Datsyuk has accepted the invitation to go to the World Championship

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
You know the whole point of a contract is that it's a promise to do something for a certain length of time. Datsyuk agreed to it, that's all that should matter in Holland's eyes. When one guy breaks a contract you don't blame the one who gets ****ed by it. You blame the guy who broke it.

If that cap hit really does end up screwing us next year I'd be in favor of DRW suing Datsyuk.

Normally, that would be true, but given that the three years are each at different amounts, I think this was a Holland cap massaging special, just like the Franzen and Zetterberg contracts were cap circumvention (outlawed by the CBA going forward). In this case, without knowing what Dats wanted and what Holland thought he need for cap management, we can't really know whom to blame.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He was the highest paid player on the team. He didn't play like it.

Not disagreeing with you, but you have to admit. A 37 year old player on the tail end of his 7.5 million dollar cap hit can not be expected to produce 20 min a night flanked by Brad Richards and Darin Helm.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Normally, that would be true, but given that the three years are each at different amounts, I think this was a Holland cap massaging special, just like the Franzen and Zetterberg contracts were cap circumvention (outlawed by the CBA going forward). In this case, without knowing what Dats wanted and what Holland thought he need for cap management, we can't really know whom to blame.

I don't know how anyone can blame anyone other than Datsyuk. He went to the media for no apparent reason. Mr. Private life Private blabbed to Mickey Redmond, Mitch Albom and god knows who else. Yeah, those are good people to talk to if you don't want something to get out. :shakehead

Then when rumors get out, he feels it's a great time to tell everyone he's leaving. All he had to say is that it won't be talked about until after the season, period. It isn't like the Detroit media is like Montreal or Toronto.

If that's not bad enough, when he starts to take a little heat, he and his agent go into defense mode and then act like oh, wait no decisions been made. Then his agent, who is yanno, his agent says they didn't know they could go year to year. Isn't that kind of Sportsagent 101 to know stuff like the over 35 clause? I don't even think his agent is an agent. Because of bonuses Pavel has already collected the majority of the money in his contract.

Now the Wings are out, he doesn't score a single point and now he can be with his beloved daughter. Nope, he wants to play more hockey for Russia.

I get the hate for Holland. I get the love for Datsyuk as a player and his talent and all he's done for the Wings. But he's been a total DB about this situation. He's saying and doing 2 different things.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

There's obviously mitigating personal factors for Datsyuk, but only one of the two parties is breaking the contract. Figuring out who to blame isn't that difficult to me.

It's 100% Datsyuk. Now, whether someone is mad at him or holds it against him is a whole other thing.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don't know how anyone can blame anyone other than Datsyuk. He went to the media for no apparent reason. Mr. Private life Private blabbed to Mickey Redmond, Mitch Albom and god knows who else. Yeah, those are good people to talk to if you don't want something to get out. :shakehead

Then when rumors get out, he feels it's a great time to tell everyone he's leaving. All he had to say is that it won't be talked about until after the season, period. It isn't like the Detroit media is like Montreal or Toronto.

If that's not bad enough, when he starts to take a little heat, he and his agent go into defense mode and then act like oh, wait no decisions been made. Then his agent, who is yanno, his agent says they didn't know they could go year to year. Isn't that kind of Sportsagent 101 to know stuff like the over 35 clause? I don't even think his agent is an agent. Because of bonuses Pavel has already collected the majority of the money in his contract.

Now the Wings are out, he doesn't score a single point and now he can be with his beloved daughter. Nope, he wants to play more hockey for Russia.

I get the hate for Holland. I get the love for Datsyuk as a player and his talent and all he's done for the Wings. But he's been a total DB about this situation. He's saying and doing 2 different things.

Holland wouldn't go a 1 year deal. Datsyuk thought he could finish it out. And then realized 1-2 years later that he missed his daughter

It's just as much fault holland as it is datsyuk.

And he's probably helping the wings out by leaving. So

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Holland wouldn't go a 1 year deal. Datsyuk thought he could finish it out. And then realized 1-2 years later that he missed his daughter

Is there a source stating Holland wouldn't go 1-year deals with Datsyuk? I hadn't heard that.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
There's obviously mitigating personal factors for Datsyuk, but only one of the two parties is breaking the contract. Figuring out who to blame isn't that difficult to me.

It's 100% Datsyuk. Now, whether someone is mad at him or holds it against him is a whole other thing.

No, it's not. If Holland said he wanted a third year to manage the cap, then it's on him. Dats may even have said he only wanted two years, but we don't know, do we?

This has classical Holland cap massaging written all over it when you look at the annual breakdown. If all three years paid out the same amount, I'd agree with you, so you have to ask yourself why it's a frontloaded contract when it's only three years long.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014

That's not true. If Holland did one year deals with Lidstrom, why wouldn't he with Datsyuk? He did one year deals with Cleary for 3 seasons in order to fulfill some imaginary promise in order to fit him under the cap, why wouldn't he with Datsyuk? If Pavel misses his daughter sooooooooo much, why is he playing in the World Championships? Why is he returning to Detroit to do a hockey camp? Why has he only spent a few weeks during the summer in Russia when he has had nearly 5 months off. He's not backing up his words with actions.

Leaving the Wings with a 7.5 million cap hit is not helpful to anyone. He would be breaking his contract by playing in the KHL while still under contract in the NHL.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

I disagree with your entire post. See my post just above this one.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
No, it's not. If Holland said he wanted a third year to manage the cap, then it's on him. Dats may even have said he only wanted two years, but we don't know, do we?

This has classical Holland cap massaging written all over it when you look at the annual breakdown. If all three years paid out the same amount, I'd agree with you, so you have to ask yourself why it's a frontloaded contract when it's only three years long.

It's not Holland cap, it's NHL gm cap. It's what you have to do when a player wants a certain amount of money. Its how you have to do it in this day and age. The reason its 3 years long is because Datsyuk wanted that much money and could only get it by doing a three year deal. Pavel could have played for a lot less money if he was only concerned about his daughter :shakehead But it's not about the money.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Why all the whining and ridiculous speculations? Nobody here knows a thing about the contract negotiations. At the time of the signing Datsyuk could have told Holland that he is 110% in to play 3 more years.

If Datsyuk leaves then whatever, does it really matter? Were we going to win the cup next year or something? 95% of this board wants a rebuild anyway. Well, now we have 7.5 mill of dead cap space. That's exactly what you want for a rebuild.

This team isn't winning anything with or without Datsyuk next year. It only effects us for one year.

Datsyuk was a great player for this team for many years. For whatever reason he left and it just happen to be during a time it doesn't even matter if he is he or not next year. If he did this to a contending team then maybe it would be different. If we decide to dump the cap we will be able to rid ourselves of it very easily. Out of market teams will be lined up to take a 1 year 7.5 million cap hit.

There is no issue here and nothing further to figure out regarding this subject. The only thing we should be concerned about is if Holland is going to trade that cap hit and sign a couple not so appetizing veterans and try to make the playoffs again.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
That's not true. If Holland did one year deals with Lidstrom, why wouldn't he with Datsyuk? He did one year deals with Cleary for 3 seasons in order to fulfill some imaginary promise in order to fit him under the cap, why wouldn't he with Datsyuk? If Pavel misses his daughter sooooooooo much, why is he playing in the World Championships? Why is he returning to Detroit to do a hockey camp? Why has he only spent a few weeks during the summer in Russia when he has had nearly 5 months off. He's not backing up his words with actions.

Leaving the Wings with a 7.5 million cap hit is not helpful to anyone. He would be breaking his contract by playing in the KHL while still under contract in the NHL.

K it's called cap management. If Datsyuk signed 1 year deals we would have been hit with say a 10 million cap hit. He went 3 years and took the hit down to 7.5. Holland did what was needed.

If we went year to year with Pavel we wouldn't have been able to re sign Dan Cleary. :sarcasm:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

True, we don't know what Datsyuk said. What we do know is what he did, which is that he agreed to a 3-year contract.

If Holland said he wanted a third year and Datsyuk agreed to it in spite of only wanting to play two, that's still on Datsyuk.

It's a 35+ contract so Holland would get stuck with the cap hit no matter how he structured the annual breakdown.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

entirely possible.

But then maybe datsyuk should have asked for less money if he wanted one year deals.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Again it's called cap management. 1 year deals wouldn't have worked.

So if we could just drop it already.....

fact is we do not know what went on with negotiations. so this "holland wouldn't do 1 year deal" stuff is all assumptions and speculations. All we know for sure is that datsyuk signed a 3 year deal

it seems like one year deals certainly could have worked if datsyuk asked for less money if cap management was the issue

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
It's one. God. Damn. ****ing. Year.

Who. ****ing. CARES.

We are NOT winning the Cup next year. We could feasibly miss the playoffs next year even if Datsyuk plays.

Jesus Christ. The dude is not skipping out because he hates us. He is physically and emotionally unable to play here anymore, and we have no reason to question him after what he's done for us.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Cleary is meh

Guarantee you holland didn't want to go one year deals cause lidstrom left on him and it didn't hurt the team

Guarantee you he thought. If I sign him to a 3 year. No way he leaves me. There's no way

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
To be honest, some of the vitriol being spewed towards Datsyuk in this thread is embarrassing.

Anyone doing it should be embarrassed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Uhh what ?! :help:

What does suing him accomplish? It's a mickey mouse move that would damage the rep of the organization.

If Datsyuk doesn't play for us, he doesn't get paid. period. And if he doesn't want to play in America no lawsuit will change that.

Moreover, Datysuk is a human being FFS, circumstances change. Besides, a contract is not an obligation to play or "work". He is a free man who can do whatever he wants. The contract merely dictates the terms under which he could work under, if he were so inclined. That's it.

There are no grounds to sue him even if it made sense.

It protects the league. You don't think the standard NHL contract in this day in age especially after the KHL came into existence has a non-compete clause in it. Even if it didn't the leagues have a memorandum of understanding about players under contract.

They should do it in the interest of the league and their partners so this crap doesn't play out with Tarasenko, Malkin or Ovie at some point.

Either way, he wants to play so wish him luck. Guess his ankles are not that bad eh?

This picture continues to evolve into something that I don't like. It is in Russia so this isn't surprising.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Because Datsyuk wanted 10 million up front?

Sorry if the idea is to call Datsyuk an idiot and his agent an idiot fine. But what contract have you ever signed in life without understanding, especially if you have a person right next to you that is supposed to understand every part of it as you are paying him a small fortune just to get it. That seems to be what is being claimed. I for one don't buy it. Sorry not getting there. He might have had a change of heart and maybe Holland should have protected himself by back-loading the contract. But I still find this situation falls at the feet of Datsyuk.

If he really wanted 1 year deals he could have bluntly only taken that. We watched Lidstrom do it. He was okay with the cap massaging and wanted the money more than likely. Only a couple people know, but pretty universally those of us that are over 18 understand unequivocally what signing your name to an agreement is.

Love Datsyuk, but I can take that out of this situation. It doesn't come off well for him at all. This has been an unmitigated disaster and seems to be continuing down that path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad