Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk retiring

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Bingo.
Not religious myself. But some of the best damn people I know are devout.
Who cares?
I agree that some of the best people i know are religious. My comment wasn't simply about Datsyuk (or anyone else) being religious. You're conflating two different things.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Datsyuk the person seems like an asshole. Way he was raised or otherwise, I don’t care. I appreciate the magic he wove for us. And I really hate him for the way he left and tried painting it as something else.

If he had any thoughts of going home, you do the contract year by year. But he didn’t. Had he and Milstein got their ask, we would have had another two years of dead money.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Datsyuk the person seems like an asshole. Way he was raised or otherwise, I don’t care. I appreciate the magic he wove for us. And I really hate him for the way he left and tried painting it as something else.

If he had any thoughts of going home, you do the contract year by year. But he didn’t. Had he and Milstein got their ask, we would have had another two years of dead money.

Good lord.
Datsyuk the person seems like an asshole?
That goes against just everything that's ever been written about Datsyuk.

Why don't you ask Ken Holland why he didn't take "no" for an answer on the Datsyuk contract.

The contract itself was silly - even if Datsyuk hadn't already expressed to Holland that he wanted to go home.
$7.6M x 3 for a 35+year-old C in a league in which very few 35 year old centers have ever been worth that kind of money.

Regardless, it hardly mattered.
The Wings were plummeting, Datsyuk contract or not.

Holland wound up pulling a great trade and then wasted the cap space on Nielsen.

You "really hate him?"
Man.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Good lord.

Why don't you ask Ken Holland why he didn't take "no" for an answer on the Datsyuk contract.

The contract itself was silly - even if Datsyuk hadn't already expressed to Holland that he wanted to go home.
$7.6M x 3 for a 35+year-old C in a league in which very few 35 year old centers have ever been worth that kind of money.

Holland wound up pulling a great trade and then wasted the cap space on Nielsen.

Talking about two separate things. Datsyuk the person has some troubling beliefs and acts in a way fitting those beliefs.

I was stating that my dislike for the man is 100% because he signed a contract that HE pushed for it to be even longer than he got and he demanded out within a week without some drastic change. Like, he was there when the surgery happened… he knew how f***ed his ankles were and how Mr. I actually stuck by him, but he reneged on a deal and used “oh I need to go home” as the excuse. He had Lidstrom as the example. Lidstrom played around about wanting to go back to Sweden, so he did one year deals as long as he felt the urge to play NHL hockey

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I agree that some of the best people i know are religious. My comment wasn't simply about Datsyuk (or anyone else) being religious. You're conflating two different things.
Life's too short to return hate with hate.
It would be nice if we could all celebrate the things that make everyone unique.
But that's not easy.
What is easy is enjoying the things that make us similar.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Good lord.

Holland told you why he didn’t take no if you read the article. He figured he would have been strung up by the casual Wing fans if he just walked away from a still damn good Datsyuk.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Life's too short to return hate with hate.
It would be nice if we could all celebrate the things that make everyone unique.
But that's not easy.
What is easy is enjoying the things that make us similar.
I haven't returned hate about anything. I'm not picketing outside Datsyuk's house or anything.

And overall I agree. But when we're talking about people being against basic human rights it's not that simple.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Good lord.

You "really hate him?"
Man.
Datsyuk and his agent were pushing for even longer term. That was Holland negotiating them down.

$7.6 million for 3 years on a 35+ contract would've been totally worth that money for putting butts in seats alone. Datsyuk was the second highest scorer on the Wings even though he only played 66 games.

The Wings were definitely running out of gas but that doesn't change that Datsyuk put the team in a bad situation. And the only reason he even stayed as long as he did was because they promised that they wouldn't fight him playing in the KHL if he stayed another year.

Given the choice between an aging Datsyuk and Nielsen, I still take Dats every time.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Datsyuk and his agent were pushing for even longer term. That was Holland negotiating them down.

$7.6 million for 3 years on a 35+ contract would've been totally worth that money for putting butts in seats alone. Datsyuk was the second highest scorer on the Wings even though he only played 66 games.

The Wings were definitely running out of gas but that doesn't change that Datsyuk put the team in a bad situation. And the only reason he even stayed as long as he did was because they promised that they wouldn't fight him playing in the KHL if he stayed another year.

Given the choice between an aging Datsyuk and Nielsen, I still take Dats every time.

Here's what was reported at the time:
While this may be a shock to fans, it cannot be to the Red Wings. The truth is, Datsyuk has been squirming to go home since 2012, the year he played in Russia during the NHL lockout. Last season he basically told Detroit he was finished, and only the length of his contract, terrific persuasion by general manager Ken Holland and personal involvement from Mike and Marian Ilitch convinced him otherwise.

'Datsyuk’s deal kicked in when he was 36.

“I feel very bad about it,” said Datsyuk, who is walking away from that $7.5 million. “Looking back, I wish I had done a year-by-year contract, not a three-year contract. I stayed (last year) in respect for Ilitch family. I don’t want to leave team in disaster. But if I have to do over again, I would sign a different deal. I didn’t realize it at the time.”'

Datsyuk was so done, man.
The tendon surgery ended the player we knew as Datsyuk.
It was not fun watching him his last year.
His 5 on 5 production plummeted to a career low 1.32. It had never been below 1.95.

Had he stayed, he would have been viewed as overpaid.

Either way it was over.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I haven't returned hate about anything. I'm not picketing outside Datsyuk's house or anything.

And overall I agree. But when we're talking about people being against basic human rights it's not that simple.

I've supported gay marriage since the early 90s man.
But I also understand that marriage is a religious act that became part of government law.

I wonder if "marriage" - recognized by gov't - should be replaced by civil unions.
And let churches have their marriage.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've supported gay marriage since the early 90s man.
But I also understand that marriage is a religious act that became part of government law.

I wonder if "marriage" - recognized by gov't - should be replaced by civil unions.
And let churches have their marriage.

Yeah, that's what Datsyuk wants. He wants Putin to separate marriage and civil unions in Russia. Of course! He totally hasn't turned a blind eye to literally every human rights issue going on in his nation because he's one of Putin's favorite ambassadors and the oppression of others is actually to his good fortune.

Nah, it's all about a ticky tacky piece of nomenclature and semantics. Same with all that silly Ukraine stuff.

And with that, I'm gonna ask folks to shut down the political talk or the mean ol' thought police will go all 1984, shut down the thread and silence your free speech.

38a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Seider will not pass Datsyuk as a more exciting player.

First game I ever saw him, I kept thinking, why does the announcer keep talking about duck soup?
Almost immediately, he created a buzz.
I remember there was some debate about who'd be a better rookie - Jason Williams or Pavel Datsyuk.
Didn't last long.
Around February or so of his rookie year, with a few wings out battling injuries, Datsyuk got more TOI and just owned everything.
Well. I don't remember Williams debates.

I do remember Sanchez or what was the name of the njd guy?

Anyhow my favourite players are
Datsyuk, Shanahan, Hasek, Stevens and Kronwall (Konstatinov).
Very few fans have Stevens as a favourite player.
I like hitting.

There was one girl who was a big fan of datsyuk. I don't remember her name. But datsyuk did create a lot of buzz, even Sakic was impressed.
The whole league expected something every game from Datsyuk. He was classy and exciting.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I like hitting.

I think because if you weren't a Caps/Devils fan, he was absolutely terrorizing your team physically. And on the scoreboard. Easy guy to root against. Easy guy to love if he's hitting for you.

His brand of hockey is dated by current standards, but it's undeniable he was a monster in his era.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, that's what Datsyuk wants. He wants Putin to separate marriage and civil unions in Russia. Of course! He totally hasn't turned a blind eye to literally every human rights issue going on in his nation because he's one of Putin's favorite ambassadors and the oppression of others is actually to his good fortune.

Nah, it's all about a ticky tacky piece of nomenclature and semantics. Same with all that silly Ukraine stuff.

And with that, I'm gonna ask folks to shut down the political talk or the mean ol' thought police will go all 1984, shut down the thread and silence your free speech.

38a.jpg

Hey man, I get that there are rules here, but I've got a few more things to say and I will not be silen

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think because if you weren't a Caps/Devils fan, he was absolutely terrorizing your team physically. And on the scoreboard. Easy guy to root against. Easy guy to love if he's hitting for you.

His brand of hockey is dated by current standards, but it's undeniable he was a monster in his era.
I was never a fan of njd hockey, on the contrary. But I loved the way he played the game. I remember McCarty once said that hitting Stevens was like hitting a brick wall.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well. I don't remember Williams debates.

I do remember Sanchez or what was the name of the njd guy?

Anyhow my favourite players are
Datsyuk, Shanahan, Hasek, Stevens and Kronwall (Konstatinov).
I like hitting.

There was one girl who was a big fan of datsyuk. I don't remember her name. But datsyuk did create a lot of buzz, even Sakic was impressed.
The whole league expected something every game from Datsyuk. He was classy and exciting.
Gomez.
Boy, did that guy's career falter after NJ.

The other big debate on the newsgroup circuit back then was Datsyuk vs Vrbata - Colorado's late round pick.
Avs fans trolling the Wings' group also talked up Nedorost for awhile.

Alex Tanguay, by the way, was drafted the same year as Datsyuk.

Reactions: 14ari13

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

It's hard for me to put into words how much i hated Stevens when he played. But I find myself spending a surprising amount of time here defending the guy because nowadays people act like Stevens was running around braining guys every shift based on the Top 10 hits of his career on Youtube.

He'd probably pick up a suspension or two just for the optics of how devastating some of his hits were but the vast majority would be legal even under today's rules.

Man I hated that f***er. When he crushed Kozlov he also crushed Wings fans hopes and dreams of winning the Cup right along with it.

Reactions: Bench

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Gomez.
Boy, did that guy's career falter after NJ.

The other big debate on the newsgroup circuit back then was Datsyuk vs Vrbata - Colorado's late round pick.
Avs fans trolling the Wings' group also talked up Nedorost for awhile.

Alex Tanguay, by the way, was drafted the same year as Datsyuk.
It was Gomez. Thanks.

I remember the debates Gomez vs Datsyuk. On the main board it was like 90% were favouring Gomez. But on the main board the fans are big mouth little brain.
It's hard for me to put into words how much i hated Stevens when he played. But I find myself spending a surprising amount of time here defending the guy because nowadays people act like Stevens was running around braining guys every shift based on the Top 10 hits of his career on Youtube.

He'd probably pick up a suspension or two just for the optics of how devastating some of his hits were but the vast majority would be legal even under today's rules.

Man I hated that f***er. When he crushed Kozlov he also crushed Wings fans hopes and dreams of winning the Cup right along with it.

A rare time Stevens got his ass handed to him. Little Sakic leveled him big time.

Datsyuk and Stevens are ones of my favourites and Seider looks like a combination of the 2. That's the reason why I enjoyed last season almost like the ones when we had great teams.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
Wings could/should have had Jakob Chychrun but they had to clear Datsyuk's money.
You could have had Chychrun, keep the contract and start the rebuild in 2016. From toadys view it was a dumb move against the future by Holland and Mr. I trying to keep the streak alive.

For me Datsyuk was a reason to stay awake to 5.00am and go to work at 8.00am and there were not a lot of nights to regret.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You could have had Chychrun, keep the contract and start the rebuild in 2016. From toadys view it was a dumb move against the future by Holland and Mr. I trying to keep the streak alive.

For me Datsyuk was a reason to stay awake to 5.00am and go to work at 8.00am and there were not a lot of nights to regret.

Yep.
What good did trading the cap hit away actually do?
None.
We fell out of the playoffs anyway.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My all time favorite hockey player. Insane talent level with a very unconventional set of tools. Not the tallest, fastest, smoothest, or strongest, but his intangibles were off the fooking charts and made him the best player at the beginning of the advanced stats era. So very likable. Goalies everywhere are now having their best nights of sleep in as long as they can remember and now feel a strange sense of relief. I will never hold the way he left Detroit against him, it was Ken Holland who should have left. Glad he was able to go back to his home and be with his family and finish out his career on a high note. Congrats on a legendary career to the human highlight reel, purveyor of Datsyukian Dekes.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
My all time favorite hockey player. Insane talent level with a very unconventional set of tools. Not the tallest, fastest, smoothest, or strongest, but his intangibles were off the fooking charts and made him the best player at the beginning of the advanced stats era. So very likable. Goalies everywhere are now having their best nights of sleep in as long as they can remember and now feel a strange sense of relief. I will never hold the way he left Detroit against him, it was Ken Holland who should have left. Glad he was able to go back to his home and be with his family and finish out his career on a high note. Congrats on a legendary career to the human highlight reel, purveyor of Datsyukian Dekes.
One of my favorites of all time as well and was such a treat to watch. Maybe not the strongest guy but there was something said by some NHLer I can't remember who but it was said he was actually a beast in the gym. I've had a chance to talk to some ex NHLers from my home town that are friends of friends of mine and it was unanimous that the 2 hardest guys to knock down or get the puck from was Jagr and Dats.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What is he up to now? He should work with kids, developing next Datsyuks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad