Dare we hope?

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
There is always hope, but the question is will the hope come to fruition…best case scenario is the Flyers are good 5 years from now. You can’t predict out that far in sports

Reactions: BiggE and Redpath

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team?
I have no data in one direction or the other to answer that question. That's a big, giant, "we'll see."

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it?

No, he's here through the lean years until we're starting to turn the corner on a rebuild. 2-3 more years.

3. Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade?

Not until the team is on the rise. Would you sell an asset at it's lowest value? Neither would they.

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL?

Best case: Four years.

Worst case: Never

Reactions: BiggE

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Is it PR crap? It's completely in line with how everyone in the organization thinks.
If you want to see it that way, you can. I don't necessarily believe that that is how everyone in the organization thinks. Obviously Briere and Torts didn't buy into the Scott/Fletcher program. They're gone. It's been said that more changes are forthcoming. So more of those types of thinkers will be out.
One thing that has been clear for years now is that Comcast has put the word out that they want a consensus management group running the Flyers. It's the current corporate way of running organizations. Although it failed to succeed under Scott and Fletcher, Comcast management still is holding on to that model. It's why Jones, Briere and Tortorella are now where they are and others are not. They play well together in the sand box.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My only hope with Jones calling the Panthers-Hurricanes series is that some of what he sees rubs off on his thick skull. These teams are both playing fast hockey with an emphasis on quick transition and possession.

Hope will only get you so far though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you want to see it that way, you can. I don't necessarily believe that that is how everyone in the organization thinks. Obviously Briere and Torts didn't buy into the Scott/Fletcher program. They're gone. It's been said that more changes are forthcoming. So more of those types of thinkers will be out.
One thing that has been clear for years now is that Comcast has put the word out that they want a consensus management group running the Flyers. It's the current corporate way of running organizations. Although it failed to succeed under Scott and Fletcher, Comcast management still is holding on to that model. It's why Jones, Briere and Tortorella are now where they are and others are not. They play well together in the sand box.

I still don't understand why a consensus model would exclude some of their most prominent employees.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
My only hope with Jones calling the Panthers-Hurricanes series is that some of what he sees rubs off on his thick skull. These teams are both playing fast hockey with an emphasis on quick transition and possession.

He watched possession drivers like Giroux, Voracek, and Ghost for years and seemed to learn nothing.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Yep. When asked. If they don't get asked, they'll have no input. I can't see the Triumvirate going to Clarke for advice. Timonen for sure but not Clarke or Barber. Their era is gone in many ways.
you should brace yourself for a letdown! when you discover they are just as much involved if not even more so with the new suits being fully onboard with grinder hockey

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So, out with Cuck in with Jonesy and Danny Boy. Should we have any hope?

I’d like your answers to the following:

1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team?

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it?

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL?

My answers will follow in a separate post.

1. Sure...just not Torts
2. I pray the f*** not
3. Probably
4. Best case? 5 years. Worst case? 8 years. I may not be a fan by that time if it takes that long.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I'm going to quote myself from January '22.

Indicators of a well-run hockey ops department:
  1. Shows a thorough understanding of aging curves.
  2. Shooting variation cannot explain away most of their bad decisions.
  3. Prioritizes talent over fit at the NHL level.
  4. Doesn't draft for need.
  5. Understands that draft picks need to be made in high quantities.
  6. In-house player development is priority #1.
  7. Doesn't give depth players term.
  8. Doesn't pay secondary pieces like stars or tertiary pieces like secondary ones.
  9. Attemps to sell players at high points rather than low. If the latter occurs, they try to rehab them and then make the sale.
  10. Adaptability to the current strengths of the NHL roster rather than rigidly filling a shopping list.
  11. Consistently wins in the margins.
I don't have any evidence they could pass a single one of these criteria. The best indicator we have right now is a potential interest in trading Hart showing evidence of understanding point #1.

Of course, I should have added the role a coach has in your org as point #12, but even the Canucks wouldn't be that stupid in 2023. Alas.

Sure, if he wanted to be a background player, he could help with player development. But he doesn't and I doubt ever will. And more to the point, when he decides to make something an issue, everything goes straight to raw sewage. There's no managing him.

Nope.

Everything breaks impossibly well: 3-4 years. I'm talking Gauthier is Matthews and 7OA is Marner.
Everything breaks well, but on a reasonable scale: 5-6 years
The 20th through 80th Percentile outcomes: 8+
Everything breaks poorly: 6-8

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia

8. Doesn't pay secondary pieces like stars or tertiary pieces like secondary ones.
  9. Attemps to sell players at high points rather than low. If the latter occurs, they try to rehab them and then make the sale.
  10. Adaptability to the current strengths of the NHL roster rather than rigidly filling a shopping list.
I don't have any evidence they could pass a single one of these criteria. The best indicator we have right now is a potential interest in trading Hart showing evidence of understanding point #1.

Of course, I should have added the role a coach has in your org as point #12, but even the Canucks wouldn't be that stupid in 2023. Alas.

Sure, if he wanted to be a background player, he could help with player development. But he doesn't and I doubt ever will. And more to the point, when he decides to make something an issue, everything goes straight to raw sewage. There's no managing him.

Nope.

Everything breaks impossibly well: 3-4 years. I'm talking Gauthier is Matthews and 7OA is Marner.
I like your list and agree that these people haven’t shown a grasp on any of it. It’s rather frustrating.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It does not matter what this org does, I will have zero hope for them to be worthwhile to care about until they show me that they are. Even then I’ll be hesitant.
This team is the sports/fans equivalent of an abusive dog owner/dog relationship. They’ve spent years neglecting the fans and beating them into submission with one astonishingly bad move after the other. I’m not coming near them at the first sign of a treat.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

1) Faith, no. That is earned. Hope is not, so I have the dimmest spark there. It's possible that the blind squirrels have finally tripped over a nut that is not their own.
2) Frankly, I'm surprised he wasn't named PoHO. Yes, most certainly, and I don't believe so, to 2a.
3) Depends. Do I win the Powerball several times between now and then? If not, no. The team is too valuable as a content generator.
4) Best case timeline: 4 years, likely requiring a bottom-out this year, acquiring a first from someone who expects to be good then utterly ballses up their season, and getting two unexpected top 5 picks this coming year.
Worst case timeline: The Buffalo Sabres will pity us.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

sadly Dinosaurs are incapable of understanding what a incoming meteor means

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think the only hope I have is that we hit on

Cutter
2023 1st
2024 1st and 1st

If that ends up in 4 star players, W, C, D + then you have a core to play with the likely good depth we will have. Otherwise, I don’t see enough once guys like Couts are bad. With no 2nds, you need to have a Dallas like draft just over the course of a few seasons.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

1) I am more optimistic with Briere than Chucky, I am just hoping Briere can make the necessary changes and build a top 10 team within the next 4 years. I think we have some assets, if used wisely can get us there.

2) Torts will be offered a management role, he's pretty much there already.

3) I doubt Comcast will sell the team

4) Best case scenario for a top 10 team is 3 years, likely 4 years away if everything goes according to plan and they aren't total idiots.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's definitely a chance the Flyers are like the Sabres and end up missing the playoffs for over a decade. The last time they were in was 2011, and it's harder to make the playoffs now with 32 teams instead of 30.

And even if they get in, who is to say they won't go 21 years between series wins like the Islanders?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

1) OH HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO
2) Probably will get a FO job, OH HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO
3) NOPE!
4) NEVER

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Nope.

Nice to see you back, jojo

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017

YES, I'M GONNA GIVE THEM AT LEAST A YEAR BEFORE I CRITICIZE
DON'T HAVE A CLUE
DON'T THINK SO
I'M THINKING 3/4 years @ MOST.....HOPEFULLY :naughty:

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

1684527007518.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad