TSN: Darren Dreger

Dreger is a credible insider

• Total voters

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
He's a f***ing joke, thats what he is. And he gets paid for it, big time.
+ the bonus of Marners contract, which I'm 100% sure he will get from Ferris.

Reactions: Azazel

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
are there any recent examples as to when his speculations actually result in something concrete? I personally have just begun to ignore his speculations unless others are corroborating his reports

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
are there any recent examples as to when his speculations actually result in something concrete? I personally have just begun to ignore his speculations unless others are corroborating his reports

He was first to report the Johnsson extension and the actual numbers to that extension. While it hasn't been made official yet, every other "insider" are reporting the same.

He's connected. There's nothing to suggest he isn't.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
He was first to report the Johnsson extension and the actual numbers to that extension. While it hasn't been made official yet, every other "insider" are reporting the same.

He's connected. There's nothing to suggest he isn't.

I dont disagree that he is connected, however it has been difficult to really substantiate the degree of seriousness to his rumors. a lot is click bate. Considering the marner speculation is in regards to strictly posturing at this point, seeing as nothing has yet to be tabled its easy to just ignore

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
"Well, speaking to those familiar with the (issue) it seems like there is a possibility of (option 1) happening. But, that's not to say (option 2) is out of the question. Make no mistake, (state the obvious like player x wants to play hockey next season), but cap considerations are a major factor here. "

"Great insight Darren, thank you "

He probably still has sources but it gets harder and harder to take him seriously.

Reactions: 81Leafs50 and Torgo

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Brian Hayes needs to get Dreger on Overdrive to play the "Who'd you rather have?" game that he's done with O'dog, Noodles, and Siegel. It's unsurprising that when it comes down to it, not only does everyone takes the dominant centre over the dominant winger, but the goal scoring wingers like Pastrnak did well as well.

HA, Siegel chose Marner over Point and O-Dog played the insider and said his sources tell him that Point is TBs best player game in and game out.
Hayes nailed him and asked who is telling you Point is better than Kutcherov and he backed right off.

These guys are entertainment only. O'Neil answered Mulroney when asked who was Canada's first PM for frigs sake.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Dregger is annoying. He has some insite on some stuff but some of it is just over the top.Peirre Lebraun and Bob McKenzie are more credible.Dregger should just go work for the Leafs as he is a total Leaf lover.

Thervguy

Oct 22, 2016
Bob Mckenzie is the only insider I listen to. The rest are just mouth pieces.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
GM's probably turn the other way and duck into a dark corner when they see Dreger coming.

"shhhh, hope he doesn't see us. The guys an idiot".

Probably like trying to shake the little weird kid that followed you home from school.

"Hey is that Dreger over there?"

giphy.gif

Reactions: OddyOh and Azazel

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
As disingenuous as Dreger is, you can argue that he has successfully moved the public conversation on Marner. People are opening talking about him getting 11M+ as a fact, even though in reality he's only worth 9 - which is what his comparables like Aho, Rantanen and Point are likely going to land at.

Is it impossible to think that Marners agent hasn't paid off Dreger with maybe 20K-30K to help push their narrative in the media for the past 12 months? If the Leafs are offering him 10M already, then it's already added 1M per year to his actual worth.

Reactions: SprDaVE

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
HA, Siegel chose Marner over Point and O-Dog played the insider and said his sources tell him that Point is TBs best player game in and game out.
Hayes nailed him and asked who is telling you Point is better than Kutcherov and he backed right off.

These guys are entertainment only. O'Neil answered Mulroney when asked who was Canada's first PM for frigs sake.

O isn't wrong about Point. For the next 8 years I'd take Point over Kutch. Point is the best RFA on the market.

Who's more valuable The Rat or Bergeron? The Rat had 100 points but I'd bet if you ask Boston fans who's more valuable it's bergeron.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He is saying a lot of outlandish things, but hey the attention and clicks he is getting is probably all worth it to him!

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
So interesting to me that he is not appearing on toronto radio today, totally MIA. what a coward ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He does hang around the rink here and there and talks to Leaf people. What I don't like is how he mixes different topics together in 1 tweet so as to intentionally confuse people. Like yesterday when he said there were teams looking at RFA's in the teens. then he says Marner rejected a 10M 8 year deal from Leafs. so immediately people think well Marner is one targeted with the teens deal. whereas he could have said there is a strong rumour floating around rangers are looking at a low teens deal for Point. So I would tend to agree he is in Marners camp trying to pump his tires up. now why would he does this? because OS to RFAs is a juicy insider topic and it ups his following. I think that is it rather than Marner paying him off which gets him fired if proven true.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
As disingenuous as Dreger is, you can argue that he has successfully moved the public conversation on Marner. People are opening talking about him getting 11M+ as a fact, even though in reality he's only worth 9 - which is what his comparables like Aho, Rantanen and Point are likely going to land at.

Is it impossible to think that Marners agent hasn't paid off Dreger with maybe 20K-30K to help push their narrative in the media for the past 12 months? If the Leafs are offering him 10M already, then it's already added 1M per year to his actual worth.
Well Marner was always going to get more than 9 or whatever the projections for him are because Matthews got such a huge deal for the term given. When comparing the value that Matthews has to the Leafs vs the value Marner has to the Leafs, I think its fair to say Marners cap hit percentage should be a couple percent less than what Matthews is, which would put him in the low 10's on similar term to Matthews.

I dont think Dreger was actually paid, but there was probably an agreement that Ferris will leak things to Dreger. Things about his clients or stuff Ferris knows by talking to the GM's of his clients etc.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Yes... insider to the Marner household. Paul is feeding him, and he’s clearly running with it. Can’t remember the last time he was this front and centre on everything since the Nonis era.

That does not make him credible if it’s only for 1 player in a league of 32 teams and hundreds of players.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, doesn’t mean it’s a good clock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad