Dare we hope?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
So, out with Cuck in with Jonesy and Danny Boy. Should we have any hope?

I’d like your answers to the following:

1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team?

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it?

3. Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade?

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL?

My answers will follow in a separate post.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

1. Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team?

2. Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? And, if so, can anything good come of it?

4. What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL?

1) No.
2) Yes
3) No
4) Best: How Long is tortorellas contract?
4) Worst: When does comcast sell the team?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
1. On a scale of 1-10, I give them a 1.5 chance of building a championship caliber team. And honestly, that might be generous. Their failure to go outside the organization for any key hires and the amount of influence they give Torts leaves me with virtually no optimism.

2. Unless major changes are made soon, yeah probably. And no, nothing good will come of it.

3. I think a lot depends on if the Sixers move to a new venue. Losing a major tenant and having a competitive, newer venue for concerts and other events will significantly hurt the bottom line of the current stadium. At that point, I can see Comcast looking to sell. If not, and the Sixers stay put, then no unless someone massively overpays and that’s extremely unlikely.

4. Best case: Briere is surprisingly good at his job and they have some lottery luck the next couple years. Cutter becomes a 1LW and they land a 1C or 1D with their upcoming 1st. If all that comes to pass, I can see them contending by 2027/28. Worst case: the Jones/Briere/Torts troika is an abject disaster and by 2027 we are at rock bottom and starting all over again. In that case, we’ll be lucky to be contenders by 2033.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

Not much. The fact that the front office was built backwards, telling us that they limited themselves to GMs that wouldn't fire the coach and then to a POHO that wouldn't fire either, means that they eliminated potential best hires. Could Briere and Jones be good execs? Possibly, but one learned under the old regime and one has no management experience. That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I think it's clear that the organization has made him their face, and that unless something egregious happens, he will have the opportunity to move into management when he stops coaching. Given the types of players he has shown preference to, I don't think him having more of a hand in player decisions will go well.

No. And I'm not someone who necessarily thinks this is a bad thing. Unless someone passionate, knowledgeable, and with similarly deep pockets comes along, we could be in for a worse time if they sell. The flip side, of course, is that Comcast has to identify a good CEO of Spectacor, which they appear to have missed on again.

I think it's at least 5 years before they make the first of back to back playoff appearances. Maybe 4 years on the outside. Upper echelon? That's tough to judge. If they want to do that while finishing in the bottom half of the league but not in the bottom 3 for the next several years, they need to get their scouting and development in order.

As always, I fully realize I could be wrong. Hope to be. Not afraid to admit it if things turn out better than I fear.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

1. Negative faith

2. Yes, he will undoubtedly fail upwards which is really what it means to "Be A f***ing Flyer." The only good that will come out of that is that he's no longer the coach and we don't have to see the prick during press conferences acting if he's some superior being and players won't be bench on their homecoming. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Keith Jones is just a place holder for Tortorella.

3. No. Comcast will only sell the team if they go bankrupt (aka not happening anytime soon).

4. Best case scenario? 2030.
Worst case? Never.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

1. No

2a. I hope not. If he wants it he'll have it, he is the embodiment of everything the team has strived to become.
2b. No

3. No

4. 10-15 years from whenever the last guy with a Clarkeian mindset is purged. Worst case, never.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Of course not. That press conference was a joke, a clusterf*** of empty corporate jargon, focusing on the "business side" and PR, which none of us care about or care to hear about. Words are cheap.

BUT ... words are cheap. I'm willing to wait and see what Briere does, watching as objectively as possible (not a strength of mine, obviously). The stupid narratives that they have been repeating, which make all of us cringe to f*** and expect the worse, could be just their (wrong-minded) idea of what fans want to hear. Zero faith whatsoever, but what the f*** else are we going to do?

No chance, and if he does, it won't be for long. He is far too abrasive as a person, and seemingly far too lazy to hang around when he doesn't need to. We just have to get through the next few years, hopefully limiting the damage he can do.

You'd hope so, with the same reverse caveat emptor (beware the buyer) BiggE mentioned above. More and more movement is happening lately with sports ownership - you'd like to think we would be a tasty proposition for someone with hopefully as much sense as money. The Sixers situation is not one I'm super familiar with, but I do know the Harris group is going to have its hands full affording to maintain the f***ing Football Team if that deal goes through - not the deepest pockets around - so maybe that impacts their ability to build a Sixers thingy?

Worst case is we are on the treadmill we all expect us to be on, and these 13 years stretch to 20 and beyond. Best case ... maybe six years to get back to the upper echelon? Probably more like seven. It would take a practical miracle, though.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
No
It certainly feels like that right now, and no I can't see how anything good comes from it. Of course, it depends on how involved he is. But he has an outdated view on hockey, and shows no signs of trying to adapt.
I very much doubt it. They'll sell more tickets in the short term because fans are stupid.
It's really hard to answer this question. I have no idea how MGMT is planning on approaching this. Without diving too much into this, I would say 5-10 years. It's going to take some time.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

1. No
2. No - I think when Torts is done, he's going to be done on HIS accord. They'll beg for his counsel (assuming Clarke hasn't died yet), but Tortorella isn't a former Flyer and I doubt he feels any ties strong enough to this org that would bind him after his coaching years
3. No
4. 2030 best, 2035 worst

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

1. Possibly. One reason for hope is that I can’t see the present triumvirate allowing the Dinos any say in the operation of the franchise.
2. Yes. Maybe Shaw or Sullivan taking over his coaching spot with Tortorella becoming an advisor.
3. No. For several reasons Comcast wants to be a part of the Philly sports scene.
4. Five years from now they should cycle up the food chain of the League. The next two seasons are going to be tough ones as new talent comes on to the roster and gets acclimated to NHL play. Need more early DCs.

Reactions: BiggE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
1. Possibly. One reason for hope is that I can’t see the present triumvirate allowing the Dinos any say in the operation of the franchise.
2. Yes. Maybe Shaw or Sullivan taking over his coaching spot with Tortorella becoming an advisor.
3. No. For several reasons Comcast wants to be a part of the Philly sports scene.
4. Five years from now they should cycle up the food chain of the League. The next two seasons are going to be tough ones as new talent comes on to the roster and gets acclimated to NHL play. Need more early DCs.

I'm unsure why you think this would be the case

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

1) absolutely not

2) absolutely yes

3) nah

4) Best case scenario is an Oilers-like “rebuild”.

Be horrible, tons of high picks, do a terrible job of drafting/developing so they either take guaranteed trash or just waste potential, remain a joke until they luck into an elite player who saves them from the draft lottery, remain awful outside of that top player because they can’t properly build around him, watch his career waste away and blame him for the teams failure to win a cup.

Worst case scenario is we continue exactly as we have been since Fletcher took over for another decade or more, except without anyone near Giroux/Voracek/Ghost level to be entertaining because Torts and Jones will be able to make sure we never add good players. Collect all the lost insufferable c***s in hockey, like Torts, Jones, Hayes, etc, and shove them down fans throats until we finally die.

Last edited:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

sddefault.jpg

nepotism-nepotism-everywhere-9a871ce52b.jpg

giphy.gif

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
nothing has changed..

they changed 1 suit for another..

and the new suit is more of the sameolsameol.

until something happens that ACTUALY move the needle even 1 time in the correct direction.

there is no reason to hope.

i feel the next 5 years will be a flailing attempt to bring back the bullies which of course will fail spectacularily.

then we will start the "rebuild" over yet again.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
1) Do you have any faith in the new regime when it comes to building a championship caliber NHL team? I have optimism that Briere can be a beneficial GM and set us on the right path.

2) Will John Tortorella continue to work for the organization once he is no longer coaching? Yes.
And, if so, can anything good come of it? No.

3) Will Comcast sell the team within the next decade? No.

4) What is your best case and worst case timeline for when this team will return to the upper echelon of the NHL? Best case for upper-echelon is 6-8 years, with being a good playoff team in the 3-6 year range. Worse case, God help us.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggE and Curufinwe

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm unsure why you think this would be the case
Until proven else wise, I'll go along with Hilferty's comments that these guys aren't going to be involved. First of all Holmgren has said for years that he doesn't want a role any longer. Barber has been exposed as being out of touch with today's game. His shelf life has passed. Clarke will always want to try to put a stick in the water but he's been reduced to being a Stanley Kowalski character.
People like Briere, Tortorella and Jones are really strong personalities. They're not going to be pushed around. Jones takes a lot of flack but as a player he was all business when he was on the ice. Nota fighter but not an easy guy to go up against. Inch for inch, Briere was as tough as it gets; especially when the chips were on the table. These three will be here doing their thing unless and until they fail.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Until proven else wise, I'll go along with Hilferty's comments that these guys aren't going to be involved. First of all Holmgren has said for years that he wants no role any longer. Barber has been exposed as being out of touch with today's game. Clarke will always want to try to put a stick in the water but he's been reduced to being a Stanley Kowalski character.
People like Briere, Tortorella and Jones are really strong personalities. They're not going to be pushed around. Jones takes a lot of flack but as a player he was all business when he was on the ice. Nota fighter but not an easy guy to go up against. Inch for inch, Briere was as tough as it gets; especially when the chips were on the table.

What about Hilferty's comments praising and defending them whenever he speaks, his comments about how collaboration will continue, and his comments about how they're going to build in the spirit of the 70s while Tortorella rushed to the defense of alumni?

He also didn't say they wouldn't be involved. He said they're staying because they're foundational titans, and they'll provide input when asked.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
What about Hilferty's comments praising and defending them whenever he speaks, his comments about how collaboration will continue, and his comments about how they're going to build in the spirit of the 70s while Tortorella rushed to the defense of alumni?

He also didn't say they wouldn't be involved. He said they're staying because they're foundational titans, and they'll provide input when asked.
Yep. When asked. If they don't get asked, they'll have no input. I can't see the Triumvirate going to Clarke for advice. Timonen for sure but not Clarke or Barber. Their era is gone in many ways.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep. When asked. If they don't get asked, they'll have no input. I can't see the Triumvirate going to Clarke for advice. Timonen for sure but not Clarke or Barber. Their era is gone in many ways.

Why do you think a team building in the spirit of the 70s won't be asking the people from the 70s? Especially when Hilferty has made it clear he doesn't know the sport and thus needs educating, and has also made it clear he has a clear desire to huff their jocks?

Tortorella and Jones for certain are so archaic they'd definitely prefer to hear what the Cronies have to say over someone with a modern approach like Timonen. Hilferty wants a return to the 70s, so why would he listen to Timonen over them? This is all pure wishcasting.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

No - Briere might not be bad but he's surrounded by NOTHING BUT BAD

Yes - He sees the opportunity at a cushy retirement gig

Doubtful - but one can hope

Sometime in the 2030's

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Why do you think a team building in the spirit of the 70s won't be asking the people from the 70s? Especially when Hilferty has made it clear he doesn't know the sport and thus needs educating, and has also made it clear he has a clear desire to huff their jocks?
That spirit of the 70's is PR crap just like the New Orange. Hilferty probably does need some educating on the machinations of the NHL. He has his three guys to go to-Jones, Briere and Tortorella. If he's not going to use them, why did he hire them?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That spirit of the 70's is PR crap just like the New Orange. Hilferty probably does need some educating on the machinations of the NHL. He has his three guys to go to-Jones, Briere and Tortorella. If he's not going to use them, why did he hire them?

Is it PR crap? It's completely in line with how everyone in the organization thinks. Seems more likely they are just telling us exactly what they think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad