Injury Report: Datsyuk back Thursday

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Detroit will need to make a roster move. With Weiss and Franzen on IR, I'm assuming Detroit isn't quite in a crunch. Thus they're likely moves include sending down Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening or Eaves. Sheahan isn't going anywhere yet. Eaves would have to go through waivers, but he's unlikely to get claimed. Babcock likes Glendening and he plays PK, but the Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar has been real good lately and has gotten a lot more ice time than the 4th line. With Andersson playing a role that he's not really suited for, I believe moving him to the 4th line center makes the most sense. Put Pavel in his spot, and either send down Glendening or Eaves.

I think Jurco can be sent down, he's been good, but hasn't been producing at a clip that forces the coach to keep him here. I think he's going to be awesome, but he can be replaced by the injured guys.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So then was Babcock out to lunch in his "skating on one leg" comments?
Babcock isn't a doctor. I didn't think that comment sounded promising either, but he's really the only one who has said something like that. Datsyuk isn't going to play on one leg. Stamkos is targeting a saturday return, you think he's anywhere near 100%? This board either thinks guys are faking injuries or returning too soon.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Babcock isn't a doctor. I didn't think that comment sounded promising either, but he's really the only one who has said something like that. Datsyuk isn't going to play on one leg. Stamkos is targeting a saturday return, you think he's anywhere near 100%? This board either thinks guys are faking injuries or returning too soon.

Do I think Stamkos is at 100%, not a chance.

This is unfortunately part of what happens during an Olympic year. Happens every Olympic year and will continue to.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I think Jurco can be sent down, he's been good, but hasn't been producing at a clip that forces the coach to keep him here. I think he's going to be awesome, but he can be replaced by the injured guys.

Yeah there's a good chance he's the player sent down, but I think the team is better with Eaves or Glendening sent down first. Jurco hasn't put up great numbers, but his board play and physicality have been pleasant surprises and are part or his lines' success IMO. Keep that line together, which has been good and you improve 2 other lines by simply adding Datsyuk and moving Andersson to center. Every point matters at this point in time. I'm all about utilizing the roster and lineup the best we can.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I have my doubts that the NHL will participate in 2018, in fact if I had to place a bet it would be that they are not going.

There has been the talk about a World Cup in August 2016 before the NHL season.

That would be fine, I think NHL is very interested in bringing that tournament back, because it's one way to raise NHL's overall income and raise the business.

And if we'll have a tournament like that in 2016, they can pretty easily say, "we'll pass the 2018 Olympics because we are having the next World Cup at 2020" and so on...

...before the Olympics are again at North America.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Datsyuk really needs to ask himself a serious question, 'Am I going to Sochi for the right reasons?' 'Is there someone who can do a better job than me?'

I really hope this decision doesn't hurt this team significantly. If he plays subpar for rest for the season, and if Wings miss playoff, I dont think I will be able to forgive him to be brutally honest.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

The Wings aren't exactly over-flowing with big, skilled wingers with scoring potential that play with speed and intensity. They do have an over-abundance of defensively sound, low-scoring 3rd and 4th line centers. I'd much rather kick Glendening down while Helm, Andersson and Abdelkader are around than lose Jurco.

If all are healthy the Wings' options at center look like: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Sheahan, Helm, Andersson, Glendening and Abdelkader (hell, even Franzen can play center), so sending Glendening down does nothing to weaken the team while healthy. The wing position does not have nearly as many interchangeable parts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Datsyuk really needs to ask himself a serious question, 'Am I going to Sochi for the right reasons?' 'Is there someone who can do a better job than me?'

I really hope this decision doesn't hurt this team significantly. If he plays subpar for rest for the season, and if Wings miss playoff, I dont think I will be able to forgive him to be brutally honest.

I can forgive him for the home Olympics aspect, similar to how I forgave Yzerman for all the years he put in and basically played the Olympics hurt then sat on the shelf until the playoffs. Of course in that scenario we won the Cup and he won the Gold, so the risk assessment really worked out bang on for Stevie.

Some of this will go into if Russia flames out on home ice and Dats stays banged up. What you listed is the worst case scenario kind of, but Datsyuk has really earned the right to make his decision.

What I won't do is have much sympathy if it doesn't work out, different than non-forgiveness, I understand the reasons behind it, but he better not make a peep about it being unfortunate if it fails miserably for him. Maybe that is semantics in terms of the wording for some but that is how I feel right now.

I get the feeling he is heading towards off-season surgery regardless of what he does the rest of the year.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
The Wings aren't exactly over-flowing with big, skilled wingers with scoring potential that play with speed and intensity. They do have an over-abundance of defensively sound, low-scoring 3rd and 4th line centers. I'd much rather kick Glendening down while Helm, Andersson and Abdelkader are around than lose Jurco.

If all are healthy the Wings' options at center look like: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Sheahan, Helm, Andersson, Glendening and Abdelkader (hell, even Franzen can play center), so sending Glendening down does nothing to weaken the team while healthy. The wing position does not have nearly as many interchangeable parts.

I'm pretty sure Andersson is the first one to go down to GR.

What I saw from Glendening last night was pretty good especailly during PK. I havent seen enough of him honestly but I think he could develop in to one of Wings best PKer other than Miller.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't blame Datsyuk at all. I mean the guy already has two cups. He has a chance to captain his national team during their home Olympics and potentially win a gold. I don't think most players would sit out if there were in his position.

As someone pointed out there is basically what Yzerman did. We can only hope that this works out as well for Dats as it did for Stevie.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

To answer the question "is there someone who can do a better job than me?" No, I don't think so. Russia isn't Canada, not great center depth.

As an American, I won't pretend to act like I know how much the Olympics mean to Datsyuk. And to be named captain and have it on his home soil is a once in a lifetime thing. So to say it slightly, it's a big deal for him.

Datsyuk has given me enough joy as a Red Wing fan that I could never hold it against him. The same way I never hated Fedorov when he left.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Gus-Z-Abs
Alfie-Helm-D
Kids
GEM

Maybe switch Helm and Datsyuk, but I wouldn't mind him on the wing to take some of the load off him initially.

I want Glendening in for Andersson, but if not, switch those two.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I can forgive him for the home Olympics aspect, similar to how I forgave Yzerman for all the years he put in and basically played the Olympics hurt then sat on the shelf until the playoffs. Of course in that scenario we won the Cup and he won the Gold, so the risk assessment really worked out bang on for Stevie.

Some of this will go into if Russia flames out on home ice and Dats stays banged up. What you listed is the worst case scenario kind of, but Datsyuk has really earned the right to make his decision.

What I won't do is have much sympathy if it doesn't work out, different than non-forgiveness, I understand the reasons behind it, but he better not make a peep about it being unfortunate if it fails miserably for him. Maybe that is semantics in terms of the wording for some but that is how I feel right now.

I get the feeling he is heading towards off-season surgery regardless of what he does the rest of the year.

Datsyuk definitely earned his right to make the decision.

however, we all understand his decision may cost this club dearly. I'm not talking as if sky is falling tomorrow. What I'm talking is a very plausible scenario.

I'm just saying Datsyuk must consider the situation and consequences. I admire his patriotism but I'm afraid it is clouding him to make a better decision for himself, his coutnry and this team.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm pretty sure Andersson is the first one to go down to GR.

What I saw from Glendening last night was pretty good especailly during PK. I havent seen enough of him honestly but I think he could develop in to one of Wings best PKer other than Miller.

Glendening can go down without going through waivers. Andersson would have to be waived and I'm not sure he would clear. Why take that chance?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
This is exciting news. If the team doctors say he is cleared to play then he is cleared to play. They don't pay these guys for nothing. I mean Stamkos is gonna be back to when we go play Tampa on Saturday so we're not the only team bringing back their star players right before the Olympics.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Great news, hope they aren't rushing it though.

Andersson isn't going. However, it's time he gets back to the middle. Let Helm play some wing, maybe he can find some confidence in his offense again.

And you don't split the Z and Sheahan lines at this point, that would make no sense.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Helm-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Andersson-Eaves

I really hope they opt to give Jurco the longer look. He's the future, and he could make a big impact already next season. He's already showing great improvement.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
There has been the talk about a World Cup in August 2016 before the NHL season.

That would be fine, I think NHL is very interested in bringing that tournament back, because it's one way to raise NHL's overall income and raise the business.

And if we'll have a tournament like that in 2016, they can pretty easily say, "we'll pass the 2018 Olympics because we are having the next World Cup at 2020" and so on...

...before the Olympics are again at North America.

Will the players want their off-season reduced by 2-3 weeks, though? That would be especially tough on the star players of teams that went deep into the playoffs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Will the players want their off-season reduced by 2-3 weeks, though? That would be especially tough on the star players of teams that went deep into the playoffs.

Don't know. Maybe it could be completed during the training camps/pre-season? World Cup invites would not join in their team camps... so the summer break would be almost normal.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This is what I am assuming will happen, play it the last two weeks of September.

But then only USA, Canada and Sweden can compete. KHL starts in the beginning of september. I don't see why European leagues would ever take a break for a tournament that gives cash to the NHL, and I'm thinking they won't be interested in sharing..

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If days plays hurt and screws over the drw and doesn't win the gold and the cup then the comparison to Stevie is wrong

We forgive Stevie because he carried the team on one leg to the cup and nothing less.

Play all he wants but if he's hurt well he best win us a cup

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But then only USA, Canada and Sweden can compete. KHL starts in the beginning of september. I don't see why European leagues would ever take a break for a tournament that gives cash to the NHL, and I'm thinking they won't be interested in sharing..

Guessing the NHL and NHLPA won't care about that. It will be no different than the World Championships (which does get some NHL talent) but really it will just be the European countries able to trot out the NA excuses the other way.

Enough guys within the NHL and AHL to piece these teams together, chances are you see more talent actually available than for the World Championships regardless.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If days plays hurt and screws over the drw and doesn't win the gold and the cup then the comparison to Stevie is wrong

We forgive Stevie because he carried the team on one leg to the cup and nothing less.

Play all he wants but if he's hurt well he best win us a cup

So we forgive Stevie because he "carried" a team with 10+ Hall of Famers to the Cup but if Datsyuk loses the Cup with a team struggling to make the playoffs then we throw him under the bus?

Well alright :laugh:

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Honestly, I don't think it matters to datsyuk who "forgives" him and who doesn't. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to him and I respect him enough for what he has done to the red wings to not mind if this is what he wants to do.

Everyone is losing it over something that might not even happen. And even if it does, it's his choice and I'll respect him for it either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad