Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk retiring

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Miraculous he managed to play 270+ games in the KHL. When he broke his contract with the Wings I was told several times his ankles were shot anyway so not a big loss.

In all seriousness what a great player and fantastic career. I remember in his first couple seasons I massively underrated his potential, thinking he'd be a Slava Kozlov type player. I think I was fooled by them being two soft spoken but crafty Russians wearing the same number.

I'll always marvel at what Datsyuk did on the ice, but do not love how he left or his regressive views on social issues.
His level of play in the KHL vs his last season with the wings was night and day. Did not at all resemble the ferocious #13 that every player in the NHL feared being ridiculed by on the ice. His foot speed was totally shot. He still had his hands though.

He left DET at the right time. Would have been better if it was on an expiring contract, but it is what it is. We often forget that they aren’t just robotic athletes, but they do have personal lives and other things going on asides the great game of hockey.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad