other team he'd probably go to - he doesn't seem to me like a guy who goes where the money goes, he'll go what makes sense to his family).

but having Bolland here makes me a happy panda.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I honestly think you go the year before that - if we had Bolland, Clarkson etc - do we (ugh...i can't believe i'm using the term) we would have 18-Wheelered it?

I think at times the fans (and the media) forget how young our team is. I think as of right now the oldest guy on the team is McClement at 30. (Grandpa Liles is what? 32 and not even on the team anymore). so I think it is amazing that we're getting really good leadership and they are still under the age of 30.

I think to keep Bolland - we make the playoffs. end of story (I don't think it matters HOW we make it, ie -guaranteed spot/wildcard) but if we make the playoffs, I feel he won't go back to Chicago (imo the only other team he'd probably go to - he doesn't seem to me like a guy who goes where the money goes, he'll go what makes sense to his family).

but having Bolland here makes me a happy panda.

That made me smile, me happy too with Bolland.

What I didn't know about him that the article mentions is he is so dedicated in practice, he's a pro and this can only rub off on our young players like Kadri.

Great trade/signing in one of many by Nonis this summer.

Hope we get him extended at the home Bozak team discount.

mikebel111*

Absolutely love this guy. Much much better than grabo. Bolland is a guy u have on the ice in last minute of game 7

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i'm willing to bet bolland and mcclement get re-signed in January. nonis knows how important these players are to carlyle and the team and will get them signed way before free agency hits. nonis isn't stupid enough to let them slip. signed lupul around the same time as well.

Phaneuf somewhere around november/december.

raymond/kulemin/ranger probably right before free agency and depending on their play in the season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I love the offseason moves. These guys are exactly what this team needs to progress in the playoffs. Had we had Bolland and Clarkson last year I guarantee that we wouldn't have folded in the last 11 minutes + OT of game 7. These guys are huge acquisitions. I can't wait to see the game that Clarkson will bring to the table because he's likely to be even more effective than Bolland, which would be amazing. Gritty players like these are what we need. Hopefully the injuries stop piling up and we can see what our full roster can do.

Go Leafs Go!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He's definitely the kind of guy you need when it comes to getting the job done. Played great and I'm certainly glad we added him to the group.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I really hope we can resign this guy.

He seems to enjoy it here, so hopefully he takes a discount, but seeing as no one else has, there's no reason for him to.

Maybe him and McClement will be the first discounters (ees?)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Bolland is kind of like Kessel in his interviews. He doesn't like the spotlight much...he even said that he hoped Franson scored that OT goal...we did kind of luck out there that the rebound came right to Bolland and he didn't over skate. Smart player.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bolland is better than Grabo in every facet for what the Leafs team needs are. I don't understand how people argue against that and I love Grabo. He had no place on this team however.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Bolland can keep up the same type play and the Leafs have success from it, would Nonis trading for him go down as one of the best trades in Leafs history like the Gilmour, Sundin, Phaneuf, and Lupul/Gardiner trades?

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
You can tell who doesn't watch hockey other than leaf games when you see people calling him a plug before the season started.

And McClement "Dupuis 2.0" the year before.

Welcome to HF where signings and trades are frowned upon and playing your prospects even if their not ready or not good enough is good management.

Seriously imagine Joe "future #1C" in Bollands spot or Ashton and D'Amigo(permanently) in Clarksons spot?

Bolland, McClement and Clarkson are the heart of this team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Welcome to HF where signings and trades are frowned upon and playing your prospects even if their not ready or not good enough is good management.

Seriously imagine Joe "future #1C" in Bollands spot or Ashton and D'Amigo(permanently) in Clarksons spot?

People are just enamoured with points. If Kessel scored 8 points and we still lost, they will think of the game as a victory because Kessel scored 8 points...they won't see the fact that the Leafs allowed 9 goals and lost.

When you don't have a #1C, you have to use players that do everything a #1C does besides give you that PPG...

Does Bozak not do everything a #1C usually would do without providing PPG? #1C's are good defensively, play on the PK, take every important faceoff and put up ~70+ points.

Bozak gets crapped on because people expect him to put up points he is not capable of doing. That doesn't mean he's garbage or he's overpaid.

Same way with Bolland. If you don't score points, you're useless.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I felt like what he lacked most last year, is a heart and soul proven winner type of player, and we definitely got that in Bolland.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Loving the addition so far.

He's surprisingly humble and soft spoken. I would have never guessed that about him considering he's the same guy that called the Sedins sisters and retweeted a fan who said something about killing Bettman.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Very true.

Buffalo has the team that all HF posters would love to have and would claim that they'll be a top team and all that crap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bolland is a great addition to the team and brings the kinds of intangibles the winning teams need and desire.

Bolland is a proven winner and he is proving that with the Leafs now.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
I hear he's from Mimico...is this information correct? If true you'd think they would talk about it more?

(Obligatory sarcasm acknowledgment for those who didn't pick up on it)

Has the fact the Blue Goose is awesome been brought up by Dave or anyone on tv yet? If not Mimico clearly hasn't been talked about enough yet! :p:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hear he's from Mimico...is this information correct? If true you'd think they would talk about it more?

(Obligatory sarcasm acknowledgment for those who didn't pick up on it)

I hate the fact that they keep saying Mimico...it's part of Toronto.

If you're going to say he's from Mimico, might as well give his home address with the postal code on air too.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I still can't believe we have Bolland.

On top of that we got Clarkson in fee agency.

I'm used to seeing guys like this end up somewhere else.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Guys like Bolland, McClement and Clarkson are guys you need on your team to win a cup. I like where this team is heading.

And Kulemin, the man is a work horse on and off the ice. If this team can get 100% healthy, we are in for a real treat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->