Darnell Nurse - NHL Ready or Not?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Send him down with the Yakimov diet and exercise plan.

Put everyone on the Yakimov diet and exercise plan.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im on the fence. If he was on a team like the Hawks who could shelter him AND give hima good partner hed be ready. His tools are insanely good and he plays dominant for long stretches. But like other people have said, he makes some mental errors. On a team like the Hawks he could afce easier comp and be sheltered in rough patches.

On the Oilers, we cant provide that, and still need to shelter Klefbom, Marincin and Schultz.

I say let him develop in junior 1 more year. Top pairing monster minutes + WJC will be huge.

I would also give him 9 games too

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm almost certainly in the minority on this, but I'll say it anyway: The WJHC as a development tool is overrated by fans who are more interested in seeing their favorite players play in it than in any real, tangible benefits it brings.

There's been plenty of examples over the years of high level prospects who starred in that tournament, who went on to do nothing at the NHL level, or at best have mediocre pro careers. There's also been numerous players who either didn't play or had very brief experiences w/ that program, who went on to have productive NHL careers.

I'm not saying there's no benefit, as having a guy play against the best in the world is never a bad thing, but in a one-off tourney where the player selections seem based as much on hockey politics as it is on actual merit, I think the actual benefit to the players get out of it is more the warm, fuzzy memories than actual hockey development.

If the decision is to send Nurse back to junior to develop to the best player that he can be, then I hope the opportunity (and that's all it would be, there's no guarantees that he'll even make the team, with Hockey Canada you never know) to play there would be a minor consideration.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
There is obvious incentive to send Nurse down.. World Juniors, depth on the backend, extra development for a defenseman can't hurt..

Draisaitl on the other hand is a bit different. Yea, I'm sure he would dominate but it's not like he's going to be put in a great situation going back to junior. His team isn't going to contend and there is no benefit to playing for Germany in the WJ's.. (are they even in this years tourney?) It's a lot easier to break into the league as a forward than it is a defenseman and the Oilers are desperate for immediate help. If he's clearly overwhelmed at this level after 9 games than you have to think about it but not right now.

Except that I remember him saying something about him not returning to junior but playing pro in Europe somewhere. If that were the case, I'd way prefer that for Draisaitl to him suiting up for the Oilers this year. Save his ELC for when the games mean something. They still don't/won't this year, so just get a stop-gap centre for the 2C.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Via Twitter just 15 minutes ago.
Bob Mckenzie(@TSNBobMcKenzie) - "It's expected Darnell Nurse will be on EDM's season opening 23-man roster. What happens beyond first week will depend on performance."

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I never thought they would even try Nurse and Shultz together but got to say they looked solid in the last game.

Nurse literally has gotten better and better every single preseason game. Kinda curious how he will do in a real NHL game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Via Twitter just 15 minutes ago.
Bob Mckenzie(@TSNBobMcKenzie) - "It's expected Darnell Nurse will be on EDM's season opening 23-man roster. What happens beyond first week will depend on performance."

Lol of course the boring answer is the best one. We cant know if Nurse is NHL ready until we see him play in the NHL, and pre season doesnt show that accurately.

If Nurse does well, i think he should stay

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Except that I remember him saying something about him not returning to junior but playing pro in Europe somewhere.

Not saying that this isn't true, but does anyone have an actual link to him saying this? All I've ever seen is indirect references to him supposedly saying this, but I've yet to find concrete proof that these words came from him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lol of course the boring answer is the best one. We cant know if Nurse is NHL ready until we see him play in the NHL, and pre season doesnt show that accurately.

If Nurse does well, i think he should stay

He won't stay unless injuries keep him here. Our LD depth is ridicules. If he does very well in the NHL however I think the Oilers may be looking to move one of our current LD next year.

Right now.

Nikita 2 full years barring trade.
Marincin hopefully his whole career
Ference 3 full years
Nurse hopefully his career if he continues to improve.
Klefbom ineffective in a top 4 role in the NHL to date. Lots of time and potential but no way to know if he will be a key piece to the Oilers moving forward.

Next year tho?

I think Nurse will actually have to play the majority of his time in the AHL unless we move someone out permanently.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I like Nurse and I think if brought up properly we haven't even touched his upside yet.

With that in mind I hope that he gets a taste for a few games and then Nikiton or Ferrence come back and they send him back down because from both a development and asset management standpoint we will be best served by giving him another year to develop.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I never thought they would even try Nurse and Shultz together but got to say they looked solid in the last game.

Nurse literally has gotten better and better every single preseason game. Kinda curious how he will do in a real NHL game.

Could be our best D likely is now.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Not saying that this isn't true, but does anyone have an actual link to him saying this? All I've ever seen is indirect references to him supposedly saying this, but I've yet to find concrete proof that these words came from him.

Man I copy and pasted this directly from his twitter. Do you want the print screen photo graph ? Lol

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Personally the amount of ice time he's going to get in the soo and how far they're planning to go ( if he returns) is going to be nothing but beneficial for his development not to mention the world junior experience.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Strongly disagree. 9 games will be good for him.

But will it be good for the team? The team absolutely needs to get off to a strong start this season so Nurse cant be a liability out there..
I guess we are going to find out how this will play out..

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
He played well enough to make the team IMO. Would rather send him down and keep Marincin up, there's no negatives to letting him develop one more year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He played well enough to make the team IMO. Would rather send him down and keep Marincin up, there's no negatives to letting him develop one more year.

I expect Nurse will get sent down after a few games and Marincin will be back with the big team

What leads you to think otherwise?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I'm not a coach nor a GM (fantastic armchair one though) but I don't like a lot of the moves over the past 24 hours. Nurse isn't ready plain and simple.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not a coach nor a GM (fantastic armchair one though) but I don't like a lot of the moves over the past 24 hours. Nurse isn't ready plain and simple.

9 games for Nurse won't hurt. See how he does, then send him down back to juniors for another strong year along playing for Canada at the WJC. The Pietrangelo treatment.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse has absolutely earned a 9 game stint. He has been very good in the pre season

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Played well enough for a trial, but not for a full season. 9 games will let him know what it takes to play in the NHL. Then send him back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad