Datsyuk has accepted the invitation to go to the World Championship

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Assuming the Wings don't make HUGE changes this offseason, Datsyuk leaving and having 7.5m in dead cap space is a good thing for the Wings. It forces them to be bad for at least one season, which is needed to get the young talent we so desperately need.

May be a blessing in disguise. May have less room to re-sign Quincey and Helm, or may prompt to move a bad contract like Ericsson or Howard.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
lol, he should feel embarrassed going. Dude had an awful playoffs all while distracting the entire media and fanbase by his retirement story.

I never understood why he couldn't keep this under wraps until after the season. I can understand his need to talk about it-even to a select few teammates- but not to the media.

The way it played out I really think that the media got wind of it so he, and the Red Wings by extension, decided it was best to get out in front of it and own it. It might have come down to Mickey blabing on TV that started this ball rolling.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Someone please explain to me what "****** situation" Datsyuk has left the team in.

There are two possibilities next year:

1. He plays on nonexistent ankles and hobbles around embarrasingly while the Wings probably **** the bed again.

2. He doesn't, and the outcome is the same.

The only alternative is that he doesn't play, the Wings move his cap hit, and actually use it on something of value. Which could end up actually benefitting the team, given that the player Datsyuk was to round out the season was far from a $7.5M asset.

They lose an asset they could easily trade. If everyone wants the Red Wings to rebuild you can't let assets like that walk away for nothing. He'd return at least a first round pick and a prospect.

I'd rather have Datsyuk in the lineup then dead cap space.

This assumes those are the only options. They could not have in the lineup and not have to deal with the dead cap space.

And come on, man. The prospect of the Wings ever trading Datsyuk is nil. IF the Wings were ever rebuilding, they still wouldn't trade away a face of the franchise. They'd send Quincey types packing and make do with that.

And you can't premise your argument on Datsyuk being worth a 1st and a prospect. IF Datsyuk is still worth a 1st and a prospect at the deadline, then the Wings probably aren't rebuilding, because if Datsyuk were worth that, he'd probably be an even better player than he was this year.

Those aren't the only two possibilities.

Playoffs notwithstanding, Datsyuk was the Wings best player this year. Assuming he walks away from his contract, they lose one of their best players for nothing but still get stuck with his $7 mill cap hit.

To get rid of that cap hit by trade, they'll likely have to give up picks and/or prospects. They should be acquiring picks right now, not giving them away.

Datsyuk is going to play the World Championships on those "non-existent ankles" and may likely play in Russia on them next year. He has a long off-season to recover. Datsyuk on the 2nd or 3rd line playing 15 minutes for 50 games is still much better for the Wings than him being in Russia while Detroit takes his cap hit.

Datsyuk, at his best this year, was much less the player he was the season before. And Datsyuk, at the end of this season and in the playoffs, was half the player he was at his best at any point in the season, particularly defensively. The expectation that a 38 year-old Datsyuk is still going to be our best player next year when he wasn't even our best player yesterday is a huge stretch. The man was deteriorating before our very eyes.

The World Championship is a joke in comparison to the NHL playoffs. The KHL is a joke in comparison to the NHL. Datsyuk even openly said he'd be able to pull off some of the ol' Datsyukian magic in the KHL when he couldn't here, cause the standards for defense and checking aren't as rigorous. How many veteran players do I have to cite who "retired" to the European leagues when they couldn't even hack it in the NHL? How many elite Euro stars do I have to cite who couldn't even hack it in an NHL bottom 6?

Assuming the Wings don't make HUGE changes this offseason, Datsyuk leaving and having 7.5m in dead cap space is a good thing for the Wings. It forces them to be bad for at least one season, which is needed to get the young talent we so desperately need.

Right on. Worst case scenario, they're forced to play financially short-handed, putting on a rebuild that they can blame on stunted cap space. Boo hoo. Best case scenario, they move Datsyuk's cap hit and have the space to sign Stamkos, making us a better team in the short-term and solidifying our top 2 centers for the next 5+ years, basically continuing the Red Wings way by moving from Yzerman/Fedorov to Datsyuk/Zetterberg to Stamkos/Larkin overnight. Woo hoo. Now all of a sudden it makes sense to tread a little water in order to get that top pairing D or two when you have 2 great centers and a great goaltender to keep you afloat in the meantime. Here's to a 30 year streak. :naughty:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
The way it played out I really think that the media got wind of it so he, and the Red Wings by extension, decided it was best to get out in front of it and own it. It might have come down to Mickey blabing on TV that started this ball rolling.

I kind of think Mickey blabbing it started things. If you remember Kenny seemed completely surprised and even mentioned that Mickey was mistaken because Pav had a yr left on his contract. I think Mickey got some inside scoop and couldn't help himself and blabbed it

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I kind of think Mickey blabbing it started things. If you remember Kenny seemed completely surprised and even mentioned that Mickey was mistaken because Pav had a yr left on his contract. I think Mickey got some inside scoop and couldn't help himself and blabbed it

I think that too. I think Pavs would have waited to talk about it till probably after the playoffs (NHL wide) to announce it, but once it's out there you have to own it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I doubt Red Wings PR allowed Pavel to speak to Mitch Albom. Red Wings PR is terrible if they thought the storyline of Pavel Datsyuk leaving a week before playoffs begin would be a good idea.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt Red Wings PR allowed Pavel to speak to Mitch Albom. Red Wings PR is terrible if they thought the storyline of Pavel Datsyuk leaving a week before playoffs begin would be a good idea.

That is a later domino effect though. Really the Wings just should have found a way to not be getting blown out by Pittsburgh. In that scenario Mickey isn't trying to fill air-time and Daniels doesn't allow him to walk right over a landmine. :laugh:

One thing is for sure, right after that came out Datsyuk game went right in the toilet.

I mean we have beat Zetterberg to death over his finish. Well at one point in early/mid-march I remember the post saying Datsyuk had tied Zetterberg in points. Might have been when they were at 43 or 45 something around there. So Zetterberg actually finished the season from that point on with more points than Pavel as pathetic as that is.

Really miserable finish out of both guys. If you told me I would ever watch a series where Filppula would get the best of both Datsyuk and Zetterberg I think I might have died of laughter. Well it just happened and as it turns out it makes me want to cry.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Except they pretty much had to OK this story for a couple reasons: First Datsyuk has had no history of ever going to the media, even with consent of the management. He seems to be too loyal and too shy to seek out that kind of attention. Second Detroit media, especially Albom and the Free Press, wouldn't want to piss off the Ilitches. Their sports writing is one of their few huge draws on their site, why piss off the successful half of Detroit's sports teams?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That is a later domino effect though. Really the Wings just should have found a way to not be getting blown out by Pittsburgh. In that scenario Mickey isn't trying to fill air-time and Daniels doesn't allow him to walk right over a landmine. :laugh:

One thing is for sure, right after that came out Datsyuk game went right in the toilet.

I mean we have beat Zetterberg to death over his finish. Well at one point in early/mid-march I remember the post saying Datsyuk had tied Zetterberg in points. Might have been when they were at 43 or 45 something around there. So Zetterberg actually finished the season from that point on with more points than Pavel as pathetic as that is.

Really miserable finish out of both guys. If you told me I would ever watch a series where Filppula would get the best of both Datsyuk and Zetterberg I think I might have died of laughter. Well it just happened and as it turns out it makes me want to cry.

In the last 5 games, Datsyuk had 2 points. Zetterberg had 3.

In the last 10 games, Datsyuk had 7 points. Zetterberg had 6.

In the last 15 games, Datsyuk had 12 points. Zetterberg had 8.

From March on (19 games), Datsyuk had 13 points. Zetterberg had 9.

So maybe it was the last 5-10 games, but not really enough to change the narrative.

Except they pretty much had to OK this story for a couple reasons: First Datsyuk has had no history of ever going to the media, even with consent of the management. He seems to be too loyal and too shy to seek out that kind of attention. Second Detroit media, especially Albom and the Free Press, wouldn't want to piss off the Ilitches. Their sports writing is one of their few huge draws on their site, why piss off the successful half of Detroit's sports teams?

Yeah, I take the fact that Albom did a whole write-up on it as a sign that this was actually laid out by the Wings under their terms. And if you look at the piece, it comes off about as favorable as possible to both sides (outside of the caveat that the Wings wouldn't seek to move Datsyuk's cap hit, which I think was actually a miscalculated move on the Wings part).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In the last 5 games, Datsyuk had 2 points. Zetterberg had 3.

In the last 10 games, Datsyuk had 7 points. Zetterberg had 6.

In the last 15 games, Datsyuk had 12 points. Zetterberg had 8.

From March on (19 games), Datsyuk had 13 points. Zetterberg had 9.

So maybe it was the last 5-10 games, but not really enough to change the narrative.

Yeah, I take the fact that Albom did a whole write-up on it as a sign that this was actually laid out by the Wings under their terms. And if you look at the piece, it comes off about as favorable as possible to both sides (outside of the caveat that the Wings wouldn't seek to move Datsyuk's cap hit, which I think was actually a miscalculated move on the Wings part).

Thought we were posting in mid-march that they were tied at one point...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Mitch Albom doesn't care about what the Illitches think. He's the one that broke the story and got the exclusive interview. If the Red Wings really wanted Pavel to speak about going home after the season then why all of a sudden is Pavel now saying he isn't sure and is thinking about it? It's a confusing message. It's a storyline no PR team would ever want out there willingly. They would issue an official statement from Pavel explaining the situation to the media with a controlled message, or maybe even call a press conference. Giving the story as an exclusive to Mitch makes zero sense.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Mitch Albom doesn't care about what the Illitches think. He's the one that broke the story and got the exclusive interview. If the Red Wings really wanted Pavel to speak about going home after the season then why all of a sudden is Pavel now saying he isn't sure and is thinking about it? It's a confusing message. It's a storyline no PR team would ever want out there willingly. They would issue an official statement from Pavel explaining the situation to the media with a controlled message, or maybe even call a press conference. Giving the story as an exclusive to Mitch makes zero sense.

It does if there were other groups that wanted to break this in less favorable tones. This was as much of a puff piece as something this big could be. Also an official press release or conference right before the playoffs makes zero sense. There is less than no indication that Datsyuk went behind the organization's back to Albom to break this. Everything points to that this was leaked, probably by Mickey, and the Wings wanted to get ahead of this and the in depth article showing respect to all sides did a pretty fine job of it.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Those aren't the only two possibilities.

Playoffs notwithstanding, Datsyuk was the Wings best player this year. Assuming he walks away from his contract, they lose one of their best players for nothing but still get stuck with his $7 mill cap hit.

To get rid of that cap hit by trade, they'll likely have to give up picks and/or prospects. They should be acquiring picks right now, not giving them away.

Datsyuk is going to play the World Championships on those "non-existent ankles" and may likely play in Russia on them next year. He has a long off-season to recover. Datsyuk on the 2nd or 3rd line playing 15 minutes for 50 games is still much better for the Wings than him being in Russia while Detroit takes his cap hit.

The Red Wings would not have to give up hardly anything to move Datsyuk's one year of cap hit to a team that's just hitting the floor.

I don't know what Holland is on about with "we will absolutely not go that route", though.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Red Wings would not have to give up hardly anything to move Datsyuk's one year of cap hit to a team that's just hitting the floor.

I don't know what Holland is on about with "we will absolutely not go that route", though.

It would require Holland to do his job. The paper work alone would probably take up 1-2 holes worth of golf.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
If he leaves his legacy is forever tarnished to me. This is FAR worse than federov. Federov had no contract Dats leaving is a big middle finger to the fans and the team. If he was retiring that would be one thing but he is leaving us with the cap hit.

TheRedMachine

Feb 5, 2016
If he leaves his legacy is forever tarnished to me. This is FAR worse than federov. Federov had no contract Dats leaving is a big middle finger to the fans and the team. If he was retiring that would be one thing but he is leaving us with the cap hit.

I have the opposite opinion, Datsyuk even signing the 3 year deal showed how much he loves this team considering he wanted to go home at the time.

The guy wants to play back home and be with his daughter. He's worn down and maybe only has 1 year left in him. I say, thanks for the great memories Pav!!!

It's the fans who think Datsyuk owes them or the team something giving DATSYUK the middle finger, not the other way around.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site

This is funny. You're acting like he's leaving in his prime. Dude can't even skate out there and he's become a 3rd liner at best at this point and his legacy is "tarnished". You guys are unbelievable. We can sign Richards for 1 year at $8 mil so you can get the equivalent production and we will make him wear #13 so you can be happy.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

It sounds like he's backed off of that a little bit. I'll try to find the quote but I feel like I heard him say he'd explore it, but wouldn't give up prospects to do it.

It seems like he would need to throw in a pick or prospect, which is the opposite of what the Wings should be doing right now, so maybe he will just eat that $7 mill.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
This is funny. You're acting like he's leaving in his prime. Dude can't even skate out there and he's become a 3rd liner at best at this point and his legacy is "tarnished". You guys are unbelievable. We can sign Richards for 1 year at $8 mil so you can get the equivalent production and we will make him wear #13 so you can be happy.

He led our forwards in TOI/GP and points/GP, but yea, sure, he's a 3rd liner who can't even skate. I'm sure putting a sack of cash on the ice will be equally as effective as Pavel Datsyuk.

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
It sounds like he's backed off of that a little bit. I'll try to find the quote but I feel like I heard him say he'd explore it, but wouldn't give up prospects to do it.

It seems like he would need to throw in a pick or prospect, which is the opposite of what the Wings should be doing right now, so maybe he will just eat that $7 mill.

Here it is

TheRedMachine

Feb 5, 2016
He led our forwards in TOI/GP and points/GP, but yea, sure, he's a 3rd liner who can't even skate. I'm sure putting a sack of cash on the ice will be equally as effective as Pavel Datsyuk.

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

This says more about our team then it does about Datsyuks current skill level. If you think ( not saying you did/do ) he's still an elite first liner then idk what to say, other than Datsyuk is at this point a serviceable 2nd liner and great 3rd liner.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
This says more about our team then it does about Datsyuks current skill level. If you think ( not saying you did/do ) he's still an elite first liner then idk what to say, other than Datsyuk is at this point a serviceable 2nd liner and great 3rd liner.

So dats sucks and the fact he lead the team in scoring proves that he sucks. :huh: I love how anything positive the wings do is considered a bad thing. Because every time they do anything positive its dumb luck. :shakehead I think fans of our rivals like our year more. and no its not because they like winning. :shakehead

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Let's rewind a second and look at what I responded to:

"Dude can't even skate out there and he's become a 3rd liner at best at this point"

I like to think there is some middle ground between "can't skate" and "elite".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad