Player Discussion Darnell Nurse - To bridge or not to bridge, that is the question.

What do you do with Nurse's contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm not devoid of concern that Nurse isn't signed, but there are a few prominent RFAs who still need deals. I'm wondering if it's at the point, where they agree on a 1yr deal between $2.65-3M and Nurse really bets on himself.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Skjei also had had easier zone starts than both Matheson and Nurse as well... which helps account for some of his increased offensive production as well.

Skjei also had that dropoff from 39 pts to 25 pts... coincidentally (or not) his zone starts got slightly harder last season as well at ES so that likely accounts for a bit of that downturn offensively.

Those 3 are all pretty close in value I think when you look how they have performed on a RelT GF% basis with the edge to Nurse/Matheson considering their zone start usage.

Nurse/Matheson slightly above Skjei is how I would rate them.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think they're working on something else before getting Nurse's contract official

Perhaps, but until Sekera is put onto the LTIR, there's not much else they can do to add $. Seems like the best option would be to sign Nurse to a bridge, and then once Sekera is put onto LTIR, look at making some type of move.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If he ever got as good as Larsson in his own end and could keep his offensive contributions between the 20-30 point mark. He'd be one hell of a dman. Nurse could learn a bit from Larsson about using his body better. Larsson has brought ALOT of physicality to the backend.

Yeah Larsson is a lot more physical than I was expecting. He hits to hurt. Doesn’t make the big “Double Dion” type hits but never lets himself get caught out of position while doing it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah Larsson is a lot more physical than I was expecting. He hits to hurt. Doesn’t make the big “Double Dion” type hits but never lets himself get caught out of position while doing it.
He reads the play so well he doesn’t need to go out of position, another D that does this is matt benning, although not as often as Larsson he can throw some monster hits

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I love watching Larsson up close. He is very old school. Not a fun guy to play against at all. Nurse can be a similar player. He is a better skater than Larsson which will help.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think he's done. Haven't seen him in a long time.

I recall some posters speculating it could have been Tom Gazzola...I'm starting to wonder if that's not who it was as since he left Oilers TV this past February (kind of an odd time to quit your NHL team reporter/host job), there's been next to nothing on this site from ST-mind you, there haven't been a lot of moves or signings to begin with. I think one of the last posts was either the Jussi Jokinen signing or a player contract extension around a year ago. Some Mods were also saying some user accounts didn't survive the site migration for some reason or another but you think he/she would have simply created a new account.

He/she either got outted as a leak and was relieved of duties/re-assigned or moved on to other things is my guess.

Reactions: MisterD

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No clue, they would not say anything more. Would not even say if bridge or long term.

That would make sense. I don’t think Nurse wants to miss any camp time at all.

I think the two sides settle at 1 year 3 mil. Nurse gets arbitration rights the year after, Chiapet gets a year to offload Kassian. That particular overpayment - along with Lucic and Russell - is stopping us from locking nurse down long term.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I think the two sides settle at 1 year 3 mil. Nurse gets arbitration rights the year after, Chiapet gets a year to offload Kassian. That particular overpayment - along with Lucic and Russell - is stopping us from locking nurse down long term.

Nickel and diming a young top 4 D man with upside because he overpaid a bottom pairing guy on the downslope is another black mark on Chia's record.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Hopefully it's a 2 year bridge. 2 years @ $3.25M I could live with.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hopefully it's a 2 year bridge. 2 years @ $3.25M I could live with.

My honest belief is it’s term holding back the signing. Nurse wants to bet on himself with a one year deal, have a great year, and go for 5+ in arbitration, the Oilers want a safer two year bet. Don’t forget that the Oil can ask for lists from Sekera and Russell... next offseason I think?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nickel and diming a young top 4 D man with upside because he overpaid a bottom pairing guy on the downslope is another black mark on Chia's record.

Yup. Honestly given the sounds of things I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d accept a long term deal between 4.25 and 5, if we could offer it to him. That may come back to bite us in the ass.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bobby Mac - via Chris Nichols - just said Nurse’s contract negotiations aren’t going well at all.

Not only is this the first sign of trouble, it’s from the Bobfather himself? f***. That’s not good.

Fully expecting the ‘garbage vet+longshot prospect + C+ prospect’ offers on the mains to flow like wine now.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bobby Mac - via Chris Nichols - just said Nurse’s contract negotiations aren’t going well at all.

Not only is this the first sign of trouble, it’s from the Bobfather himself? ****. That’s not good.

Fully expecting the ‘garbage vet+longshot prospect + C+ prospect’ offers on the mains to flow like wine now.
I'm not worried about the garbage proposals. I'm worried about the garbage trades our GM is wont to do.

Reactions: Aerrol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I mean, I don't blame Nurse. When your GM gives money out like candy, you want to get yours.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Not only is this the first sign of trouble, it’s from the Bobfather himself? ****. That’s not good.

Keep those fingers crossed, maybe you'll get lucky with this.

Edit: So you're hoping for something like Nurse for Komarov, good luck

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yup. Honestly given the sounds of things I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d accept a long term deal between 4.25 and 5, if we could offer it to him. That may come back to bite us in the ass.

I also forgot about the overpays to Cagguila and Koskanen. Easily a million or so bucks between those two that should be going into Darnell's pocket.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese