Injury Report: Datsyuk back Thursday

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
So we forgive Stevie because he "carried" a team with 10+ Hall of Famers to the Cup but if Datsyuk loses the Cup with a team struggling to make the playoffs then we throw him under the bus?

Well alright :laugh:

Yeah, "carried". On that team with 10+ Hall of Famers Yzerman led the team in play-off scoring by four points while playing on that one knee. And its not even about winning the Cup right now, it's about making the play-offs.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
FYI

datsyuk coming back is still not a for sure thing yet.

he Detroit Red Wings are hopeful that Pavel Datsyuk will return to the lineup Thursday in Florida.

“He’s going to decide Thursday morning,” general manager Ken Holland said on Tuesday. “If he has a good day (of practice on Wednesday) and a good morning skate on Thursday, as long as there’s no setbacks, we’re hopeful.”

Datsyuk has missed 14 games with some sort of knee issue. He has skated frequently since his last game – the Jan. 1 Winter Classic – but also experienced a setback that kept him off the ice for a few days.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_hopeful_pavel_datsyu.html

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me thinks he is only doing this because he doesn't want Wings fans/management to think he is being selfish, and that team Russia is more important to him. In a way, if this is the case, then I'm fine with it. The Wings are paying him millions of dollars to play hockey, Russia isn't. So I think he's gonna suck it up, and play hurt to show loyalty to the organization.

I understand its in Russia, and he's the captain, but my selfish side wants him to skip out on the Olympics altogether. I'm just hoping he can comes back healthy after the Olympics. This team is not making the playoffs without Datsyuk in the stretch run. Yes, the team has been better lately, but the Eastern Conference is heating up, and we will need about 32 points in the final 26 games to get in, maybe even more depending how hot our competition plays. That won't be easy (16-10 or something like 15-9-2)

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
to be quite honest Datsyuk owes nothing to this organization at this point. He's going to be a one team player here and clearly loves the organization as well as the fans. Even if he's resting up for the Olympics I can't be too upset... it could be his last shot at a gold and he already has two Cups. Plus he's still here for several more years, and Russia has a much better chance at Gold than we do at a Cup. Plus, he's the captain of the home team... pretty big deal.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
to be quite honest Datsyuk owes nothing to this organization at this point. He's going to be a one team player here and clearly loves the organization as well as the fans. Even if he's resting up for the Olympics I can't be too upset... it could be his last shot at a gold and he already has two Cups. Plus he's still here for several more years, and Russia has a much better chance at Gold than we do at a Cup. Plus, he's the captain of the home team... pretty big deal.

that's just silly

he's a professional being paid almost 7 million dollars this year to play for the Red Wings,he absolutely owes the organization a good faith effort at playing if he's healthy instead of "resting up" for a short tournament

not saying he would do anything of the sort but jeez

Last edited:

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Frankly you're not the one paying him. The people who ARE paying him say it's okay, so no, he owes nothing.
Plus it's not really within anyone's right to say he's not giving it a good faith effort. He may have legitimately been not well enough to play up until now.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
that's just silly

he's a professional being paid almost 7 million dollars this year to play for the Red Wings,he absolutely owes the organization a good faith effort at playing if he's healthy instead of "resting up" for a short tournament

not saying he would do anything of the sort but jeez

and I knew this would be the reply. What is he doing? Coming back too soon or taking it easy so he can go to Sochi? Asking him to not participate in Sochi makes sense from an organizational standpoint but it's honestly far too much to ask of an athlete at the point of the career Pavel is at.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm surprised by the projected line-up's given here. Our #1 /#2 center is returning soon, and he'll start on a wing with Helm and Eaves, on a 3rd line! :laugh: I hope not.

Hey the "kid" line has been awesome and this entire opportunity has been great for them and the team. I think we've learned a LOT about these players the last few games. Sheahan is looking better than Andersson. Tatar should easily play on a 1st or 2nd line. Jurco has made a decently solid case to replace Eaves or Miller as a possibility. That said we don't have to be that attached to 1 line going forward, though I see the rationale management probably has.

To mix it up, how about-

Z-D-Nyquist, or Tatar-D-Alfie. Hell even Tatar-D-Jurco. Datsyuk shouldn't have to be chained with Helm and Alfredsson as an afterthought. Don't get me wrong, a Helm-D- Alfie combo is intriguing. I know it's not a terrible line I just want only the best possible players that fit or may fit with Datsyuk. He has earned it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm surprised by the projected line-up's given here. Our #1 /#2 center is returning soon, and he'll start on a wing with Helm and Eaves, on a 3rd line! :laugh: I hope not.

Hey the "kid" line has been awesome and this entire opportunity has been great for them and the team. I think we've learned a LOT about these players the last few games. Sheahan is looking better than Andersson. Tatar should easily play on a 1st or 2nd line. Jurco has made a decently solid case to replace Eaves or Miller as a possibility. That said we don't have to be that attached to 1 line going forward, though I see the rationale management probably has.

To mix it up, how about-

Z-D-Nyquist, or Tatar-D-Alfie. Hell even Tatar-D-Jurco. Datsyuk shouldn't have to be chained with Helm and Alfredsson as an afterthought. Don't get me wrong, a Helm-D- Alfie combo is intriguing. I know it's not a terrible line I just want only the best possible players that fit or may fit with Datsyuk. He has earned it.
Some people are way too high on Eaves. He's got a good shot but he's very bad at getting into position to actually use it. Definitely don't want him anywhere near Datsyuk's wing unless we're decimated by injuries.

I think the idea here though is that with only 2 games left until the break, why throw everything into a blender and hope what comes out is as good as what we've seen lately? Helm-Datsyuk-Alfie could actually be a great line. Even if Datsyuk's knee is 100% his conditioning won't be, so let him play 2nd/3rd line minutes. If he looks great and feels good, increase his minutes and possibly move him up to Z's line for Saturday's game.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Guessing the NHL and NHLPA won't care about that.

I don't doubt NHL could care less, they usually do. But one tournament is held by the international federation, the other one by a league.

It will be no different than the World Championships (which does get some NHL talent) but really it will just be the European countries able to trot out the NA excuses the other way. Enough guys within the NHL and AHL to piece these teams together, chances are you see more talent actually available than for the World Championships regardless.

The entire point of the tournament is to ice it best on best, not best on best for three countries. I don't see the prestige in not having the truly best and why it would be worthwhile in that case. World Champs are there to broaden the sport, World Cup's there to showcase the sport. But I digress.. We shouldn't compare apples to oranges anyway.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, "carried". On that team with 10+ Hall of Famers Yzerman led the team in play-off scoring by four points while playing on that one knee. And its not even about winning the Cup right now, it's about making the play-offs.

Either way, it's not a fair comparison.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
I guess I am a little shocked at some of the responses in this thread. Dats has always been an honest and hard working player for Detroit. Yet, people here think he isn't healthy. Then you have the people here who think he was milking the injury to get healthy for the Olympics. It really all comes down to trust.

I trust that Dats is healthy enough to play. I also trust that Dats is ready to do his part to bring the Russians a medal. I also trust that Dats isn't shunning his contract or duties here for Detroit by choosing to play this week and then going to Sochi.

I guess I am just a little shocked by some of the self-centered and non-trustworthy responses being pointed at Datsyuk. Especially after all these years of hard work and dedication to the organization and fans.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2m
Datsyuk said he feels good and will make final determination on whether he can play after the morning skate.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Was just listening the 1130 and Regner was saying that it's Pavel's left knee that is "messed up" and that there's no way he should have even played in the Winter Classic. But Pavel thought he owed it to the fans.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Pretty reliable. He's been covering the Wings for years.

if that indeed is true, it makes some posters claims here pretty hilarious/pathetic.

i wonder what they are going to do with him. they have to fix it eventually, as he has 3 more years left on his deal. less confident about this year and wouldn't make push at deadline unless they are sure that pavs leg will be healthy this season.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I really hope Pasha is back. I am going to the RW at TBL game this saturday. I live in the greater Tampa Bay area. Last game Z was out and the redwings lost. Cleary, Sammy, and Bert were all in the line up and it was a doozie. Now with all the youth playing, Z, and possibly Datsyuk playing; I cannot wait for the puck to drop on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad