Speculation: Darren Dreger says he was accused of tampering by the canucks

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I might even agree with you on that, but that doesn't prove he is vindictive towards the Canucks. I think most people will look after their own interests the vast majority of the time in that kind of role.

Burke clearly hates the Canucks. Listen to any interview from him about our team since he was fired. On top of that, the recapture was clearly vindictive towards teams with those kind of contracts and should have been thrown out for a number of reasons but especially because he literally just tried to acquire one of the biggest examples of those contracts a month before. It was a clear conflict of interest.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Burke should have also been dinged about a year or so before when they were doing a behind the scenes feature on the Leafs and he actually revealed on a white board Canuck players that Gillis was willing to trade.

It's hilarious how this gets swept under the rug. Burke essentially put out that Gillis offered two of the teams core players in a package for a draft pick, whether it be true or not it's utter ********.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It's hilarious how this gets swept under the rug. Burke essentially put out that Gillis offered two of the teams core players in a package for a draft pick, whether it be true or not it's utter ********.

Just curious, who were these players?

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014
Burke reported on some behind the scenes Leafs TV segment that the Canucks offered Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and their 1st (Jordan Schroeder) for the 2nd overall pick in the 2009 draft.

Would've been incredible to get Hedman in that draft, he should've offered more.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
That essentially means giving up on the 2011 core in 2009. Do you think Washington would trade Oshie, Alzner and a 1st for Chychrun?

Your timing / analogy is off (as it was with the Horvat / Sutter one). Washington has won the President's trophy this year. The Canucks were 7th that year, and we are talking about the 2nd overall - not the 4th - 6th overall. The team would've been different, sure, but that doesn't mean it would've been worse or not a contender in 2011. Edler would have been presumably moved had that trade been made later on.

Right now Anaheim is 7th - so I guess something like Vatanen, Silfverberg, their 1st for Laine? That's a tough one.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Pretty hard to not suspect some funny business going on since Burke and Nonis were fired. Burke clearly had a vendetta against the Canucks. He created all sorts of drama openly. Dreger is related to Nonis and he seemed to be a Leafs conduit. It's easy to see why the Canucks might have an issue with him.

Against the Aquilinis.

Something we really need to start separating is our Canuck team and our owners.

I believe that there is a real dislike for the Aquilinis in the league based on how they outmaneuvered the team from Gaglardi in 2008.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Your timing / analogy is off (as it was with the Horvat / Sutter one). Washington has won the President's trophy this year. The Canucks were 7th that year, and we are talking about the 2nd overall - not the 4th - 6th overall. The team would've been different, sure, but that doesn't mean it would've been worse or not a contender in 2011. Edler would have been presumably moved had that trade been made later on.

Right now Anaheim is 7th - so I guess something like Vatanen, Silfverberg, their 1st for Laine? That's a tough one.

What was my Sutter/Horvat analogy? You're right the Washington analogy isn't perfect but Vancouver was a good team trending upwards, to suggest they wouldn't be worse in 2011 without a first line forward on an excellent contract and a first pairing dman is absolutely ridiculous.

Even then it's completely beyond the point.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Burke clearly hates the Canucks. Listen to any interview from him about our team since he was fired. On top of that, the recapture was clearly vindictive towards teams with those kind of contracts and should have been thrown out for a number of reasons but especially because he literally just tried to acquire one of the biggest examples of those contracts a month before. It was a clear conflict of interest.

Hates the Aquilinis.

He drafted the Sedins back in 99 and then got fired by the Aquilinis in 2004. I'm thinking the parting wasn't amicable.

The Irish are known to have long memories and carry grudges.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Just on 1040 , it will be up I'm sure. He says the canucks accused him of tampering on behalf of the leafs the year Burke went to Sweden to get the sedins for the leafs.... Wow .... Now we really know he was a nonis conduit. Brother in law

The canucks filed a formal tampering complaint with the nhl on Dreger.
Absolutely. was in knee deep in that BS as well as Luongo's perceived value.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
so you're criticizing him for something that never happened? LOL

His hate for Gillis is reaching ridiculous proportions now. At least people who are on Benning have evidence and precedent to back it up.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I can't stand Dregs. I call him out on twitter whenever I can. The only time Vancouver comes out of his mouth is to spin some negative comments, or de-value our players to try and hurt their trade value.

He even went on to say he would be happy to have his family play hockey anywhere in Canada EXCEPT Vancouver.

He's so salty his brother in law was canned from the Canucks he can't help himself.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Blaming anyone but Gillis for that fiasco is ridiculous. Could have been one of the largest blunders in team history.

I agree. I'm still angry at Nonis for almost not completing the Luongo-Bertuzzi trade.
Altho the anger is beginning to fade a bit, I'm still a little pissed off at Burke for almost not being able to pull off securing the 2nd AND 3rd overall picks in '99.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I'm sorry, I can say agree to disagree or whatever but we just come full circle with this stuff.

In no way does it appear to me there is any beef between Burke and the Canucks. He likes to shoot off his mouth, he is a jerk about stuff, and he is very pro his team. I guess you feel differently, and just think it is a known fact and it is silly to suggest otherwise. I'm not feelin it dog.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Hates the Aquilinis.

He drafted the Sedins back in 99 and then got fired by the Aquilinis in 2004. I'm thinking the parting wasn't amicable.

The Irish are known to have long memories and carry grudges.

The Luongo rule was also Burke pushed as well, so whenever we see the cap penalty for signing him you can thank Burke.

Lets not forget him getting up at 5 am, to push the trade for Russell at this dead line on all the sports networks.

How anyone can think Burke is happy with the Canucks has obviously not been paying attention.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
The Luongo rule was also Burke pushed as well, so whenever we see the cap penalty for signing him you can thank Burke.

Lets not forget him getting up at 5 am, to push the trade for Russell at this dead line on all the sports networks.

How anyone can think Burke is happy with the Canucks has obviously not been paying attention.

If anyone thinks that Brian Burke is staying up at night figuring out the next way he is going to try and screw the Canucks, it seems pretty delusional to me.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

I would venture to guess TB turned that down

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
What was my Sutter/Horvat analogy? You're right the Washington analogy isn't perfect but Vancouver was a good team trending upwards, to suggest they wouldn't be worse in 2011 without a first line forward on an excellent contract and a first pairing dman is absolutely ridiculous.

Even then it's completely beyond the point.

At no point ever was Kevin Bieksa a first pairing defense. He have played on our top defense unit at times, but even at his best, he was only a #3. While trading Burrows would have been significant, you're assuming no other changes would have occurred in that two year span. That said, this all comes with the benefit of hindsight. Hedman wasn't remotely the player he is today in 2011.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Against the Aquilinis.

Something we really need to start separating is our Canuck team and our owners.

I believe that there is a real dislike for the Aquilinis in the league based on how they outmaneuvered the team from Gaglardi in 2008.

There's a real dislike for "The Family" in every market in which they're involved. They are slimeballs.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
If anyone thinks that Brian Burke is staying up at night figuring out the next way he is going to try and screw the Canucks, it seems pretty delusional to me.

What's delusional is not understanding that there are some serious politics in play at the GM/owner level.

Ever wonder why it was so easy for Gillis to make a trade pre-2011 and almost impossible post-2011?

Methinks the Aquilinis were poor winners.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Burks is the single most vindictive person in the NHL for one. He was a jackass even when he was here: "all it takes is one quarter to move this team." Our org fired him and he was very pissed off. He then clearly tampered with the Sedins and got away with it. He was consulted on the Aaron Rome suspension for some reason and threw down the hammer with an unprecedented suspension. He institutes the cap recapture rule AFTER he tries and fails to trade for Luongo.

It wasn't named the Luongo rule but accident despite Luongo not being first contact like (Hossa/Detroit) it or the worst (kovy). Burke was was just being a dirt bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00