• 2 x Stanley Cup
  • 4 x Lady Byng Trophy '06, '07, '08, '09
  • 3 x Selke Trophy '08, '09, '10
  • Olympics 1 x Gold, 1 x Bronze
  • World Championships 1 x Gold, 1 x Silver, 2 x Bronze
  • Voted one of the 100 Greatest Players in NHL History​

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Closer than this poll will be. They are nearly equal for me at their best but Fedorov atleast was a much better goal scorer with more dominant playoff runs over the course of his career

Reactions: Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Fedorov has the single best season when he nearly won every award. But Datsyuk has the next 2 best seasons. 2007 and 2008 both times he finished 4th in scoring and won the selke is better than anything else Fedorov did.

That, and Datsyuk was simply more consistent in terms of quality of play (albeit more injured) in the regular season

Postseason is pretty easily Fedorov though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This, and I trust lidstrom opinion as well. Datsyuk hit a similar peak as Federov in a higher skilled league. Federov left a bigger legacy and will probably win this poll though.

Based on the eye test alone Datsyuk is even better, and that’s saying something when he’s against a player who could shoot 100+MPH, and had every single offensive and defensive skill you could ask for along with great IQ and the best overall skating in the game.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Closer than this poll will be. They are nearly equal for me at their best but Fedorov atleast was a much better goal scorer with more dominant playoff runs over the course of his career
Was he more dominant in the playoffs? Neither won a Conn Smythe. They both basically had around a point per game in the playoffs throughout their primes. Overall the numbers skew poorly for Datsyuk because he was on the 4th line in his rookie yr.

Love both these players, but it’s Fedorov

One of the best all around players ever
As was Datsyuk

Fedorov has the single best season when he nearly won every award. But Datsyuk has the next 2 best seasons. 2007 and 2008 both times he finished 4th in scoring and won the selke is better than anything else Fedorov did.

That, and Datsyuk was simply more consistent in terms of quality of play (albeit more injured) in the regular season

Postseason is pretty easily Fedorov though.
Not if you eliminate the first couple yrs of Datsyuk's playoffs when he was a rookie on the 4th line. During their primes it's pretty much same production. And neither won a Conn Smythe.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This, and I trust lidstrom opinion as well. Datsyuk hit a similar peak as Federov in a higher skilled league. Federov left a bigger legacy and will probably win this poll though.
Ya it's funny because it probably all stems from the one Hart season. Like hypothetically speaking if Mario isn't limited to 22 games that yr, a Fedorov has the exact same season but Mario wins the Hart, how different this debate might be.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I’m gonna go Datsyuk. I almost chose Fedorov but thinking it through I think Datsyuk was the better player with better longevity.
Fedorov played 300 more games than Datsyuk. Fedorov retired from the NHL at 40, Datsyuk was 38. They both retired from pro hockey at 43 though.

Reactions: nucks88

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Was he more dominant in the playoffs? Neither won a Conn Smythe. They both basically had around a point per game in the playoffs throughout their primes. Overall the numbers skew poorly for Datsyuk because he was on the 4th line in his rookie yr.

As was Datsyuk

Not if you eliminate the first couple yrs of Datsyuk's playoffs when he was a rookie on the 4th line. During their primes it's pretty much same production. And neither won a Conn Smythe.

Meant to say he had more elite playoff runs, but at their best they were equally dominant I think. Part of that is due to Datsyuk being buried on the 4th line early in his career.

Fedorov played 300 more games than Datsyuk. Fedorov retired from the NHL at 40, Datsyuk was 38. They both retired from pro hockey at 43 though.

Datsyuk aged better as a player though

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Was he more dominant in the playoffs? Neither won a Conn Smythe. They both basically had around a point per game in the playoffs throughout their primes. Overall the numbers skew poorly for Datsyuk because he was on the 4th line in his rookie
Easily, yes. Fedorov was robbed of the Conn Smythe in '97. You don't have to make bad playoff years go away for Fedorov. Every year with the Wings, except one, Fedorov was either 1st or 2nd in playoff scoring.
As was Datsyuk
To a lesser degree.
Fedorov as a 20yo rookie led the Wings in playoff scoring. And again, robbed in '97.

Puck handling, puck protection and overall defensive play go to Dastyuk I would say
No chance.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Maybe when you consider more modern recovery methods and dietary knowledge I'd say it's negligible.

Yeah perhaps. Certainly didn’t stop someone like Gordie Howe though or numerous other players in the distant past. Their primes are only a decade apart

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It depends on what the poll is specifically asking.

If we're talking prime then it's Fedorov for me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fedorov quite easily for me

I feel like Fedorov's ability to take over a game doesn't show up in the stats. It's part of why us Wings fans were so hard on him. Because he'd be absolutely dominant one night and you'd wonder why that didn't happen more often.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Fedorov.

Datsyuk was a fancier stick handler, passer, and master of stealing pucks, but Fedorov was a better goal scorer, skater, and two-way player. He obviously had the higher peak in 1994. He didn't always try hard in the regular season but his playoff resume is much stronger than Datsyuk's.

Most importantly, his NHL 95 ratings were far higher than anything Datsyuk ever reached in EA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad