Dare we hope?

mwit20

Aug 19, 2018
*Can’t remember the last time I posted on here, mainly just come here to read through posts/threads around draft time.*

At this point in time I’m trying to be as omptimistic as I can be given the circumstances. The GM search, or lack there of, was especially concerning as Hilfferty, who in one breath will admit he is no hockey expert but in another will anoint a current (albeit *relatively* low level and without any tangible power) front office member as the perfect and best man for the job, when he has no gauge on what’s available outside the building. The fact that there wasn’t even a brief search is asinine.

Having said all that, Danny Briere has no track record to speak of both positive or negative. I think we can all agree the most likely scenario is that he’s not some wunderkind GM and the team is still within this malaise when all is said and done but I’m not willing to say there’s zero chance that this works out because at the end of the day we have nothing in his past to go off of.

I’m in no way saying that complete lack of experience isn’t concerning and yes, we should expect better than the hand we were dealt here but I much prefer a roll of the dice with a complete unknown than a retread we know is destined to fail.

I’m entering this off-season giving the team a blank slate and we’ll see what comes of it.

Reactions: BiggE

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Great thread.

1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team?

-Little to none, but I am rooting for them!

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it?

-Nope, he’ll be canned and done for good

3. Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade?

-No

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL?

-I think we’re back in playoff contention in 3 years. I actually think Cutter Gauthier is going to be a player, top 30 type - but still very good

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
*Can’t remember the last time I posted on here, mainly just come here to read through posts/threads around draft time.*

At this point in time I’m trying to be as omptimistic as I can be given the circumstances. The GM search, or lack there of, was especially concerning as Hilfferty, who in one breath will admit he is no hockey expert but in another will anoint a current (albeit *relatively* low level and without any tangible power) front office member as the perfect and best man for the job, when he has no gauge on what’s available outside the building. The fact that there wasn’t even a brief search is asinine.

Having said all that, Danny Briere has no track record to speak of both positive or negative. I think we can all agree the most likely scenario is that he’s not some wunderkind GM and the team is still within this malaise when all is said and done but I’m not willing to say there’s zero chance that this works out because at the end of the day we have nothing in his past to go off of.

I’m in no way saying that complete lack of experience isn’t concerning and yes, we should expect better than the hand we were dealt here but I much prefer a roll of the dice with a complete unknown than a retread we know is destined to fail.

I’m entering this off-season giving the team a blank slate and we’ll see what comes of it.
Briere was big on signing shittruck...

let that sink in...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I want to give you a nonsarcastic response, @BiggE. Here goes!
1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team? No.

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it? I will optimistically say no. He either retires from hockey altogether or goes back to the broadcast booth.

3. Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade? Yes.

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL? Best case is 6 years from now. A laundry list of things would have to work out, including breakouts/improvements for multiple players in the organization and 1 or 2 home runs in the draft. I don't see a way forward to a true superstar player, save for some lottery magic, but having 3 solid lines all playing great team hockey, a bolstered defense corps, and Hart emerging as a top-5 goaltender.

Worst case is not in my lifetime.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The more I think about it, the more hilarious it is that Torts has all of this power all of a sudden. No one else interviewed this guy a year ago! Does this team understand leverage...at all?

I think the only hope I have is that we hit on

Cutter
2023 1st
2024 1st and 1st
If they are only making four first round picks over a three year period, with all of the second round picks that got dumped, while admitting they are rebuilding, they are doomed.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The more I think about it, the more hilarious it is that Torts has all of this power all of a sudden. No one else interviewed this guy a year ago! Does this team understand leverage...at all?

If they are only making four first round picks over a three year period, with all of the second round picks that got dumped, while admitting they are rebuilding, they are doomed.
The sad thing is that they have plenty of players that would bring back picks in the first 2 rounds, Konecny, Laughton, Provorov & Hart quickly come to mind, but we’ll be lucky if they even move one of them.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team? Yes I do. I'm not in the room (just like every single person on this board) so I can only go based on what is said. I listened to the press conference and I've read what's been written. There may be a couple of "business as usual" type things with the new group, but I believe they don't want the same as it was before. It's going to change for the better. Until I'm shown that Briere can't/won't do it, I'm saying yes this is going to work.

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it? Yes I believe he will continue working for the organization. I think he'll be bumped up in another season or so. It's very obvious that Management likes him a lot. Was he the right hire at the time? Absolutely not. Probably the worst. Flawed coach? Yes. A good coach? Good, not great. But he got this group of players to play way above there capabilities.

3. Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade? No. Would I like a passionate owner in place like throughout the league? Yes. But why would Comcast sell? Makes no sense to me.

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL? They are competetive and make the playoffs in '24-'25 (or at the very worst barely miss). Upper echelon by '26-'27. Worst case - their draft picks are nothing special and the players currently in the system do absolutely nothing and become regular run-of-the-mill type players. We're stuck spinning the wheels.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
So, out with Cuck in with Jonesy and Danny Boy. Should we have any hope?

I’d like your answers to the following:

1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team?

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it?

3. Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade?

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL?

My answers will follow in a separate post.

1: The Flyers have failed to build a strong team since 2010-2012 (ish). I’m expecting more failure because it’s who they are and what they do. ***I’d love for this to work out though.***

2-3: No.

4: Best case is they’re somewhat competitive in 4 years. Worst case is we’re spinning our wheels until we’re all extremely elderly men.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I have a good feeling that Florida pick is going to be in the low 20s, or 17-20 range next year. I imagine we’ll have at least 3 1sts in the 2024 draft, maybe 2 this year, 2 next year.

We really need Cutter Gauthier to hit. Really really bad.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I have a good feeling that Florida pick is going to be in the low 20s, or 17-20 range next year. I imagine we’ll have at least 3 1sts in the 2024 draft, maybe 2 this year, 2 next year.

We really need Cutter Gauthier to hit. Really really bad.
It would also help if they struck gold with a 2nd round pick or two. Oh wait, nevermind.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Agreed. There is a double whammy there as well that, since players like Gauthier "need" to become stars, they will fast-track him like one, give him all the ice time a star would get, and pile on all of their anxious expectations. This organization has failed to show they have the patience to remain uncompetitive -- on purpose -- over several years, despite what Tortorella says. And that is the crux of it: do they supplement the paucity of high draft picks to try to hit on a high-talent player over the next three years or maintain their present stated plan to add stars to their roster by meandering along with first-round picks in the 8-14 level and somehow (!!!) nab stars-in-the-making from clubs who have no space or patience for these unpolished gems?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Jones says that he wants to the like the Preds and have great dman in waves. That’s great, but that 100% means drafting well after the 1st round and then developing. Why do they think they can magically do this? Why not hire a top guy from the Canes who already knows how do this? Instead of Briere who as of right now doesn’t know how to do anything?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Jones says that he wants to the like the Preds and have great dman in waves. That’s great, but that 100% means drafting well after the 1st round and then developing. Why do they think they can magically do this? Why not hire a top guy from the Canes who already knows how do this? Instead of Briere who as of right now doesn’t know how to do anything?

Im also disturbed to see them select a team that has utterly failed to draft and develop forwards for their existence. So we can have that, but also without any of the success at drafting and developing dmen.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Jones says that he wants to the like the Preds and have great dman in waves.

Does anyone want to tell him their 3 core defenders in their contending years were two 2nd rounders and a 4th rounder? And next up, Ellis was their highest pick at #11.

Everything is part mystique. In the last 10 years, they haven’t really hit on a top 4 defender other than Girard, who they preemptively traded for a forward (it was a bad trade) and Jones at 4th overall (who they traded for a sometimes good center). The common theme is they had to trade for forwards because they couldn’t find and develop them. And they did not get elite players in return — they lost value, if anything. For good measure, they dumped off Fiala, their best Forward pick since Forsberg.

The Flyers are a team that has shown no ability in recent years to evaluate defensemen, in ability and effectiveness and style. Yet, they spend almost every asset in the pursuit of them and tell us they would like to continue to do so. Despite an entire roster of holes. Self-reflection isn’t their strong suit.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
So Jones wants to just ignore goal scoring? It's great to have good defenseman, but you need to score goals to win games. Nashville isn't exactly the model franchise and aside from their one SCF appearance, they've never made it past the 2nd round...why? Because they don't score goals

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The "Never Won A Cup" Preds are absolutely who they should emulate lol. Doomed.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Does anyone want to tell him their 3 core defenders in their contending years were two 2nd rounders and a 4th rounder? And next up, Ellis was their highest pick at #11.

Everything is part mystique. In the last 10 years, they haven’t really hit on a top 4 defender other than Girard, who they preemptively traded for a forward (it was a bad trade) and Jones at 4th overall (who they traded for a sometimes good center). The common theme is they had to trade for forwards because they couldn’t find and develop them. And they did not get elite players in return — they lost value, if anything. For good measure, they dumped off Fiala, their best Forward pick since Forsberg.

The Flyers are a team that has shown no ability in recent years to evaluate defensemen, in ability and effectiveness and style. Yet, they spend almost every asset in the pursuit of them and tell us they would like to continue to do so. Despite an entire roster of holes. Self-reflection isn’t their strong suit.

They really believe they can just make an edict to draft and develop D and it will just be. They changed nothing to help that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad