Confirmed with Link: Darcy's extension 5 years - Per LeBrun

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Uh why are people upset? Maybe because the GM, whose team hasn't won a playoff series since 2007, was just rewarded with a 5 year extension.

Buffalo fans are a strange lot.

Absolutely correct.

Most everyone thinks we have all these young kids that are going to turn this franchise around. That really is laughable. How are Myers, Foligno and McNabb looking these days? You are telling me they regressed? Uh oh.

I guess Grigs, Girgs and McCabe will be the answers.

By the way, the Sabres aren't the only team with young talent. Right off the top of my head I will tell you Ottawa has better young guys on their roster and down on the farm. Ottawa's goalie situation is also about a thousand times better now, and in the future, than what we have.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I must be in some bizarro world. You're happy with the moves that have resulted in no playoff successes in nearly 6 years?

He's drafted a good young core that hopefully will continue to improve. He addressed the organization's lack of centers with hopefully a number 1 and a strong number 3 in Grigs and Girgs. He acquired Hodgson to address the center position and he appears to be panning out. He's started adding some meat to the team to counter their anti-physical neutering.

You're not separating the 6 years from the last couple under Pegula when he didn't have the same restraints. My issue with Darcy is that he hasn't canned Ruff but hopefully it'll happen soon.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Absolutely correct.

Most everyone thinks we have all these young kids that are going to turn this franchise around. That really is laughable. How are Myers, Foligno and McNabb looking these days? You are telling me they regressed? Uh oh.

I guess Grigs, Girgs and McCabe will be the answers.

By the way, the Sabres aren't the only team with young talent. Right off the top of my head I will tell you Ottawa has better young guys on their roster and down on the farm. Ottawa's goalie situation is also about a thousand times better now, and in the future, than what we have.

Adding to that, young talent doesn't mean **** until they perform heavily in the NHL.

How long have we been hearing about how great our prospects were?

We had 3 AHL Rookie of the Years IN A ROW and where are they now?

Gerbe - Fighting for his NHL life on the 4th line
Ennis - As inconsistent as inconsistent can be
Adam- Nobody wants him up in Buffalo thats for damn sure.

Kennedy was great in Portland, but we bought that ****er out because we didn't want him.

McNabb has been **** this year, Myers has been terrible, Enroth horrific... should I keep going?

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I must be in some bizarro world. You're happy with the moves that have resulted in no playoff successes in nearly 6 years?

I'm counting what he's done under Pegula with no restraints that were clearly there under Golisano/Quinn.

Brought in Hodgson, drafted Grigs and Girgs and Armia, finally started shipping out some of the core. We're rebuilding, it takes time. I was ready to fire Darcy but he's earned some leeway in the least year or so.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
Most people will agree that the moves that he made where mostly positive. What I don't like are the moves he did not make. He overvalues his players so when there is a possible trade to help the team, he is asking to much and won't budge. He also has not fired Lindy.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm counting what he's done under Pegula with no restraints that were clearly there under Golisano/Quinn.

Brought in Hodgson, drafted Grigs and Girgs and Armia, finally started shipping out some of the core. We're rebuilding, it takes time. I was ready to fire Darcy but he's earned some leeway in the least year or so.
It's like banging my head against a wall. As the poster above alluded to, people said this exact same thing when the Sabres were churning out AHL ROY's repeatedly. The future was bright, things are improving blah, blah, blah. How did that turn out?

It's a viscous cycle and people keep buying into it. In a way, some of you are getting what you deserve. Continue supporting it.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Uh why are people upset? Maybe because the GM, whose team hasn't won a playoff series since 2007, was just rewarded with a 5 year extension.

Buffalo fans are a strange lot.

:laugh::laugh:

Same ol Sabre fans drinking the kool aid. 5 years for Regier means 5 years for Ruff.

Gotta love the fans "oh this doesn't mean he can't be fired"!

Uhhh yes it does. They don't give 5 year ****ing extensions to people and then fire them right after :laugh:

Be prepared for 5 more years for the R&R show wooohoooo !

It's a joke that fans say "oh he should only be judged under Pegula and not Golisano"

I think all the fans forgot our payroll was in the top half of the league under BTG :lol: under Pegula our team is far worse!!

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
It's not Darcy's fault if FA's don't want to come here. If we want the premier free agents to sign here, we need to be more successful, simple as that. He's done pretty well in his trades and drafted good talent as you said we've had 3 ROTY AHL'ers, how is it his fault if they don't develop properly in the NHL? Isn't that more on the coach than the GM??

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's not Darcy's fault if FA's don't want to come here. If we want the premier free agents to sign here, we need to be more successful, simple as that. He's done pretty well in his trades and drafted good talent as you said we've had 3 ROTY AHL'ers, how is it his fault if they don't develop properly in the NHL? Isn't that more on the coach than the GM??

If FA is the only way a GM can build a solid team, get that GM out of here.

Plenty of teams can be built into winners without huge FA signings.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006

So at what point can it be a GMs fault?

Draft a player, seems to be okay in the AHL and ***** the bed in the NHL... must be all on the coach all the time?

If he ***** the bed in the AHL its all on the AHL coach too right?

Yea, don't think so.

If the coach isn't getting it done he needs to be removed, but ALL the blame isn't on Lindy. Darcy picked the guys.

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
:laugh::laugh:

Same ol Sabre fans drinking the kool aid. 5 years for Regier means 5 years for Ruff.

Gotta love the fans "oh this doesn't mean he can't be fired"!

Uhhh yes it does. They don't give 5 year ****ing extensions to people and then fire them right after :laugh:

Be prepared for 5 more years for the R&R show wooohoooo !

It's a joke that fans say "oh he should only be judged under Pegula and not Golisano"

I think all the fans forgot our payroll was in the top half of the league under BTG :lol: under Pegula our team is far worse!!
Ron Wilson fired 3 months after a contract extension -- before the extension even kicked in.
Guy Carbonneau fired 5 months after a contract extension -- before it kicked in as well.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
If FA is the only way a GM can build a solid team, get that GM out of here.

Plenty of teams can be built into winners without huge FA signings.

That's my point, he's done a good job filling up the stock boards and it's up to the coach to make the most out of them. We have 2 potential game breakers in Grigs and Armia along with a ton of solid depth. It's not like a GM can wave a magic wand and make the team a contender, it's up to the coach to implement a system that is effective for the players and to bring out the most out of them.

Darcy could've kept Gaustad and not received the first but I think he too realizes we're in a re-building phase. If we kept him, we don't receive a first, and we either re-sign him(which thank god we didn't) or we let him go for nothing and sorry but when you get a first for Paul Gaustad, you do it. Yes, it opened up a big hole and he hasn't filled it up, I'm sure he tried to through FA, unfortunately Buffalo is a ****hole so nobody wants to come here.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
The entire 3 RoY comments are a crock. How many AHL rookies of the year have had stellar NHL careers. Not too many of them as its an entirely different league. Look at some of the players that have tore up the CHL or NCAA and how many have had great careers. Here's the list of the AHL RoYs since 2000, tell me how many have turned out to be great NHL players:

Season Player Team
2011–12 Cory Conacher Norfolk Admirals
2010–11 Luke Adam Portland Pirates
2009–10 Tyler Ennis Portland Pirates
2008–09 Nathan Gerbe Portland Pirates
2007–08 Teddy Purcell Manchester Monarchs
2006–07 Brett Sterling Chicago Wolves
2005–06 Patrick O'Sullivan Houston Aeros
2004–05 Rene Bourque Norfolk Admirals
2003–04 Wade Dubielewicz Bridgeport Sound Tigers
2002–03 Darren Haydar Milwaukee Admirals
2001–02 Tyler Arnason Norfolk Admirals
2000–01 Ryan Kraft Kentucky Thoroughblades
1999–00 Mika Noronen Rochester Americans

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Ron Wilson fired 3 months after a contract extension -- before the extension even kicked in.
Guy Carbonneau fired 5 months after a contract extension -- before it kicked in as well.

They weren't in the same spot for 16 years though.

Believe it when I see it.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
So at what point can it be a GMs fault?

Draft a player, seems to be okay in the AHL and ***** the bed in the NHL... must be all on the coach all the time?

If he ***** the bed in the AHL its all on the AHL coach too right?

Yea, don't think so.

If the coach isn't getting it done he needs to be removed, but ALL the blame isn't on Lindy. Darcy picked the guys.

I agree, not all the blame is on Lindy, but he's not getting the results first and foremost out of the players drafted by Darcy. If Lindy is removed and there are no changes, I'm all for removing Darcy, but as of right now he's done a good job getting quality prospects into our pipeline.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The entire 3 RoY comments are a crock. How many AHL rookies of the year have had stellar NHL careers. Not too many of them as its an entirely different league. Look at some of the players that have tore up the CHL or NCAA and how many have had great careers. Here's the list of the AHL RoYs since 2000, tell me how many have turned out to be great NHL players:

Season Player Team
2011–12 Cory Conacher Norfolk Admirals
2010–11 Luke Adam Portland Pirates
2009–10 Tyler Ennis Portland Pirates
2008–09 Nathan Gerbe Portland Pirates
2007–08 Teddy Purcell Manchester Monarchs
2006–07 Brett Sterling Chicago Wolves
2005–06 Patrick O'Sullivan Houston Aeros
2004–05 Rene Bourque Norfolk Admirals
2003–04 Wade Dubielewicz Bridgeport Sound Tigers
2002–03 Darren Haydar Milwaukee Admirals
2001–02 Tyler Arnason Norfolk Admirals
2000–01 Ryan Kraft Kentucky Thoroughblades
1999–00 Mika Noronen Rochester Americans
Yeah, but you're missing the point. It's the endless "things are on the right track" comments out of people that's the issue. People were saying that 3 years ago when the Sabres kept winning this award. Just like now people are crowing about the prospects to defend Darcy. It an endless cycle.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Mediocrity is rewarded in this organization. It's effed up.

That's been the case for a long time - and it will likely come with a convenient crutch to dismiss this time as yet another aberration. Injuries last year....shortened season this year.

Ironically, the last management change the Sabres made was with a tandem (Muckler/Nolan) that had success on the ice but dysfunctional personality problems off it.

It's all irrelevant. If we keep under performing then they'll get the sack.

Hasn't that been the prevailing expectation in the past as well? :sarcasm:

They'll be like the Bills. They'll turn it around somewhat to the point where they are in a playoff hunt. Ultimately they won't make it but they will have been decent enough where they can't justify firing anyone.

Yup. Bill Murray ("Groundhog Day") would feel right at home in Buffalo... :laugh:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Lindy Ruff has been the head coach in Buffalo since 1997. A growing number of Sabres fans -- growing further from last season, when Buffalo missed the playoffs -- would like to see a change behind the bench. But that’s not the plan, Regier said.

"We’re working hard to get this turned around after 10 games," said Regier, who was signed to a contract extension last month. "And we’ll continue working on it as a team. I have full confidence that the work Lindy and I will do will get it done."

If Hamilton's past reports on what Regier keeps saying to him - "as long as I'm the GM, Lindy is the coach" - hold true, it really comes down to whether Regier would agree to fire Ruff to save his own job or give Pegula an ultimatum and "go down with the ship" with Ruff.

Who really knows what would happen but it's hard to envision Regier sacrificing Ruff to save himself - and I can't see Pegula being willing to replace both men at the same time.

Interesting comment by Hamilton recently on WGR about how Sawyer could be the voice that Pegula listens to most if a management shift were considered.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Yeah, but you're missing the point. It's the endless "things are on the right track" comments out of people that's the issue. People were saying that 3 years ago when the Sabres kept winning this award. Just like now people are crowing about the prospects to defend Darcy. It an endless cycle.

I get the point that change is good and the sooner it changes is best; however, a lot of people also feel that since Pegula took over, that Darcy has done a lot of good things. He's adapted and is restructuring the roster / prospect pool now that his hands aren't tied. You have to admit that there's no way in hell he'd have drafted Armia, Girgs or Grigs under Golisano as he wouldn't have been allowed to roll the dice. Any moves would have been dollar for dollar and they sure as hell wouldn't have gotten Ehrhoff or Leino (well they could of not signed him).

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
It's like banging my head against a wall. As the poster above alluded to, people said this exact same thing when the Sabres were churning out AHL ROY's repeatedly. The future was bright, things are improving blah, blah, blah. How did that turn out?

It's a viscous cycle and people keep buying into it. In a way, some of you are getting what you deserve. Continue supporting it.

I could say the same thing.

Darcy is doing his job. Ruff isn't. I think a new coach solves more problems than a new GM.

Beyond that, we all knew about this extension MONTHS ago. Why all the anger now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad