L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Hmm.

Dats-Z-Gator
Jurco-Sheahan-Tats
Alfie-Helm-Nyquist
Miller-Andersson-Eaves

On the 2nd thought, may not wanna break up the 1st line.

Just put Dats on Helm's wing on the 3rd line.

Last edited:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'd like to see:

Gus-Z-Abs
Alf-Pav-Andersson
Tats-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Eaves

Mainly, I want Helm off of Alfredsson's line. One, Helm isn't the right type of center for Alfredsson, he's killing Alf's production, and, two, Alfredsson draws better defenders than Helm should be playing against. Helm needs to be on a 3rd or 4th line where he over-matches the opposition. He can't do that with Alfredsson on his wing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'd like to see:

Gus-Z-Abs
Alf-Pav-Andersson
Tats-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Eaves

Mainly, I want Helm off of Alfredsson's line. One, Helm isn't the right type of center for Alfredsson, he's killing Alf's production, and, two, Alfredsson draws better defenders than Helm should be playing against. Helm needs to be on a 3rd or 4th line where he over-matches the opposition. He can't do that with Alfredsson on his wing.

Andersson isn't much of a winger but other than that, lines look about as good as they will.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'd like to see:

Gus-Z-Abs
Alf-Pav-Andersson
Tats-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Eaves

Disagree, helm and Alfie make a good combo. Abby-helm-alfie as the 2nd line a few months back was money

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Ken Holland said, barring a setback, Pavel Datsyuk will return Thursday in Florida. He'll decide after the morning skate on Thursday.

Dekemeister

Sep 12, 2010
I should be excited, but I'm not. Just a couple of days ago we hear he's only on one leg at practice

This is a pretty big risk. I understand why he wants to play a couple before Sochi, I also understand why he won't sit out, but I don't like the situation

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I respect Pavel enough to not think he's coming back now to prove he's healthy enough for the Olympics and he's actually back because he's ready to contribute to the Red Wings.

(Right?)

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Disagree, helm and Alfie make a good combo. Abby-helm-alfie as the 2nd line a few months back was money

Think that's probably been our worst line. Helm and Alfie do not compliment each other well imo. Helm is not a good passer and Alfie isn't quite able to create his own shots anymore. Alfie needs a setup guy like Pav to fully utilize his shot. Helm is trying to go full speed end to end while Alfie is trying to slow things down. They had like 3 offsides on good rushes last night because of it. Just not a great fit.

I think they should play Alfie on his off wing with Pav which will open some more shooting lanes for him.

Abby-Hank-Nyquist
Alfie-Pav-Eaves
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Glenny/Andy

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Think that's probably been our worst line. Helm and Alfie do not compliment each other well imo. Helm is not a good passer and Alfie isn't quite able to create his own shots anymore. Alfie needs a setup guy like Pav to fully utilize his shot. Helm is trying to go full speed end to end while Alfie is trying to slow things down. They had like 3 offsides on good rushes last night because of it. Just not a great fit.

I think they should play Alfie on his off wing with Pav which will open some more shooting lanes for him.

Abby-Hank-Nyquist
Alfie-Pav-Eaves
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Glenny/Andy

i'd switch jurco and eaves. and maybe put helm there on 3rd line wing.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The team has been fine without him so why rush back? Unless he feels he won't be anymore ready for this game than the one Saturday against Tampa Bay...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's not someone that absolutely HAS to play before the Olympics, if he's not ready he could just sit out these two games and still go there and play in the first or second game. The "skating on one leg" comments are from Babcock and are probably overblown, other reports have said he's been skating hard lately and starting to feel better.

As for lines, can't we just switch Helm to wing? Scratch Andy, roll Helm-Dats-Alfie as 2nd line. Don't want to break up the Z or Sheahan lines right now.
Alternatively I'd just insert Pav with Z, give us a 'legit' 1st line and move Abby down to Helm's wing. Either way, I want Andersson or Eaves out of the lineup, they're the most expendable guys.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
i'd switch jurco and eaves. and maybe put helm there on 3rd line wing.

Just don't wanna break the kid line up. Eaves has that great shot, if there's anyone who could help take advantage of it it's Pavel. Plus he's a solid two way player, can grind in the corners a little. Think he'd be a good fit, two really good shots paired with the team's best setup guy.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Nyquist-Z-Dats
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Alfie
Miller-Andersson-Glendening

Maybe not ideal having Alfie on 3rd line but they've been passable together. More importantly that 2nd line stays together and Datsyuk and Zetterberg play together, with Datsyuk being eased back in on the wing.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'd almost rather Datsyuk rest until he attempts to play in Soshi. I want him near 100% later in the season. Unless of course his injury simply cannot be further damaged, then sure - suit up.

As far as Thursday's lines, why break up Z's unit and Sheahan's unit? Abdelkader has been really good in that role lately alongside Z and Nyquist (and I'm a guy who hasn't loved him in the top 6.)

So put Andy back to center in the 4th line and send Eaves or Glendening down:

Abdelkader-Z-Nyquist
Datsyuk-Helm-Alfie
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Andersson-Eaves/Glendening

Alfie has the patience and skill for Datsyuk and Helm has the skating and forechecking to help his likely limited skating.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd almost rather Datsyuk rest until he attempts to play in Soshi. I want him near 100% later in the season. Unless of course his injury simply cannot be further damaged, then sure - suit up.

As far as Thursday's lines, why break up Z's unit and Sheahan's unit? Abdelkader has been really good in that role lately alongside Z and Nyquist (and I'm a guy who hasn't loved him in the top 6.)

So put Andy back to center in the 4th line and send Eaves or Glendening down:

Abdelkader-Z-Nyquist
Datsyuk-Helm-Alfie
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Andersson-Eaves/Glendening

Alfie has the patience and skill for Datsyuk and Helm has the skating and forechecking to help his likely limited skating.

I know you love Helm, but Sheahan looks way better suited to be a top 6 center than Helm right now. In terms of skill set.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm wondering if whatever is wrong is something he can play through, if he can manage the pain, but will require surgery at some point to fix. I'd guess he's maybe blown out a ligament.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don't like this. It doesn't seem like he's healthy.

If he actually is, though, that's awesome and a big help for these last 2 games.

With him, this is what I'd do:

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Datsyuk-Helm-Alfredsson
Miller-Glendening-Eaves

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I know you love Helm, but Sheahan looks way better suited to be a top 6 center than Helm right now. In terms of skill set.

Sheahan also looks like a center who Jurco and Tatar are comfortable playing with right now. Why not even try Datsyuk with Helm and Alfie? If it doesn't work then you have options, but like I said, two of our units have been real good lately and those would be Z's and Sheahan's.

I think Andy's game on wing is not suited for Alfie and Helm. In addition all 3 are still getting their timing back from injuries. But regardless, Datsyuk is an obvious upgrade over Andy, especially with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad