WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Mr. Reliable, David Bolland

Mr. Reliable, David Bolland

Raihan Hussain
10/13/2013
David Bolland was an asset that was closely observed by Toronto Maple Leafs management.When he scored the Stanley Cup winning goal, the allure was too much to resist for Dave Nonis who, according to his own narration, sent a text message to Chicago GM Stan Bowman immediately after the goal.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/1862-mr-reliable-david-bolland-

david%20bolland%202.jpg

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Love Bolland, one of my favourite bottom 6 centres in the league, shocked that we got him back in the summertime.

but he's the kind of piece you need to win a cup.

hopefully our defense can improve as we go along, as I see that as our only big hole holding us back from contention.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds like Bolland is enjoying playing in his hometown. Wonder what number he is looking for to stay with us?

Something I haven't thought about, comparables? All I know is I want this guy signed if he wants to be Leaf the next 5 years of his career.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't see Bolland getting a raise, unless of course he has a huge season points-wise, but I see him optimistically maxing out at around 40 points this season, which would be around his career average.

So what are comparables for 40 point 3rd line C's?

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Chris Kelly at 3M x 4 years seems like a perfect comparison. Playoff performer good for 30-40 points a year.

Tyler Kennedy just signed a 2 year deal worth 2.35 per year. He's younger than Kelly but also playoff proven.

Jarret Stoll at 3.25 for 3 years is also a similar player/deal you should expect. Peverly was signed to the same deal a couple of years ago as well.

Boyd Gordon who is good for about 15 points a season signing for 3X3 this summer kinda killed the market, though.

Martin Hanzal and Dainius Zubrus have a cap hit of 3.1.

Kyle Brodziak signed a 3 year deal worth 2.833 and is usually good for the lower part of the 30-40, but did hit 44 in his last full season.

In conclusion... expect a 4 year deal worth 2.8-3.3...depending on the season Bolland has.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
In the end, the Bolland trade will have a larger impact on the Leafs than acquiring Phaneuf did several years back.

Really hope to see Lupul or Bolland have the C in the near future.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
In conclusion... expect a 4 year deal worth 2.8-3.3...depending on the season Bolland has.

If Bolland stays healthy all year, there is pretty much no way he's getting less than four.

None of the comparables you listed are two time Cup winners who were the #1 shutdown centre for one of those teams and scored the winning goal for the other one.

And if he stays healthy, he's worth it

Tyler Biggs*

Bolland...another game winner!!!! Lots of scoring with this team as the GF stats prove that. Now get the defence in order and we have an awesome team!

Lots of haters showing up, mostly Hab and Sens fans. They have to be very very worried about the Leafs. Leafs are the youngest team in the NHL, yet they are 5-1 and are scoring a ton of goals. All this inspite of the fact they are missing some pretty good players, like Kulemin, Clarkson and Fraser.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Figures, Grabo doesn't even play for us and the one guy who non stopped bashed him makes a thread to bash him when it wasn't even necessary.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If Bolland stays healthy all year, there is pretty much no way he's getting less than four.

None of the comparables you listed are two time Cup winners who were the #1 shutdown centre for one of those teams and scored the winning goal for the other one.

He doesn't get the ice-time to justify 4+.

3.3 is at the high end of a reasonable projection.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Figures, Grabo doesn't even play for us and the one guy who non stopped bashed him makes a thread to bash him when it wasn't even necessary.

This thread was sparked by the Rob Longley article about Bolland. It's not about that player, wish you would move on. Not sure where you saw this being anything other than a Bolland let's appreciate what he brings to our team thread.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON

A few are pretty close.

If someone can find me a $4M guy who's like Bolland, I'd more inclined to agree with you, but right now, Bolland hasn't done enough in the past couple of seasons to justify being $1M better than recent third line cup winners Jarret Stoll, Chris Kelly and Rich Peverley.

Scoring a cup-winning goal is huge, but only for the team he scored it on. I don't see the Leafs paying an extra $1M because he scored that goal for the Hawks.

Now, if he scored that goal for the Leafs :naughty:

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I love the offseason moves. These guys are exactly what this team needs to progress in the playoffs. Had we had Bolland and Clarkson last year I guarantee that we wouldn't have folded in the last 11 minutes + OT of game 7. These guys are huge acquisitions. I can't wait to see the game that Clarkson will bring to the table because he's likely to be even more effective than Bolland, which would be amazing. Gritty players like these are what we need. Hopefully the injuries stop piling up and we can see what our full roster can do.

Go Leafs Go!

I can't speak for Bolland but I can for Mcclement! My brother in law knows his father and Jay, he told me that when the Leafs signed him that he was excited to play here, being that hes a hometown boy (well from Kingston) and the Leafs are a solid team, not to mention he was offered higher contracts but turned them down. The Leafs are better then last year (so far) and as long as the uptrend continues (which it should) then I gurantee you he resigns here for the long term. As for Bolland I'm not sure about him to be honest, I mean that I don't know what his plans are...

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Fun fact about Mcclement, he has kept all his hockey equipment from the NHL and hoards it in his shed at his parents house.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Mcclement is still my favourite player overall for work ethic and leading by example.

I cant believe how good Mcclement is defensively. When we signed him i assumed he was a 4th liner with no merit. I hope hes a leaf til he retires we'll never find another forward as good defensively who plays his role with perfection

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I honestly think you go the year before that - if we had Bolland, Clarkson etc - do we (ugh...i can't believe i'm using the term) we would have 18-Wheelered it?

I think at times the fans (and the media) forget how young our team is. I think as of right now the oldest guy on the team is McClement at 30. (Grandpa Liles is what? 32 and not even on the team anymore). so I think it is amazing that we're getting really good leadership and they are still under the age of 30.

I think to keep Bolland - we make the playoffs. end of story (I don't think it matters HOW we make it, ie -guaranteed spot/wildcard) but if we make the playoffs, I feel he won't go back to Chicago (imo the only other team he'd probably go to - he doesn't seem to me like a guy who goes where the money goes, he'll go what makes sense to his family).

but having Bolland here makes me a happy panda.

No way he's leaving unless we somehow can't mange the cap which would be a huge fail on Nonis and co. Everyone likes to bring up the cap and and all that but there are always ways to get under the cap. Remember we are allowed to go 10% over the cap in the summer so there is a cushion there. I have a hard time believing that Nonis got him to just let him go a year from now. Him and Dion are next in line for extensions and will get worked out as the year goes on.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Another point I agree with Daisy on is how young we are. The media refuse to bring that up, I believe we're the 3rd or 4th youngest , but right now with Leivo and Broll up we're the youngest at the moment. That is something we can't ignore, we're 5-1 with the youngest team in the league. Anyone who wants to argue that we don't have prospects or we're not a very good team, I say bring it on. There is no argument to be made.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bolland...another game winner!!!! Lots of scoring with this team as the GF stats prove that. Now get the defence in order and we have an awesome team!

Lots of haters showing up, mostly Hab and Sens fans. They have to be very very worried about the Leafs. Leafs are the youngest team in the NHL, yet they are 5-1 and are scoring a ton of goals. All this inspite of the fact they are missing some pretty good players, like Kulemin, Clarkson and Fraser.

Bolland seems to be a rare type of player, one who actually plays better when the pressure is on. Most play the same some wither but Bolland is better when the game is on the line.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I still contend, as I did at the time, that Bolland should have won the Conn Smythe when the Hawks won the cup in 2010. He was clearly the straw that stirred the drink that year. Of course I knew he wouldn't win it no matter how much he deserved it as the voters are not smart enough to look beyond points.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No way he's leaving unless we somehow can't mange the cap which would be a huge fail on Nonis and co. Everyone likes to bring up the cap and and all that but there are always ways to get under the cap. Remember we are allowed to go 10% over the cap in the summer so there is a cushion there. I have a hard time believing that Nonis got him to just let him go a year from now. Him and Dion are next in line for extensions and will get worked out as the year goes on.

And I think -for as much Nonis gets crapped on, he's pretty smart cap wise. Everyone was bleating this summer how OMG we spent SO MUCH MONEY, we can't sign Kadri or Kessel or Franson.. DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOmmmmm!

And Nonis:
gets Kadri signed
franson signed (had to cave on the year, to get the money amount he wanted)
kessel extended
and raymond signed

ALL before October 1st.

Nonis was touted for not being "aggressive" enough in Vancouver (and in a news article I read recently it was also because there was a trade that he was 100 percent firm of NOT doing because it would ultimately hurt the club). guys like that I can get behind.

Man's not dumb.

And I agree - Nonis gave up 3 relatively impactful picks (you can get some special people in the third round!) to get Bolland. But I think it will be easier if we're still in the division race (not wild card hunt) say January to get him to sign. But at the same time I do agree with you, unless something wild happens, Bolland's a leaf for the next few years. He's our new Gary Roberts, just you watch.

Another point I agree with Daisy on is how young we are. The media refuse to bring that up, I believe we're the 3rd or 4th youngest , but right now with Leivo and Broll up we're the youngest at the moment. That is something we can't ignore, we're 5-1 with the youngest team in the league. Anyone who wants to argue that we don't have prospects or we're not a very good team, I say bring it on. There is no argument to be made.

I think with everyone regular - we're like third... (maybe still 2nd). Edmonton wins that (again). and I don't know who else is younger than we are? MAYBE Colorado? that's my best guess.

I still contend, as I did at the time, that Bolland should have won the Conn Smythe when the Hawks won the cup in 2010. He was clearly the straw that stirred the drink that year. Of course I knew he wouldn't win it no matter how much he deserved it as the voters are not smart enough to look beyond points.

i agree with you. voters are dumb. I remember him from 2010, he was amazing.

Tyler Biggs*

He just knows how to play the game. Always goes to the right places with his stick on the ice. Solid pickup for the Leafs.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
A few are pretty close.

If someone can find me a $4M guy who's like Bolland, I'd more inclined to agree with you, but right now, Bolland hasn't done enough in the past couple of seasons to justify being $1M better than recent third line cup winners Jarret Stoll, Chris Kelly and Rich Peverley.

Scoring a cup-winning goal is huge, but only for the team he scored it on. I don't see the Leafs paying an extra $1M because he scored that goal for the Hawks.

Now, if he scored that goal for the Leafs :naughty:

Stoll - came off a season where he averaged 0.25 PPG in both regular season/playoffs, also was on 3rd PK unit in playoffs

Kelly - worse offensive numbers when he signed contract (0.40 PPG vs 0.51 for Bolland in regular season, 0.43 PPG in playoffs when he signed contract vs 0.64 for Bolland)

Peverley - like this comparable actually

Also agree with the cup-winning goal comment, but I think there's definitely added value for it as wrong as it is. With the cap jump next year, have to think there's some team that gets victimized by a top line that has $$$ to spend on a perceived elite shutdown center.

At the same time, perhaps the contract Bolland has now sucks and he'll need to take a cut on his next one. I can see that if he plays 50-60 games again for sure. If I was the Leafs I'd somewhat consider resting him later in the year if they're able to to keep him healthy for the playoffs.

Eh, any of him, Buff, Keith or Toews were good choices.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad