Speculation: Darren Dreger says he was accused of tampering by the canucks

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Here comes some salt:

Does anyone remember when Burke was consulted with by the guy filling in for Colin Campbell in the Stanley Cup Playoffs on how he should suspend Aaron Rome, because Burke was a "neutral party" and former NHL executive?

That happened after this tampering. Ridiculous.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
On an unrelated note, given the background with Bryan Burke and Nonis, it still pisses me off that Mike Murphy consulted with Bryan Burke on the Rome suspension in the 2011 finals. Complete conflict of interest.

Damn I just posted this before reading.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hates the Aquilinis.

He drafted the Sedins back in 99 and then got fired by the Aquilinis in 2004. I'm thinking the parting wasn't amicable.

The Irish are known to have long memories and carry grudges.

Burke was fired before the Aquilinis. He didn't get along with his immediate boss Stan McCammon and reportedly threatened and went over the head of McCammon to get Bertuzzi extended.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Burke should have also been dinged about a year or so before when they were doing a behind the scenes feature on the Leafs and he actually revealed on a white board Canuck players that Gillis was willing to trade.

He actually mentioned Canuck players by name that were supposedly on the trade block on camera.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
At no point ever was Kevin Bieksa a first pairing defense. He have played on our top defense unit at times, but even at his best, he was only a #3. While trading Burrows would have been significant, you're assuming no other changes would have occurred in that two year span. That said, this all comes with the benefit of hindsight. Hedman wasn't remotely the player he is today in 2011.

Kevin Bieksa unquestionably played like a top pairing dman in 2010/2011 and 2011/2012. If you think otherwise you're completely and utterly wrong.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

Suggesting that the team goes to the finals without Bieksa and Burrows is ridiculous. This discussion is completely off base with what I posted too.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Here comes some salt:

Does anyone remember when Burke was consulted with by the guy filling in for Colin Campbell in the Stanley Cup Playoffs on how he should suspend Aaron Rome, because Burke was a "neutral party" and former NHL executive?

That happened after this tampering. Ridiculous.

Ummm....

That's no ****ing good at all.

:shakehead

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Burke was fired before the Aquilinis. He didn't get along with his immediate boss Stan McCammon and reportedly threatened and went over the head of McCammon to get Bertuzzi extended.

Ok fine.

This is the only source of acrimony I could find to explain the seemingly endless attacks at the Canucks by one Brian Burke.

Speculations?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ok fine.

This is the only source of acrimony I could find to explain the seemingly endless attacks at the Canucks by one Brian Burke.

Speculations?

Ya. Actually it was reported back then that Burke didn't like the way his good buddy Nonis lost his job. The speculation was that Gillis had approached Aquilini and convinced him to fire Nonis and hire him. Burke apparently took issue with that. and of course there were rumors that if Sandman had won the Canucks ownership lawsuit Burke would have been reinstalled as GM

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Kevin Bieksa unquestionably played like a top pairing dman in 2010/2011 and 2011/2012. If you think otherwise you're completely and utterly wrong.

Suggesting that the team goes to the finals without Bieksa and Burrows is ridiculous. This discussion is completely off base with what I posted too.

Oh come on now. I would not say it's ridiculous. May not have happened, and impossible to quantify the odds of such a scenario, but you are forgetting that the team would've have likely made other moves.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Anyone else sick of these old timers holding onto jobs for years? I'd love to see some early 30 year old talents in the media game. Follow Cam Tucker on twitter from the metro, he is an up and comer.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Dreger is such an idiot. Clearly he has harbored resentment against the Canucks for this. If Gillis were suggesting there was an issue here, I am betting there was.

Never much liked Dreger just from the way he carried himself on TV, but then I heard him on the radio out East saying he'd have no problem with his kid playing in Canada as a pro, as long as it was not in Vancouver. This revelation, from the ****** himself, is just another reason not to trust his motivations.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Dreger probably loved it. His only insight into the league was a brother in law. He's irrelevant now, as are most of the TSN broadcasters. Unfortunately because we don't see much of the good talent like Mackenzie and Lebrun.

Gillis was a very smart man and a good general manager, but I believe his downfall was he couldn't play nice with others. Naming Luongo Captain, the Luongo contract, Burrows/Auger situation, fined by the league in the Chicago series, etc etc. He burned so many bridges and his interaction with the media was a big part of it.

Honestly MG's biggest downfall wasn't not being able to play nice with other rather his history. Being a very successful agents more or less means you're not a popular man with other GM's in the league since he more or less were arguing with them his entire career. That's why he seem to only be dealing with a few GM. If he stayed on longer, then odds are more GMs would've either been replaced or the hatred would be healed over time. Remember he was an active agent representing quite a few players up until he became our GM so a lot of fresh "wounds" so to speak.

As far as tampering goes, its the same for every major sports and its no secret that every agent will do it behind closed doors and there is no doubt they'll tell the players they represent if any team's interested. This is just going a bit farther. I wish the NHL would be like the NFL... if a team goes too far or doesn't do a good job, then they get punished (using NFL as an example because KC Chiefs got caught this year for tampering in the past).

Of course the Sedins has too much class to probably go out and say "oh they contacted us before July 1st" but i bet that's the only way the NHL will ever consider "tampering" and pretty much pretend it never happened.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Ya. Actually it was reported back then that Burke didn't like the way his good buddy Nonis lost his job. The speculation was that Gillis had approached Aquilini and convinced him to fire Nonis and hire him. Burke apparently took issue with that. and of course there were rumors that if Sandman had won the Canucks ownership lawsuit Burke would have been reinstalled as GM

Yeah, it was known that Gillis was hanging with the Aquilinis well before he was hired as GM. His drinking buddy Tony Gallagher also helped get the ear of the Aquas.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I've never respected his opinion on anything, there have always been holes in his logic and rhetoric. If there is any substance to this allegation, yeah, he was involved with tampering and should have any dwindling credibility revoked. If there is no substance to this, then I'd imagine the same thing should be used.

He was at best a cheerleader for Nonis/Burke in Toronto, and he didn't even hide it. I prefer TSN to SN or other outlets almost every time, but I've never thought he has had anything relevant or accurate to say.

This news doesn't shock me, even a little bit, is what I'm saying.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dreger is a journalist. He is only a "hockey insider" because of his cousin. You can pretty much ignore his opinion on hockey matters.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
What's delusional is not understanding that there are some serious politics in play at the GM/owner level.

Ever wonder why it was so easy for Gillis to make a trade pre-2011 and almost impossible post-2011?

Methinks the Aquilinis were poor winners.

Thats an uh, interesting theory.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I never really got how people thought there was any basis whatsoever that Burke has a vendetta against the Canucks. What do people base this on?

Tampering on 2 occasions.

Leaked a trade offer that was made by the Vancouver Canucks to the Tampa bay lighting for the second pick in 2009. The leak was done on leafs t.v. Mike gillis filed tampering against the leafs, eventually dropping it, knowing mike gillis already embarrassed the crap out of the ******** Brian Burke. ( and also they are both fellow gms, don't want too much drama)

Btw the offer was burrows, bieksa and the 23rd pick for the second overall pick.

Mike gillis also accused brian Burke of tampering, when at the time Ron Wilson mistakenly slipped the wrong words during an interview in late June that the leafs were In process of getting the sedins.

brian Burke was apparently in Sweden before July 1st, there was some trail work pointing that Burke was somehow in contact with the twins prior to July 1st. After the accusations, Burke said he was in Sweden to sign Jonas Gustafson. (Which is odd because all gms are usually in their office on July 1st, for obvious reasons.)

Brian Burke also blasted the Canucks for not getting an invitation to lindens number retiring night, and he was quite confused why, and this is after the 2 tampering attempts, and him also saying "I'm not a fan of the aqullini's"

Burke is a clown, he met his match in mike gillis, who is also another gm, that is actually also a lawyer himself.

I miss mike gillis. A lot of dead beat American teams will keep their gm after missing the playoffs. We only gave gillis one chance and to be honest I don't think that's fair.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
So, if the tampering accusation is proven, what would be the result? Just fines for Dreger? Or will TSN have to give us their 2nd round pick :sarcasm:?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad