Confirmed with Link: Datsyuk Leaving Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yep, this current version the Red Wings is gonna get worked HARD this year. Mrazek needs to be an MVP level player for us to be in the playoff hunt. It could happen but this team will struggle to get out of it's end of the ice and he's gonna face a boatload of rubber game in and game out.

I think mrazek plays even better when they're unloading shots like crazy on him. One example is that Washington game. 15 saves on ovechkin or something

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The problem is it's a particularly good free agent off-season for the Wings needs. A high scoring center and several possible defensive upgrades. That's likely not the case next year when cap space is available.

But Shattenkirk could be there as UFA...

If there's no chance for Stamkos at this summer, I'd wait for one year to get a next chance to fix our biggest need.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
All the metrics I have seen say that Tatar and Nyquist have regressed. It's not a function of give them more time ???? profit. They are playing against tougher competition and with less talented players around them. Neither have been much of catalysts by themselves. So I am skeptical that they will magically return to career highs. As for Larkin, I am not doubting him, which is amazing you got that out of what I said. I just said that if there is a change in role from wing to center may mean that there could be a down tick in production. That isn't doubting him, as I said he will likely be one of the team's MVPs next season.

Which metrics are those?

Their pts/60 at ES was virtually identical. Their minutes getting chopped and the PP struggling cut down their totals.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Which metrics are those?

Their pts/60 at ES was virtually identical. Their minutes getting chopped and the PP struggling cut down their totals.

Nyquist especially pts/60 pp because most of his points were on the power play. Also his shooting percentage, Goals created, his OPS and PS and his high quality chances have decreased significantly, I believe. The worst part is even though his ES numbers are steady the lines CF% have increased each year, meaning he's playing in high possession situations. And as I with the decline of the centers and defense in Detroit a rebound to career high numbers is highly unlikely.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Not a Red Wings fan, but I wanted to weigh in on this given how much I love Datsyuk as a player. Reading Khan's article, it sounds like Datsyuk intended to honor the contract when he signed it, but his heart wasn't in it anymore. I don't get the feeling that this was intentional on his part, or that he understood completely how to rule worked.

Just my personal opinion. I almost wish you guys would trade us Datsyuk for the purposes of contract termination just so I could say he spent a day in a Devil's jersey, even if he never actually put one on.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Not a Red Wings fan, but I wanted to weigh in on this given how much I love Datsyuk as a player. Reading Khan's article, it sounds like Datsyuk intended to honor the contract when he signed it, but his heart wasn't in it anymore. I don't get the feeling that this was intentional on his part, or that he understood completely how to rule worked.

Just my personal opinion. I almost wish you guys would trade us Datsyuk for the purposes of contract termination just so I could say he spent a day in a Devil's jersey, even if he never actually put one on.

Another outside fan here. No way. Datsyuk will not be traded. He's still a valuable asset for the NHL 17 video game coming out. His rating will hardly take a hit and he will be a black ace to insert into online match ups. Like Pronger used to be for the Flyers. That at least 88+ overall rating is too valuable to give up along with a draft pick for future considerations. Whoever wants to add Datsyuk will have to add more. Datsyuk, Jurco/Pulkkinen, and a 2nd shoukd bring at least a 1st round pick back.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
At worst Larkin gets 50 points next season. He would have progressed and then moving to center just gets rid of that. And that's at worst

Idk about nyquist. But Tatar can easily replicate his numbers on a good powerplay

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
At worst Larkin gets 50 points next season. He would have progressed and then moving to center just gets rid of that. And that's at worst

Idk about nyquist. But Tatar can easily replicate his numbers on a good powerplay

Ya and 1 year from now... Larkin will be your "idk about nyquist" guy.

Lets not count our chickens shall we. "at worst 50?"... :shakehead

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
All the metrics I have seen say that Tatar and Nyquist have regressed. It's not a function of give them more time ???? profit. They are playing against tougher competition and with less talented players around them.
Tatar's P/60 has been very steady in his NHL career, the only real difference has been icetime. 2 minutes less per game does A LOT to hurt a guy's production.
Nyquist's P/60 has decreased from the astronomical levels of 2 years ago, but are still solid (behind only Datsyuk and Tatar of our regulars this year). He actually had more ES points this year compared to last, with more than 1 minute less ES TOI/GP.

Icetime is too often ignored. Take away a few minutes a game from nearly anyone in the league and they will "regress".

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Ya and 1 year from now... Larkin will be your "idk about nyquist" guy.

Lets not count our chickens shall we. "at worst 50?"... :shakehead

I mean. he almost got 50 with the slump so unless players never progress

Wait I forgot. Larkin might be lucky to be a 2nd line center. Mrazek is just an above average Howard. All our dmen are bottom pair dmen

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No taxes paid over there. Money under the table. The whole thing stinks. Let's quit pretending it's the "daughter" thing. If that was it just bring her over. You think she'd prefer to be in Russia or in a US mall? :help:

The players pay taxes, the confusion comes about from the practice that publicized salaries in the KHL are sometimes post-tax.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Tatar's P/60 has been very steady in his NHL career, the only real difference has been icetime. 2 minutes less per game does A LOT to hurt a guy's production.
Nyquist's P/60 has decreased from the astronomical levels of 2 years ago, but are still solid (behind only Datsyuk and Tatar of our regulars this year). He actually had more ES points this year compared to last, with more than 1 minute less ES TOI/GP.

Icetime is too often ignored. Take away a few minutes a game from nearly anyone in the league and they will "regress".

If you saw my second post I showed the other metric he's seen regressions in. I think Nyquist peak is a 25/25 guy, but he's one of the biggest suffers from an overall lack of depth down the middle and on the back end.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Wait I forgot. Larkin might be lucky to be a 2nd line center. Mrazek is just an above average Howard. All our dmen are bottom pair dmen

I think chicken littles might panic about Larkin after next season if he's saddled with second line center duties. I think his point totals will either remain where they were or regress slightly. It won't be a sophomore slump, it'll be more adjustment from free wheeling winger play to having to be a standout two way player. I also believe though that once he adjusts for a season his offensive numbers will increase.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you saw my second post I showed the other metric he's seen regressions in. I think Nyquist peak is a 25/25 guy, but he's one of the biggest suffers from an overall lack of depth down the middle and on the back end.

Then how come his best season ever was with David Legwand as his center, and his best postseason ever was with Joakim Andersson as his center????

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think chicken littles might panic about Larkin after next season if he's saddled with second line center duties. I think his point totals will either remain where they were or regress slightly. It won't be a sophomore slump, it'll be more adjustment from free wheeling winger play to having to be a standout two way player. I also believe though that once he adjusts for a season his offensive numbers will increase.

If that were the case I would agree. But unless we sign stamkos I don't see how he isn't a first liner. Especially if the team is garbage. If the team uses z as the first liner the losses will pile up. Eventually Larkin will take over that role

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Then how come his best season ever was with David Legwand as his center, and his best postseason ever was with Joakim Andersson as his center????

Wasn't Sheahan his center? Or was that the year after or something

All I know is nyquist wasn't a 4th liner like legwand was at the end

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007

I'm not expecting much from Larkin next year. Players go through sophomore slumps. If he can hit forty points I'll be content, though if he avoids a slump he could easily hit 55.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'm not expecting much from Larkin next year. Players go through sophomore slumps. If he can hit forty points I'll be content, though if he avoids a slump he could easily hit 55.

He already went through his sophomore slump, in my opinion. He recognized he need to improve his conditioning at seasons end and after the ASG, he got a lot more defensive attention. The playoffs capped that off as well. He's not going into next season expecting it to be smooth sailing. He said as much himself.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

Alternatively you could say he got 45 points with the hot streak.

His level is somewhere between the first and second half of the season. Going by advanced stats, he was very lucky for the first half, unlucky for the second, but overall still lucky on the year, at even strength.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Seeing that nothing on this last page has much to do with Datsyuk, I think we need to shut this one down.

If there's something you want moved to a different or new thread, just ask a mod to move it there, and/or start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad