Who was better?

• Fedorov

Votes: 145 73.2%
  • Datsyuk

Votes: 53 26.8%

• Total voters

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Anderson is a Hall of Famer but OV is/was better. Context is that Anderson played on a lot of good teams and never had to be the guy. Even during the 2018 run, OV tied the goal scoring record and has scored around 0.5 gpg in the playoffs for his career.
Exactly my point.

Datsyuk in his prime was a ppg type playoff guy. As was Fedorov.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I know who is in my avatar and all but even I understand it is Fedorov and that is absolutely nothing against Datsyuk either.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'd take Datsyuk. Eye test, and he scored a bit more points but in a significantly lower scoring era.

Federov scored more points than Datsyk. Or are you comparing their p/gp? (Datsyuk - .96 vs Federov - .94)

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Federov scored more points than Datsyk. Or are you comparing their p/gp? (Datsyuk - .96 vs Federov - .94)
Yeah - sorry. Meant more ppg in lower scoring era. I'm not sure what the 'adjusted' would be, but I'm guessing something like 10-15% higher scoring than Feds. Fedorov played in an era when there were many 100+ point scorers every year. Datsyuk played in an era when 100 pts got you an Art Ross.

Reactions: authentic

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah - sorry. Meant more ppg in lower scoring era. I'm not sure what the 'adjusted' would be, but I'm guessing something like 10-15% higher scoring than Feds. Fedorov played in an era when there were many 100+ point scorers every year. Datsyuk played in an era when 100 pts got you an Art Ross.

True. Also need to factor in that Federov's production dropped off dramatically after his days playing in Detroit was over, due to age and injury. He hung on for a few years longer than he probably should've, whereas Datysuk ended his NHL career while still fairly productive.

This is a tough comparison for me as I really liked both players. I have Federov slightly above Datysuk, but its very close.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Most skilled. That's a different thing. This is an article from last year:

When Swedish outlet Sportbibeln asked Nicklas Lidstrom to pick the five best players he ever played with, he needed some time to think.
”It’s hard. I played with so many great players. But if I’ll start with goalie, I have to pick Dominik Hasek. He’s the one that stands out for me, and it was fun playing with him,” he said.
In the first defenseman slot, Lidstrom picked Chris Chelios, and at center, Steve Yzerman.
Lidstrom had a whole lot of great forwards to pick between.
”We have Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Sergei Fedorov, Luc Robitaille, Datsyuk, Zetterberg…”
Lidstrom eventually picked this as his dream team of players he played with.

Dominik Hasek
Chris Chelios, Nicklas Lidstrom
Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan

So basically the starting lineup from NHL 2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad