Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk retiring

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I remember the first time I was able to pull off the datsyukian toe drag Deke on a breakaway in a game… #13 will always be one of my favourite players all time. Wasn’t only a very smart player on the ice; but one hell of an entertainer with those silky smooth mitts as well.

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
GOAT. He was already pretty much retired as he didn't play last season in the KHL. He did play today in a "farewell match" for Alex Semin (Ovechkin also played in it) in Russia. Not a real competition but could be his last time on the ice even in this capacity. What a career.

How many years are left on his KHL contract?
none, he didn't play last year either

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Magical memories of watching him play. Just always making something happen on the ice.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Definitely one of the most exciting player to watch ever.

But Seider is going to join and pass him.

Seider will not pass Datsyuk as a more exciting player.

First game I ever saw him, I kept thinking, why does the announcer keep talking about duck soup?
Almost immediately, he created a buzz.
I remember there was some debate about who'd be a better rookie - Jason Williams or Pavel Datsyuk.
Didn't last long.
Around February or so of his rookie year, with a few wings out battling injuries, Datsyuk got more TOI and just owned everything.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Perhaps the best hockey player I ever saw.
Never saw one like him before, haven't seen one like him since.

Had what he called a "hockey heart," just like Yzerman.

Should be a Hall of Famer.
Should also see his jersey retired by Detroit.
The way he left midway through a contract? Nah.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Miraculous he managed to play 270+ games in the KHL. When he broke his contract with the Wings I was told several times his ankles were shot anyway so not a big loss.

In all seriousness what a great player and fantastic career. I remember in his first couple seasons I massively underrated his potential, thinking he'd be a Slava Kozlov type player. I think I was fooled by them being two soft spoken but crafty Russians wearing the same number.

I'll always marvel at what Datsyuk did on the ice, but do not love how he left or his regressive views on social issues.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Datsyuk would’ve won the Selke and scored 110+ points in today’s league. Sometimes I get bitter seeing all the open space in today’s NHL and wonder what magic Datsyuk would’ve made with it.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
What made Datsyuk Datsyuk? I watched much of it, but other than "magic" I can't do anything but wave my hands vaguely and point to replays, when asked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad