Confirmed with Link: Darcy's extension 5 years - Per LeBrun

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21919/hot-in-buffalo-and-we-aint-talking-wings

"I’ve talked to some GMs the last few days," Regier told ESPN.com Wednesday afternoon. "It’s a pretty quiet market right now. A number of teams have very small things they want to do, quite honestly, with the hope that whether it’s with their players or our players, they’re going to get them on track because of their previous history of them being a lot better. That kind of leaves it where we’re saying, 'Let’s touch base again later in the week or later on.' Teams sitting in positions similar to us are hoping to turn it around with the group that they have and then in the event they don’t, looking at the trade market. But as you said, it’s pretty soft right now."

And so while Regier works the phones, he’s hoping the answer comes from within the roster he assembled. The 3-6-1 Sabres, who began the season 2-0, host the rival Montreal Canadiens on Thursday night in what amounts to a must-win even just a quarter into this shortened season.

It starts with playing a little defense. The Sabres are dead last in the NHL in goals against, allowing an average of 3.70 a game.

"We have to focus our efforts on the defending side, more on stopping goals than scoring goals, and that’s from the goaltending position on out," said Regier. "It’s a team effort. It hasn’t always been the same reasons but they’re linked. The good thing is that, that’s something Lindy’s good at, fixing the defensive side of the game. That’s work we have to do and that’s how we’re going to get better."

Lindy Ruff has been the head coach in Buffalo since 1997. A growing number of Sabres fans -- growing further from last season, when Buffalo missed the playoffs -- would like to see a change behind the bench. But that’s not the plan, Regier said.

"We’re working hard to get this turned around after 10 games," said Regier, who was signed to a five-year extension last month. "And we’ll continue working on it as a team. I have full confidence that the work Lindy and I will do will get it done."

Last edited by a moderator:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Im a Darcy supporter so the extension doesn't bother me, but his firm belief in Ruff is too much

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
His contract ran out they gave him a new one. It doesn't mean he can't be fired.

Mostly posting because the length of the extension wasn't made public...and I didn't know until I read that. The additional comments are interesting though...

Interesting as in ... $!@$ his couch

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
pEIzOiR.gif

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Give it a rest, guys. Just listen to the Black interview. No one in the organization is going to call someone out in a public.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
It's all irrelevant. If we keep under performing then they'll get the sack. Moot point from there really.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Sickening. But, in reality, the contract means nothing.

Then not really sickening at all.

I personally am getting less and less emotionally invested as I "age", but that may be because I have had little to be excited about as far as the on ice product and results are concerned. (I was excited during and after the Burins game. . . .)

I think it will be interesting how this plays out, but it really hinges upon what the players do over the next two weeks. If they keep losing at this pace, I think managemetn will act sooner than the end of the season. My fear is a solid if not spectacular turnaround that results in keeping coaching status quo.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
They'll be like the Bills. They'll turn it around somewhat to the point where they are in a playoff hunt. Ultimately they won't make it but they will have been decent enough where they can't justify firing anyone.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
For someone who had been on 2 year deals for quite a while this is pretty big.

For those who say it means nothing:

Until Pegula actually does something to terminate a contract of that length I'll say its a ****ing joke. The guys deal wasn't even up before he signed it. Giving him 5 years means he is standing by his side. You guys can say he can get fired all you want, but I don't see it happening.

If you are even remotely concerned about the build of this team, you don't extend a guy for FIVE YEARS, 9 months to a year before his contract is up.

Pegula is blind being led by people who know absolutely nothing about the game on the ice.

5 ****ing years. No wonder he didn't want it out publicly.

Just because he CAN fire him, doesn't mean he WILL fire him.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
For someone who had been on 2 year deals for quite a while this is pretty big.

For those who say it means nothing:

Until Pegula actually does something to terminate a contract of that length I'll say its a ****ing joke. The guys deal wasn't even up before he signed it. Giving him 5 years means he is standing by his side. You guys can say he can get fired all you want, but I don't see it happening.

If you are even remotely concerned about the build of this team, you don't extend a guy for FIVE YEARS, 9 months to a year before his contract is up.

Pegula is blind being led by people who know absolutely nothing about the game on the ice.

5 ****ing years. No wonder he didn't want it out publicly.

Just because he CAN fire him, doesn't mean he WILL fire him.
Conversely, just because he extended his contract, doesn't mean he WON'T fire him.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
People will find anything it seems.

I'm okay with this. Darcy isn't my problem. And as stated, he can still be fired despite the extension so...why is everyone so upset. :laugh::laugh:
Uh why are people upset? Maybe because the GM, whose team hasn't won a playoff series since 2007, was just rewarded with a 5 year extension.

Buffalo fans are a strange lot.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Uh why are people upset? Maybe because the GM, whose team hasn't won a playoff series since 2007, was just rewarded with a 5 year extension.

Buffalo fans are a strange lot.

I'm fine with Darcy's moves. For the most part I've loved what he's been oing to help the team since Pegula took over, or at least liked it. I don't want to turn it into another thread about the coach but I think another bench boss could get this team turned around and turn us into something great when the kids come along.

And we all already knew he was extended anyways so the hostility toward it is kind of weird now when we already knew he signed an extension months ago.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm fine with Darcy's moves. For the most part I've loved what he's been oing to help the team since Pegula took over, or at least liked it. I don't want to turn it into another thread about the coach but I think another bench boss could get this team turned around and turn us into something great when the kids come along.

I must be in some bizarro world. You're happy with the moves that have resulted in no playoff successes in nearly 6 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad