Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk Leaving Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I listened to some of the Holland interview. He also implied that he genuinely believes Datsyuk didn't know about the 35+ rule and there was a failure of communication with his now former agent. Holland kept dropping his former agents' name during the interview.

Meh whatever, I dont care whose fault it is. **** happens. I'd say it's best to focus on the future.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I listened to some of the Holland interview. He also implied that he genuinely believes Datsyuk didn't know about the 35+ rule and there was a failure of communication with his now former agent. Holland kept dropping his former agents' name during the interview.

if datsyuk had any doubts about wanting to play beyond one year, he shouldn't have signed a multi year deal regardless of the 35+ rule

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ultimately it's just not that big a deal.

Datsyuk stays. So what? He eats a 7.5M cap hit and is nowhere near as good as his peak. He's still our 1C and we lack the cap room to go after any impact players making us a bubble team at best yet again.

Datsyuk leaves and we can't trade his hit. We're a worse bubble team. We could still make a play for the playoffs but obviously it's less likely without Datsyuk who was still our best player.

Datsyuk leaves and we can trade his hit. Now we have 7.5M to go after some big names. If we can get impact players great, we might even be in a better position than with Datsyuk. Datsyuk can't even last a full season these days. A younger player in their prime at least might be able to do that. If we can't get someone, oh well, no different from if we couldn't trade his hit.

If Datsyuk were 30-34 or wasn't obviously severely diminished from his peak this might be worse for us but that simply isn't the case. It's *almost* a wash. We go from barely a playoff team to maybe almost a barely playoff team with or without him. We weren't a threat last year with him and we surely wouldn't be a threat this year with him. To me that makes me shrug my shoulders for anyone saying this hurts us. It actually gives us more potential to be a threat. We were *not* going to be a threat with Datsyuk. He makes us a better team but he also limited our flexibility because of his hit. Without him we might be a worse team but we might also become a better one. Obviously chances are slim on the latter but at least the possibility is there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm curious if it's actually hard to trade Datsyuk now or if Holland is just posturing...

Only thing I can see being gained from that kind of posturing is it artificially lowers the cap room the Wings have. And with a bunch of guys still yet to be signed Holland could point to it as restricting his ability to offer them more.

On the other hand if other teams believe him that there's not much interest then don't they raise their prices because they think they've got Holland in a bind?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Uh oh. Datsyuk is the bad guy here. I mean if you think athletes can be bad guys.

This has been dragging on over 2 years. Datsyuk didn't want to stay.

He definitely is.

I still can't help but love the guy overall. Such a great player who did so much for the Wings, but this is a stain for sure.

And as someone who criticizes Holland often, I should give him credit where it's due for only signing Dats to a 3 year deal and not 5.

Last edited:

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Only thing I can see being gained from that kind of posturing is it artificially lowers the cap room the Wings have. And with a bunch of guys still yet to be signed Holland could point to it as restricting his ability to offer them more.

On the other hand if other teams believe him that there's not much interest then don't they raise their prices because they think they've got Holland in a bind?

I would say no, because if you ask for too much you end up with nothing. Teams might rather pulks abd a 3rd, over nothing, when they were asking for pulks and a first, either way i see us talking about it all week, and it happens at the draft as expected earlier, teams Want to know what's on the draft board before picks get moved...

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So people thought he might stay after the announcement in April? :laugh:

Imagine a guy in a (long-term) relationship trying to break it off. He has to go through hours of consoling to let her down easy, so as not to cause destruction. "Don't worry I just need space right now, I still love you and we could be back together....". After that misery getting off the hook how many guys in the world do you think actually return to the dumpee? I'll tell you, 0.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
On Twitter the consensus is it's just posturing. This of course excludes the local Detroit media sheep who believe/play up everything KH says.

Yeah...can't see this not getting done. 7.5M for this year and no free agent ability....or you trade BOTH Jurco and Pulkkinen, get a draft pick back, and AA/Mantha have spots on the roster to show how much better they are than Jurco or Pulkkinen and we draft players who would be better than Jurco or Pulkkinen.

I mean...if I had to throw in Brendan Smith on top of Jurco or Pulkkinen...I do it in a heartbeat.

This is not the year for Holland to start posturing and making it look like he has no idea what he's doing. We need bulldog/aggressive Holland who can sell hot molten aluminum to an ant farm.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah...can't see this not getting done. 7.5M for this year and no free agent ability....or you trade BOTH Jurco and Pulkkinen, get a draft pick back, and AA/Mantha have spots on the roster to show how much better they are than Jurco or Pulkkinen and we draft players who would be better than Jurco or Pulkkinen.

I mean...if I had to throw in Brendan Smith on top of Jurco or Pulkkinen...I do it in a heartbeat.

This is not the year for Holland to start posturing and making it look like he has no idea what he's doing. We need bulldog/aggressive Holland who can sell hot molten aluminum to an ant farm.
I'd want to keep Smith if possible. In fact I'd ditch Ouellet over Smith, easily.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So now that Pavel did this conference and made it completely official that he has no intention of playing in the NHL, isn't the impending trade obviously purely cap circumvention? I kind of feel like the league would have to do something about it to avoid looking like a joke. I mean what is the point of having the 35+ clause and the cap floor if you can pull **** like this?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And in 10 years they'll be 29 and 34.
I doubt that, but for those of us who are only interested in returning to championship contention, there's no difference between 29 & 34, and the last few years, because either way, the Cup ain't coming here.

If you TRY to rebuild, in 5 years this roster could be in fantastic shape.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So now that Pavel did this conference and made it completely official that he has no intention of playing in the NHL, isn't the impending trade obviously purely cap circumvention? I kind of feel like the league would have to do something about it to avoid looking like a joke. I mean what is the point of having the 35+ clause and the cap floor if you can pull **** like this?

They've already allowed it before with contracts like Pronger and Savard, the NHL isn't going to do anything.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
At the end of the day, Datsyuk only screwed Detroit for one year. I'll take that in exchange for two more Stanley Cups.

Sure..if they want to ditch his deal, they'll have to thrown in a draft pick or player or both. There is still far more good when he was here to become bitter over him leaving.

Especially for a guy at the end of his career.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I doubt that, but for those of us who are only interested in returning to championship contention, there's no difference between 29 & 34, and the last few years, because either way, the Cup ain't coming here.

If you TRY to rebuild, in 5 years this roster could be in fantastic shape.

Our team is still too good to plumet, we won't be getting 2-3years of top 5-10 picks, we will be right outside of the playoffs in the 10-14 range maybe one top 10, we arent has enough to be a dumpster fire to the bottom with out moving people

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
It doesn't make the overboard castigation of Datsyuk any less disgusting. It's crazy to bend over backwards to defend him, because he sent us up a creek with only potentially trading several assets to be rid of 7.5M as a paddle, but to read some of what's written here, you'd think Datsyuk skated out to center ice and pissed on the logo.

I haven't seen any of that. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to be unhappy with a guy who knew before he even signed the contract that he didn't want to stay. At best, he was extremely naïve and totally uninformed about the salary cap situation and was duped by his agent. At worst, he knew, was trying to get maximum salary and didn't care about leaving the Wings in a bind. It's not that he's leaving, it's that he's leaving the Wings with a 7.5 million dollar cap hit AND he's continuing to play hockey. Was there any animosity towards Calvin Johnson? None. He didn't leave the team with a cap hit and he's actually retiring, not going to another league to play. What I see as a travesty is fans actually trying to blame Ken Holland.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Our team is still too good to plumet, we won't be getting 2-3years of top 5-10 picks, we will be right outside of the playoffs in the 10-14 range maybe one top 10, we arent has enough to be a dumpster fire to the bottom with out moving people
I think if the Wings don't make any contract-related moves (Datsyuk, Howard, Ericsson), they'll plummet for sure. At least for one year. The streak will be good as dead, and I imagine they'll draft in the top 10.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Happy for the time we did have with Pavel. A HHOF career and I will miss watching him play a great deal, though I might wake up early to catch a few of his KHL games.

It couldn't have ended much worse though, very sad that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad