Speculation: Darren Dreger says he was accused of tampering by the canucks

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Just on 1040 , it will be up I'm sure. He says the canucks accused him of tampering on behalf of the leafs the year Burke went to Sweden to get the sedins for the leafs.... Wow .... Now we really know he was a nonis conduit. Brother in law

The canucks filed a formal tampering complaint with the nhl on Dreger.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Just on 1040 , it will be up I'm sure. He says the canucks accused him of tampering on behalf of the leafs the year Burke went to Sweden to get the sedins for the leafs.... Wow .... Now we really know he was a nonis conduit. Brother in law

The canucks filed a formal tampering complaint with the nhl on Dreger.

i cant even believe we came that close to losing the twins...

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Pretty hard to not suspect some funny business going on since Burke and Nonis were fired. Burke clearly had a vendetta against the Canucks. He created all sorts of drama openly. Dreger is related to Nonis and he seemed to be a Leafs conduit. It's easy to see why the Canucks might have an issue with him.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Dreger probably loved it. His only insight into the league was a brother in law. He's irrelevant now, as are most of the TSN broadcasters. Unfortunately because we don't see much of the good talent like Mackenzie and Lebrun.

Gillis was a very smart man and a good general manager, but I believe his downfall was he couldn't play nice with others. Naming Luongo Captain, the Luongo contract, Burrows/Auger situation, fined by the league in the Chicago series, etc etc. He burned so many bridges and his interaction with the media was a big part of it.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I love that Gillis went for the throat. Anybody that thinks Dreger would be above helping Cousin Dave and Burke swipe the twins away is fooling themselves. He's a credulous moron who's never demonstrated anything even approaching journalistic integrity.

He's getting shuffled to the side as TSN gives Westhead/Seravalli more airtime/responsibility. Will likely soon be out of hockey media or banished to radio permanently.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good for Gillis.

The way Nonis leaked literally everything he did directly through Dreger was despicable.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
On an unrelated note, given the background with Bryan Burke and Nonis, it still pisses me off that Mike Murphy consulted with Bryan Burke on the Rome suspension in the 2011 finals. Complete conflict of interest.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
On an unrelated note, given the background with Bryan Burke and Nonis, it still pisses me off that Mike Murphy consulted with Bryan Burke on the Rome suspension in the 2011 finals. Complete conflict of interest.

Still absolutely disgusting. The guy with the biggest vendetta against our team in the NHL advising the NHL on how long to suspend one of our players for.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Blaming anyone but Gillis for that fiasco is ridiculous. Could have been one of the largest blunders in team history.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I never really got how people thought there was any basis whatsoever that Burke has a vendetta against the Canucks. What do people base this on?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Burke brought over my two favourite Canucks players since Bure and I still hate him more than any single person in the NHL. I wish he would just go away forever.

Hilarious that cap-recapture wouldn't even exist if Lou waived his NTC for Toronto that summer. Can anyone picture Burke implementing a rule that hurts his own team? Yeah, no. He just saves his ridiculous NHL powers for screwing us over.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Dragger is garbage. He sounds like a horoscope when he tries to predict rumours and then claims he has inside information.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Burke brought over my two favourite Canucks players since Bure and I still hate him more than any single person in the NHL. I wish he would just go away forever.

Hilarious that cap-recapture wouldn't even exist if Lou waived his NTC for Toronto that summer. Can anyone picture Burke implementing a rule that hurts his own team? Yeah, no. He just saves his ridiculous NHL powers for screwing us over.

Yeah, that's a hard one to say. I always took it as "Guys we have to knock our heads together to punish teams who circumvented the cap (which the NHL hinted was coming)" and Burke was the one who came up with the suggestion they went with. Not some vendetta against the Canucks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I never really got how people thought there was any basis whatsoever that Burke has a vendetta against the Canucks. What do people base this on?

Burks is the single most vindictive person in the NHL for one. He was a jackass even when he was here: "all it takes is one quarter to move this team." Our org fired him and he was very pissed off. He then clearly tampered with the Sedins and got away with it. He was consulted on the Aaron Rome suspension for some reason and threw down the hammer with an unprecedented suspension. He institutes the cap recapture rule AFTER he tries and fails to trade for Luongo.

Even after all this time if you listen to him talk after the Torts v Hartley melt down last year he still very clearly hates us.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
What was the context of the Canucks' complaint? I don't get it. It looks good on Dreger, even when he was on "our side" I never liked him.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Thats actually not new information. I think it came out shortly afterwards and the Leafs got fined for tampering, though that was related to Ron Wilson comments on a radio station.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Burks is the single most vindictive person in the NHL for one. He was a jackass even when he was here: "all it takes is one quarter to move this team." Our org fired him and he was very pissed off. He then clearly tampered with the Sedins and got away with it. He was consulted on the Aaron Rome suspension for some reason and threw down the hammer with an unprecedented suspension. He institutes the cap recapture rule AFTER he tries and fails to trade for Luongo.

Even after all this time if you listen to him talk after the Torts v Hartley melt down last year he still very clearly hates us.

That is not much of an argument though. Burke is vindictive because you say so? Because you can tell by the tone of his voice? The thing with the Sedins I have no idea, but that does not have anything to do with being vindictive and trying to score a coup in UFA.

Blaming him for the Rome suspension is just bizarre. It is like he is the boogey man around here.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Burke should have also been dinged about a year or so before when they were doing a behind the scenes feature on the Leafs and he actually revealed on a white board Canuck players that Gillis was willing to trade.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Because this is journalist Darren Dreger... Leafs' lackey though he may have been, he wasn't an employee of the NHL club. He's a third party.

You are right, even if it was the case it would have been difficult to prove. It smells a bit fishy though.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Yeah, that's a hard one to say. I always took it as "Guys we have to knock our heads together to punish teams who circumvented the cap (which the NHL hinted was coming)" and Burke was the one who came up with the suggestion they went with. Not some vendetta against the Canucks.

If Burke acquired Luongo no way in hell he pushes for that. He tried to trade for him like a month before it happened. It's clear as day.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
If Burke acquired Luongo no way in hell he pushes for that. He tried to trade for him like a month before it happened. It's clear as day.

I might even agree with you on that, but that doesn't prove he is vindictive towards the Canucks. I think most people will look after their own interests the vast majority of the time in that kind of role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad